Feels like I am starving....

Options
I dont know what it is but I am feeling hungry lately. I have my coffee and oatmeal about 8:30am. I have a snack about 11 usually greek yogurt, blackberries and a little bit of honey. But I try to wait until 1:30 to each lunch because I have to work until 4:30 and that makes a long time before dinner if I eat earlier than that. However, I am still hungry and lately even after I eat dinner at home I binge on things I shouldnt eat or at least have as much of. I am watching my carbs, fats and protein which I usually hit before I get all of my daily calories (1600). I need filling foods that are low in fat, low in carbs and high in protein. Any suggestions or words of advice? Anything will help.

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Eat more throughout the day. If you're hungry, you need to eat.
    I try to always drink 8-16 ounces of water whenever I'm hungry, just to see if I was actually thirsty instead. If I'm still hungry at that point, I eat!
  • cherryolac
    Options
    Try eating every 3-4 hours meal snack meal snack and so on 6 small meals/snacks helps.keep from binging and helps you stay full.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're getting set to graze grab a handful of baby carrots, they're tasty and good for you and satisfy that craving to chew on something.

It sounds like you're going through the same thing I did the first little while logging my food, you become acutely aware of what you're eating or, more importantly, what you're not eating. For a short time I obsessed about food.......

If you're staying within your total calories (and aren't diabetic) I wouldn't worry too much about going over on carbs and fats (unless you're eating a lot of saturated or trans fats) .
  • kanstulpants
    kanstulpants Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You might want to try eating more protein/fat and less carbs in the morning. I used to eat oatmeal for breakfast and could never understand why I would be absolutely starving two hours later. I would be less hungry if I just skipped breakfast.

Now I usually eat a few slices of bacon and I'm good until noon or later.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I have to eat often throughout the day, about every 3-4 hours. I have two snacks and lunch during my 9 to 5. My snacks are usually things like *raspberries, pistachios, and triscuits, *almonds, clementine, triscuits, *apple with peanut butter and popcorn, *greek yogurt with kashi cereal, *celery with walnut butter and rasins, and *butternut squash soup, apple sauce and corn cakes. If my snacks are high in calories I will break it down into two as opposed to eating two seperate snacks. The first one I have around 11am, go on lunch at 1:30pm and the last snack I have around 4pm (which usually holds me over til dinner is done, I do cook almost immediately after I get home around 6).
  • hanna6774
    hanna6774 Posts: 225
    Options
    If you are truly hungry, then EAT! I don't know what your exercise routine or food intake is like but if you are quite active you may need to eat more. Also, your breakfast has no protein that may be holding you back. It's not just the quantity (calories) you eat but the quality too. For example, you could eat 1/2 cup of whipping cream or almost 100 cups of cream of wheat for the same fat content - which would fill you up more? An extreme example but you know what I mean. Good Luck!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    You might want to try eating more protein/fat and less carbs in the morning. I used to eat oatmeal for breakfast and could never understand why I would be absolutely starving two hours later. I would be less hungry if I just skipped breakfast.

Now I usually eat a few slices of bacon and I'm good until noon or later.

^This!

I have a fruit smoothie and two hard boiled eggs every morning and I am hungry, but not starving by lunch. I have a salad with some form of protein, normally 4-5 ounces, for lunch then a banana before heading the the gym in the afternoon. I am fine until dinner and am not hungry again until I get up the next morning.
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    What kind of workouts are you doing? I work out pretty hard and usually burn big numbers (cardio AND heavy lifting). But I find on days that I lift I can't stuff my face fast enough! I know there's a logical scientific reason for that I'm not going to get into now, but if you're strength training, that could be an explanation.
  • Jaffy55806
    Jaffy55806 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Right now I am not doing my normal routine as our gym is getting re-invented. But normally I am doing 2 days of intense circuit training and then 2-3 days of cardio with some strength training. I think my body is going through withdrawal from my workouts because those are my days where I eat lots because I know the calorie burn is huge.
  • Jaffy55806
    Jaffy55806 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Took some of the advice I received last night and this morning woke up early and cooked some egg beaters and turkey bacon and a slice of whole wheat toast. I am feeling great and now its snack time which works out great for me Greek yogurt, blackberries and honey. Next up lunch at 1:30 which is "hot stuff" chicken and steamed broccoli. Questbar for afternoon snack!