Article on Yahoo

Options
Saw this article on Yahoo and figured I'd see what others have to say about it.

http://gma.yahoo.com/13-things-diet-experts-wont-tell-weight-loss-170358888--abc-news.html

Several studies were referenced, but not accurately cited -- so I figured I'd see what all you MFPeeps can come up with. You guys are the best at picking things apart with references. :smile:

Replies

• vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Nobody?
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Yahoo doesn't always have a reputation for valid news articles or stories.

Some decent information to this one but...

Cocoa and dairy helping to lose weight and belly fat? We all know we can't spot reduce so dairy won't reduce belly fat. Weight loss is mainly calories in vs calories out.

Lose weight fast is the best? Healthy, sustainable weight loss is slow and steady.

And wine for weight loss... again, there isn't a food or drink that will cause weight loss or will cause your body to "release fat"

A few good points but mostly typical Yahoo story that states many "facts" but doesn't actually show sources to prove their statements.

I wouldn't believe them without seeing the actual proof.
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    Can't wait to have the wine tonight! I've been saving it for weekends.
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    Totally agree with the article, I have read up extensivly only many of the subjects mentioned, and they are very true.
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I can only comment on 5, 7 & 12 (comfortably)

5. I have lost the majority of my weight so far (43 lbs) via diet SOLELY. Once you start getting closer to your goal I feel like it's more important to add exercise to tone and burn more fat than it is to just cut your calories down to nothing (thank you yoga, snow shoveling and walking like 3 miles at work haha)

7. Everything I've read or been told has indicated that interval training is the best way to burn fat in matters of you will burn it faster. ANY cardio will help you burn fat but if speed is what you're after, HIIT is legit

12. Sleep (and water) is very important to maintaining a healthy weight. From my own experience, lack of sleep throws off my hunger cycle and I can't help but eat more, especially because I'm awake longer and stressed/crabby if I don't get 5+ hours of sleep. I think the LENGTH of time for sleep varies with each person - in my teen years I could live off 4 hours of sleep while my peers needed about 9 hours (avg); now I need probably 6 (the later I stay up, the more sleep I find myself needing).

The rest of them have some truth to them but I'm not really an expert (I'm not an expert on these 3 either) so I can't do anything but speculate my own opinion and some brief research over the course of the past 2 years that I've conducted :)
  • hotmama1174
    hotmama1174 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Number 12-is the reason I think I am having the most trouble losing weight :( -any suggestions folks have for healthy sleep I would love to hear them.

12. Skimping on sleep can negate your calorie cutting.

How long you sleep directly affects your body mass. One study found that dieters who got 8 1/2 hours of sleep nightly lost 56 percent more body fat than they did when eating the same diet but got just 51/2 hours of sleep a night. Other Columbia University research revealed that people may eat 300 extra calories a day when they get a few hours less sleep than usual.

Sleep deprivation interferes with the hormones leptin and ghrelin that regulate appetite. That means you'll feel hungrier and are more likely to indulge in poorer eating behaviors. Also, you may look for more energy in the form of unhealthy snacks!
  • Amy_Lynn74
    Amy_Lynn74 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Interesting article...some makes sense and some doesn't.
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Number 12-is the reason I think I am having the most trouble losing weight :( -any suggestions folks have for healthy sleep I would love to hear them.

How long you sleep directly affects your body mass. One study found that dieters who got 8 1/2 hours of sleep nightly lost 56 percent more body fat than they did when eating the same diet but got just 51/2 hours of sleep a night. Other Columbia University research revealed that people may eat 300 extra calories a day when they get a few hours less sleep than usual.

Sleep deprivation interferes with the hormones leptin and ghrelin that regulate appetite. That means you'll feel hungrier and are more likely to indulge in poorer eating behaviors. Also, you may look for more energy in the form of unhealthy snacks!

I sleep much better if I take a magnesium supplement before bed. For me, and others I know, it makes a big difference.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

yeah.. ignore the dumb part of the article.
    notice they are saying that people who are awake longer tend to eat more.

thats NOT "the same diet"... thats snacking and eating more. so they didnt lose as much weight.

Dont eat more just because you're awake, and you can ignore that "tip".