help im confused

Options
so i am totally confused about the calories you lose when you work out. are you suppossed to eat those calories back or not? i would think you wouldnt want to eat them back and thats how you lose the weight but it seems some people do the opposite and lose weight. im not starving myself, i can work out for an hour or more and burn plenty of calories and im not really any more hungry the rest of the day than i normally am. if i eat back all the calories i burnt off i would feel like im ready to explode. im 5ft 10in and started at 250 lbs and i have insulin resistancy i dont eat a ton on a regular basis so the 1350 calories mfp tells me to eat is fine by me . i know i ate more before i started mfp because i didnt eat as healthy and my portions were out of control. i just need to know if im doing this right or not. :huh:

Replies

• tito_diaz
    tito_diaz Posts: 32
    Options
    I would definetly not go over what your allowed to eat lol i see the working out as a bonus! it can work in your favor if you eat a lil too much but thats up to you :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    MFP has already built the calorie deficit into your daily calorie goal which is why you can eat back your exercise calories and still lose weight. That said, as long as you aren't hungry, and are losing pounds, then there's no reason why you "have" to eat those calories back. There will probably come a time, as you get closer to your goal, where you'll find you do need to eat those extra calories in order to continue to lose weight.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Yes you eat back your exercise calories....don't question it just do it. You will lose weight and not have problems with plateaus. Please just do it. I was used to starving myself to lose weight and MFP showed me that that isn't the case. That is how I have made a life style change because I can eat what I want and lose weight.
  • tito_diaz
    tito_diaz Posts: 32
    Options
    Yes you eat back your exercise calories....don't question it just do it. You will lose weight and not have problems with plateaus. Please just do it. I was used to starving myself to lose weight and MFP showed me that that isn't the case. That is how I have made a life style change because I can eat what I want and lose weight.

So if your gonna eat bad its ok as long as you exercise enough to burn those calories? I like that!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

So if your gonna eat bad its ok as long as you exercise enough to burn those calories? I like that!
    I don't know that I'd say eat "bad". Just eat more. :laugh:
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is to eat some back. I have found if I go over ~1500 calories in, I'll gain no matter how much exercise I do. So I've adjusted accordingly. So even if I earn back a lot more, I just don't use them if I can avoid it.
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I just ensure that my net calories after exercise equal 1200-1400, so yes I eat back most of my exercise calories and I'm still losing weight
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    In order to lose your goal amount of weight and hit your target caloric deficit you must eat them back. MFP is set up so it ignores your exercise goals when giving you your caloric intake, once you exercise you increase the body's need for energy.

If you went to see a nutritionist they would take into account your planned exercise when assigning calories and will tell you to eat that amount everyday, even if you workout 4 days/week, and the caloric intake will be higher then what MFP gives you. When all is said and done if you follow MFP and eat the cals back your cals for the week would be similar the difference is on MFP you eat more on days you workout and less on days you don't, vs. something in the middle everyday.

As an example say MFP gives you 1450 calories to lose 1 lb/week, and you plan on exercising 5x/week for an average of 400 cals per workout. well MFP will tell you to eat 1450 on the days you don't workout and 1850 on the days you do whereas a "professional" may tell you to eat 1750 everyday regardless if you workout.

So for the week MFP will have you eat 12,150 (1450*2+1850*5) whereas doing it the other way will have you eat 12,250 (1750*7) almost the same number of cals for the week. The issue in not following MFP is if you don't workout the full 5 days or burn more or less than planned. If that is the case you may lose more or less than your goal, whereas MFP will have you lose your goal amount regardless how much you actually workout.

What many MFPers do is take the low 1450 and not eat back exercise calories which is wrong, if you are not eating them back then your daily activity level should reflect the higher burn with would be covered in the 1750/day above.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    You should eat back at least half. MFP is not the most accurate so half should be fine and it will give your body more fuel and help keep your metabolism giong
  • rocketmouse
    rocketmouse Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Just to add in some real world experience, my mfp is set to lose 2 pounds a week. Usually I work out 5 times a week and eat back at least 50% or my exercise calories, and lose about 2 pounds a week. Last week I didn't work out at all so I stuck to the calories MFP gave me and I lost about 2 pounds. So, you know, eat your calories back. It's okay, don't be afraid
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I would definately go with eat if you feel hungry, but I still stray away from eating "bad". You can eat "bad" and be thin, but you may not be healthy.