Replies

• JewelE77
    JewelE77 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • melg126
    melg126 Posts: 378
    Options
    Since starting with MFP in October (yes October this is my 2nd account)... I have lost 19 lbs. I have had PCOS since about puberty... I also have Hashimoto Hypothyroidism.

It can be done.
  • kimmianne89
    kimmianne89 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS also. It really does hinder weight loss. I think because of the insulin side, If you basically cut out all the foods that would upset that and basically eat a diabetics diet then it would help. I am really struggling too but it WILL come off. It will just take us a little longer thats all :P
  • adriadawn19
    adriadawn19 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and I found out about 2 years ago. I also have an underactive thyroid. I was supposed to take medicine for it but I am horrible with remembering to take pills besides the fact that I hate taking medicine. I have lost 30 pounds so far with no help from medicine. I have not cut back on anything I eat I just try to moderate. I also try to drink plenty of water and exercise everyday.

If you are having a hard time losing it without medicine I would suggest getting a doctor to prescribe you some form. It might take a while to get the right dose. Medicine or not just put your all into it!

It may be harder to lose the weight but you CAN do it! Add me if you would like.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you talk to your doctor. Everyone's experience is going to be different. As for me, I have PCOS (battled infertility for two years because of it) and have lost 67 lbs over the last 8 months. No medication, counting calories (not restricting carbs), exercise, and dedication. Metformin is a good option for some, but it's not for everyone.

I agree with you...I have been watching my calories...The way I see it if you cut your calories you usually cut everything else. I was diagnosed with PCOS 5 years ago. I have tried Metformin but it was miserable. I could barely move it made me so sick. My husband and I plan to try having children in the near future, but as for now I will stick to just the weight loss ;)

Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to start your menstrual cycle without a prescription? I am currently without insurance and would like to try and start because I haven't had a cycle in over a year.

I think I mentioned in a previous comment that from May to November of last year I lost 45lbs just through diet and exercise. However, since mid-November I haven't lost an inch or an ounce....not even after making changes to my diet and exercise routine. A week and a half ago my doctor put me on Metformin and Synthroid (I also have hypothyroidism). I've already lost three pounds since then. Like you have said, meds won't work for everyone, but they do work for some. I don't think it's fair to tell some one absolutely DON'T try something that might actually work for them even though it didn't work for you, like some on this board have been saying. I say, if you've tried serious diet and exercise and it's not working, at least TRY the meds to see if it helps. Especially if you're like me and you have more than a hundred pounds to lose. I did have cramps and a little diarrhea for about two or three days at first, but my body adjusted and I haven't had any problems since then.
  • mcva929
    mcva929 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

OH to be a boy sometimes!

At least then I'd be ok with the facial hair!

I really wish there was a "like" button for this... I'd like it a million times over! I wouldn't feel so bad thinking about how I have to shave my mustache before going out xD
  • smeyerdirk
    Options
    Love this thread. I have PCOS and have been struggling to lose my final 15 pounds. I have been trying to lose weight for over a year now and after six months I lost 30 pounds (that was six months ago). Since then I have been stuck at my current weight and it is so frustrating, I work out and eat healthy but nothing seems to work. I may have to try cinnamon to see if that can help me break through this awful plateau.
  • Por2gueseMama
    Por2gueseMama Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and weight loss has always been a struggle. I am not on any meds. Right after having my son I lost 50lbs in 9 months which was great with lots of cardio and strict dieting as soon as i stopped doing that i gained almost 20lbs not a happy camper so now i am back on the cardio and strict eating kick trying to lose what i have gained and then some. So waching your carbs and sugars is the way to go. Cardio is very important even just dancing which i love. Good Luck!
  • jcfitnesspal
    Options
    Your post was motivating and I wanted to know how you are doing? I have Hashimoto, and it is taking it's toll. I am so fatigued, and just don't have any energy. My husband who is skinny and fit genetically (lol) wants to help me and mentioned the C25k. I saw that you started and seem to see success. Thanks for the info.
  • ShannonECTD
    ShannonECTD Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Hello, i wasn't diagnosed with PCOS, i had multiple testes done and an ultrasound they found NO cysts but I was told that you could still have PCOS and not have any cysts...

