Anyone else drinking most of their calories?

Options
I was just curious if anyone else has this issue too.
..i find more than 50% of my calories are liquid.
from coffee (with honey and coconut milk) to watered down fruit juices..
but the biggest contributer is booze
i like my beer...i am Canadian :)..and vodka soda just dosent quite do the trick

Replies

• goforkissy
    goforkissy Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Yes! It's the beer. I'm a huge Heineken fan and just can't seem to give it up. I am positive it's hindering my weight loss, but i can't help it!
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    It's so easy to drink away your calories. But liquids just don't keep me full, so I have cut down on calorie laden liquids. I have only a bit of almond milk or half and half in my coffee...I gave up juices (WAY too high in sugars and calories)...and I only drink alcohol in moderation. I do miss my creamy coffee and sweet tea, so badly...
  • Jen_ht
    Jen_ht Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Me too! I find I usually drink back and over my calorie limit - end up 100 over because I love my glass of wine to help me unwind in the evening!
  • ktkennelly
    Options
    Me too!! I am a total wine-o, and I love Blue Moon beer! Both are so bad for me and I know its not helping me lose my weight but I too can not give it up!
  • kkbeard
    kkbeard Posts: 20
    Options
    I make darn sure that I have a cpl hundred cals left at the end of the day for wine!! It's the perfect end to my kids filled crazy days!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am drinking most of my calories, but in protein shakes! LOL! I actually don't drink alcohol at all.
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I allow myself coffee with creamer in the mornings, but then it's water and fresh brewed green tea the rest of the day.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Nope. But, I do need to add in protein shakes or smoothies to up my calories.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    the only calories i typically drink are in my protein shakes. last time i had any alcohol was almost two months ago.
  • shayjgordon
    shayjgordon Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    On days that I drink, my calories are mostly booze...other than water and SF redbull, alcohol is the only other thing I drink. I'm Canadian too, so I totally hear yah! I had a peek at your profile and noticed you're from Salmon Arm...I'm originally from North Vancouver, but I moved to Quesnel when I had my daughter. I'm actually making a trip down to Salmon Arm this weekend to visit a friend...small world! haha
    maybe instead of juice, you could get the crystal light powders? i find them a good change when water just cant do it
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I used to! Not so much from acohol, but soda, gatorade, juice, whatever. I used to joke that I had a separate circulatory system just for Dr. Pepper.

These days, I just stick to water most of the time.
  • Carrot1971
    Carrot1971 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty! I love a glass of wine or bottle of beer (or two or three) at the end of the day. I typically end up over my calories because it just tastes so good. Now the its getting warm out I will be grilling more food. Grill=Beer. Its a law written somewhere...I read it! lol
  • dancingqueen2013
    dancingqueen2013 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am a big fan of the Shiraz (red wine) and could quite happily drink it every night but I'm certain it hinders my weight loss even when I keep it within the calorie limit; Drinking alcohol makes me hold water and then I think it just turns into fat. boo hoo:-( so I try to have as many alcohol free days as possible and keep it as a treat. Beer is bad as well so you should try to limit it to a couple of nights a week and only have one or two. For a night out it is probably better to drink spirits with a diet mixer. Good luck.
  • VictoriaRHunt
    Options
    yes! coffee mostly
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    ALOT of people do, drinking calories is a significant reason most people are overweight...because people don't really think of liquid calories as real calories (kind of like using a debit card instead of cash to buy things).

The biggest problem with it I could see is that not alot of drinks have the nutrients your body needs, and most drinks have a ton of sugars. I know some drinks advertise they have important things in them, but they usually have alot of bad stuff too (protien shakes have tons of sugars, for example). So if you stick with drinking a large portion of calories you aren't going to be able to get all the protien/vitamins/carbs you need to really be healthy, like you would if you were getting your calories from fruits, veggies, lean meats, etc.

It is good you are aware of it, at least.
    Alcohol tends to be my Achilles heel as well. :(
    Good luck!
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    For me, it depends. Fridays are my free days where it's probably more liquid calories than solids: a little Chianti to prime the pump and I'm out of the gate and off the reservation....
    You have to be careful about the alcohol since it is a depressant (slows your body and metabolism down). I avoid fruit juices because of the high sugar content. I recommend drinking water instead. Plus the extra water helps if you go overboard with the adult beverages.
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    i am.
    due to something horribly wrong with a throat surgery.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    It's extremely rare that I drink calories. I have two-three sodas a year and have the very occasional protein shake, but not even one of those in months now. I just drink plain water the bulk of the time and occasional tea.
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Yes, I drink fruit smoothies, protein shakes, and Herbalife Formula 1 and 24.

:)
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I drink only water and alcohol occasionally. I am also Canadian and love my beer but it's a sacrifice I had to make. For alcohol I will drink rum and diet coke and log it with my calories to be sure I don't go over. I had a Stella this weekend as a treat, just make it more of a reward :)