Cheat day

Options
What is your opinion on "cheat days"? I have heard, that it works, It can move your metabolism and you loose fat faster...do you apply this? I think it works for me...

Replies

• vabrewer33
    vabrewer33 Posts: 185
    Options
    Oh gosh this topic has run the gamut for sure! It works for some people, it doesn't for others. I always have a cheat day, not on purpose-just a total lack of self control, and I haven't lost any considerable weight so I think it is personally detrimental for me...but like I said, it works for some and not for others
  • Tulipgirl1223
    Tulipgirl1223 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't have a cheat day, but I have 1 cheat meal a week that I don't log.
  • GouchisGirl
    GouchisGirl Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I think everyone has different ideas regarding "cheat" days, but I believe in them.... I personally do "cheat" weekends. I don't log any calories on the weekend. I have reached my goal doing this, maintained it, and am still building muscle and losing inches in the process. :) I think its possible that it keeps your metabolism guessing, and it helps you from wanting to over indulge during the week. If nothing else, you can try it, if you find its not working for you then go back to no cheat days :) Good luck!
  • epcorne
    epcorne Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My cheat meals come from lack of preparation and exhaustion. When it is time to eat and I don't have a usual snack available and I can't measure out my portions like normal, I just eat whatever is most readily available. Also, my boyfriend and I usually eat out twice a month for date nights. I count drinking as "cheating" too. I cheated a LOT this past weekend. Ugh.
  • SammyPacks
    SammyPacks Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I've just started doing it once every other week or so... and cheat = 3000+ calories, since I normally eat around 2000 daily (plus I work out 6 days a week with Insanity...so my hunger has shot up). It has been working more inches wise rather than weight. But... that's just a given with the Insanity program.
  • roycelynberry
    roycelynberry Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    my trainer told me that he has found that when he tells his client 1 or 2 cheat meals are ok that he has found that it helps them stick with their diet the other days and for a longer period of time rather then his clients whom try to deprive them self of anything they use to like he said they usually end up giving in or stopping there diet not all but some. I know in the past I tried not having cheat days and ended up quieting my diets and work out very shortly after this I have stuck with it and still exercise on my cheat days.
  • TrueBlueBruin78
    TrueBlueBruin78 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    This seems to be a hot topic nowadays. I think it helps more mentally than physically, at least just for me. But its great i have a "refuel" day where i log everything, but that day i can have anything i want, it helps me get ready, like a reset button, for the week ahead.

It really helps me.
  • CouldBeAHotMom
    Options
    Personally, I am not doing cheat days/meals. I am working on a lifestyle change, not a "diet" which means I am practicing moderation, and eating REAL serving sizes, not typical servings. So if I want ice cream (ok so delicious dairy free "ice cream") I will have it, but I will have 1 scoop instead of 3 or 4. Lots of advice on myplate.gov on how to move towards healthier portions. Owning a food scale has also been very helpful.
  • Aureilie
    Aureilie Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I am working on a lifestyle change, not a "diet" ...

See, this is exactly why I allow myself 1 cheat meal a week. I could not sustain this lifestyle change if I wasn't allowed to let loose and drink every once in a while or go have a nice meal at a restaurant for date night. I usually don't eat the whole plate of whatever I order but if I wanted to I'd allow myself to do so. It hasn't been causing me any setbacks. In fact, I had 3 slices of real pizza, a soda, and an order of mozzarella sticks Friday night and still lost 2lbs this week.

As has been said though, different strategies work for different people.
  • epcorne
    epcorne Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I think that if you're on MFP, you are looking for more than a fad "diet" or "quick fix." Most of us here are practicing lifestyle changes and adjusting to it. It's a process. It is important to stock up on healthy snacks and meals in your home so that you have more reason to eat in and feel better about snacking on fruits or veggies rather than potato chips.
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    It's for the weak minded. Only the Strong Survive.
  • owl5454
    owl5454 Posts: 16
    Options
    I personally don't like them but fall into cheat days, when I'm having a bad day but I won't have one more than once a week say.
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    I don't schedule my "cheat days", but I allow them occasionally, and I do log them. Since I currently have myself down for a daily deficit of 1000 calories, I can afford to go over by a few hundred or so once in a while and not feel guilty about it, because I know I'm still trending downward.

As far as whether to allow them or not - that's an individual choice. Some people are very rigid about keeping their calorie totals below their target every day; others know they can still get positive results while at the same time allowing a little flexibility. Whatever works for you.

(BTW - while I allow myself the occasional cheat day with respect to calories, I am less flexible when it comes to my pedometer - I *HAVE* to hit my 10,000-step daily goal before I go to bed.)
  • CouldBeAHotMom
    Options
    I am working on a lifestyle change, not a "diet" ...

See, this is exactly why I allow myself 1 cheat meal a week. I could not sustain this lifestyle change if I wasn't allowed to let loose and drink every once in a while or go have a nice meal at a restaurant for date night. I usually don't eat the whole plate of whatever I order but if I wanted to I'd allow myself to do so. It hasn't been causing me any setbacks. In fact, I had 3 slices of real pizza, a soda, and an order of mozzarella sticks Friday night and still lost 2lbs this week.

As has been said though, different strategies work for different people.

I still do those things as well, just in moderation. So instead of having a cocktail with a ton of calories I will have a glass of wine. Instead of having a double pepperoni pizza I will have vegetarian. I am focusing on modifying and moderating the foods I consume so I don't feel the need to cheat because I still eat the foods I love. Take last night, I had a bowl of potato soup, before I made it with tons of butter, bacon, peeled potatoes, cheese cream, sour cream, etc and ate it in a bread bowl. This time I used dairy free substitutes (I have learned I am sensitive to dairy) used half the bacon, no butter, carrots, celery etc and served it in a bowl with pita chips. I still get my soup but it is modified to be better for me and my family (and still tastes great!) It has been my experience, both personally and talking with other people, that when you feel deprived and in need of "cheat days" you are less likely to sustain your desired weight. So, because I desire a lifetime of health instead of just a change in pants size I am doing it differently.

If it works for you and you can continue to maintain past your goal weight that's awesome.

Good luck.
  • Crying_In_Color
    Crying_In_Color Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I do not see the need in a cheat day. I am personally looking for a completely new lifestyle. Why would I want to go back to old habits?
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Options
    I incorporate a little bit of "cheating" into every day's menu. Usually it'll be a square of dark chocolate, or maybe some jelly beans - just something small and simple that keeps me feeling happy. I used to avoid candy and fat like the plague but noticed I would get to the weekend and binge because I felt too hungry or deprived.

If I ever cheat "officially" it's only on holidays or special occasions. Like for Easter or at a family get-together I will eat some dessert, but only a small portion. It's okay to go over your calories every once in a while. Just try to do it on birthdays or on a night you go out.

The whole concept of a cheat day, though, is really part of a diet mentality and you should look to be developing a healthy lifestyle instead. Consider it a normal lifestyle rather than something extra special, you know?
  • Wampiress
    Wampiress Posts: 22
    Options
    Normal lifestyle means for me not to be so perfect all the time...I am fitness freak, but when I am with my friends and they want me to eat McFlurry and Big mac menu with them...why not? Health is not only about body, but about relationships and mental health either...isnt it? And CHEAT day sounds me much better than "to fail" or piging out or binging....and I have read many articles on the web which tells its good to have sometimes something like that:-)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    To be completely honest, on months when I do have cheat days (once a week) I do better than when I dont have it. When I do have the cheat days, I make sure to make it count though and cook something delicious for myself or go to a nice place rather than just some fast food (I hate fast food joints...)
  • Lord007
    Lord007 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I currently have Fridays as my "cheat" days, but I don't look it as cheating. I still log everything I eat, regardless. If nothing else, so I know what exactly I'm doing to myself in the process. I'm exercising at least 30 mins a day 6 days a week to accomplish my weight goal and my Fridays are part of the overall plan.
  • kantone999
    kantone999 Posts: 174
    Options
    The idea behind a cheat day has to do with keeping leptin at its normal level. The amount of body fat you have determines your leptin level. Basically, people with higher levels of body fat will have greater leptin levels than those with lower body fat percentages because fat cells release leptin.

Tthe way leptin levels are adjusted by your body is also affected by the amount and types of calories you eat. A fat loss diet causes your body to reduce leptin levels, regardless of how much body fat you have. After just 6-8 days of dieting, leptin levels will drop by at least 50-60%. This sends a signal to the brain that you’re starving and not eating enough food.

Your body responds by slowing metabolism slightly to conserve energy. There is also a hormone response--your thyroid hormones are also reduced substantially and you release more cortisol (the hormone that likes to store fat, especially in your stomach area).

As if all this wasn’t bad enough, your body now releases other hormones to increase appetite. So now your body is trying to store more fat and now you have to deal with cravings for the food you’re trying to avoid in the first place.

Enter the cheat day. Increase calorie intake and leptin levels rise, especially if you've fasted the day before the cheat day. I've been doing this for the past two weeks without the fast day and have already lost a full inch from my waist.