I pretty much have all the other symptoms, irregular menstrual cycle, heavy bleeding (this stopped since i was put on birth control), facial hair, thinning hair on my head, i carry most of my weight around my middle, acne, oily skin, mood swings/depression. I also had a 2 hour glucose tolerance test done and i was told i was Pre-diabetic.

I was prescribed Metformin but i didnt take it after i looked up all the side effects and what not.

I am wondering how you all eat, i know a lot of you limit your carbs and cut out sugar. I try and eat mostly clean foods with complex carbs and lean proteins along with healthy fats like coconut oil, avocado, nuts...
    BUT i eat around 1700-1900 calories a day, i'm 5'4 and 197 pounds, pretty sedentary BUT i go to the gym 6 days a week and do 60-75 minute steady state cardio sessions along with lifting heavy weights 3-4 times a week.

Does anyone else have their calories set to that high and if so what are your macros set to?
  • nanadeek
    nanadeek Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Bump. Losing SO SLOWLY with PCOS. Going to give your experiences a close read.
  • Whirlagirl
    Options
    Hello, i wasn't diagnosed with PCOS, i had multiple testes done and an ultrasound they found NO cysts but I was told that you could still have PCOS and not have any cysts...

I pretty much have all the other symptoms, irregular menstrual cycle, heavy bleeding (this stopped since i was put on birth control), facial hair, thinning hair on my head, i carry most of my weight around my middle, acne, oily skin, mood swings/depression. I also had a 2 hour glucose tolerance test done and i was told i was Pre-diabetic.

I was prescribed Metformin but i didnt take it after i looked up all the side effects and what not.

I am wondering how you all eat, i know a lot of you limit your carbs and cut out sugar. I try and eat mostly clean foods with complex carbs and lean proteins along with healthy fats like coconut oil, avocado, nuts...
    BUT i eat around 1700-1900 calories a day, i'm 5'4 and 197 pounds, pretty sedentary BUT i go to the gym 6 days a week and do 60-75 minute steady state cardio sessions along with lifting heavy weights 3-4 times a week.

Does anyone else have their calories set to that high and if so what are your macros set to?
    I have the same symptoms without cysts or diabetes, which is weird considering my size. Explaining my trouble losing weight, ease in regaining, abdominal fat, and other symptoms has been in uphill battle with all doctors, from Gyn to GP, so congrats on finding a doctor willing to test and hear you out. :)

My macros fall within the frame of 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat.
    1700 calories - 170g protein - 128g carbs - 50-60g fat - 40g sugar. I also chart sodium and try to keep it to 1,500mg or less.

I have never actually reached my protein goals, but with protein shakes and including protein with each meal, I'm usually between 100-130 per day. Carbs I'm usually at least 120 and under 200.

Previously I was mostly cardio with a little weight training in hopes of facilitating fat loss, but I've recently decided that's not working for my body. :( Two months ago I began IF and lost some weight, but still only experiencing a 1lb weight loss per week when calorie deficit should create a 3lb loss per week (Gah, PCOS!).

Currently I am beginning a heavy lifting program and adding shorter duration HIIT training. Still tinkering with the routine, but I'm in the 290s now and that's breaking a several year plateau, so hopeful for long terms fat loss and muscle gain, which is easy for my body (thanks, PCOS!).

Stats: 5'11, 295lbs. Classic PCOS apple shape with broad shoulders and slender lower body.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    BUmp for friend
  • Harriann84
    Options
    I have PCOS and not everyone with it can get on Metformin. I have been refused it many a time because I am not actively trying to conceive now.

A low GI diet has been proven to help PCOS sufferers. I am following Slimming World with some variations. With the PCOS I have IBS (after having my gallbladder out) as well, so have to stay away from my triggers (fat and oats are a big issue).

Experiment and don't be afraid to vary your diet and activities. I found that natural sugars break down easier for me, so I up my fruit intake.

Good luck x
  • molliepw
    molliepw Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Question: What is the percentage of people who are over weight with PCOS? I have two sisters that have it, one has never been over weight, the other was, but when diagnosed lost the majority of it and was at a normal bmi. Both cases are between moderate/severe. I also know 2 ballet students who have PCOS and have never had a problem with their weight.
    I'm not sure about the weight percentage, but I do know that there are 5 different types of PCOS.... some don't include obesity as a symptom (ie. Victoria Beckham has PCOS). The different types are listed here:

http://www.soulcysters.net/showthread.php/129677-5-Types-of-PCOS
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!