Saturated fats - as evil as they are made out?

Options
2»

Replies

• kantone999
    kantone999 Posts: 174
    Options
    Many thanks, all! Your feedback and input is much appreciated. I've been aware of the importance of fats for brain function, those wonderful EFAs!, for some time, but have only relatively recently become aware of the change in view on cholesterol etc. Fortunately, my numbers on that front at least are all good. It's great to have my thoughts on the matter of saturated fats from protein sources confirmed fairly unanimously. No matter how logical something seems, it's good to have a second, third, fourth...opinion to make sure one is actually being logical, rather than indulging in wishful thinking!

One quick question for kantone999; other than coconut oil, are there other, more easily-available sources of MCTs?

Uh, yeah but two of them you may not want to add to your diet. The other rich sources of MCTs are palm kernel oil, camphor tree drupes and mare's milk. Numerous cultures use camphor as a spice while in the west it's usually considered only a liniment.

Kumis is a fermented dairy product traditionally made from mare's milk. The drink remains important to the peoples of the Central Asian steppes, of Turkic and Mongol origin: Bashkirs, Kazakhs, Kyrgyz, Yakuts, Mongols and Kalmyks.[1] It was also consumed by Baltic, Hungarian tribes.[2]

Kumis is a dairy product similar to kefir but is produced from a liquid starter culture, in contrast to the solid kefir "grains". Because mare's milk contains more sugars than the cow's or goat's milk fermented into kefir, kumis has a higher, though still mild, alcohol content. I've had it. It's stronger than cow or goat milk. The taste has to grow on you, kind of like yogurt or cottage cheese. Yes, you can buy it in some ethnic food stores so you don't have to milk your own horse.

Ah... perhaps I'll go looking for some coconut oil after all! Sadly, milkable or otherwise, there's not much room for stabling a mare (and presumably foal) in Central London. Thanks for expanding on why coconut oil is clearly the preferable option :laugh:

Agreed although you could prolly earn her keep selling carriage rides. At least you're all set for your next vacation to the Mongolian steppes...:tongue: