Too Much Sugar

Options
I keep going over my suggested sugar levels, but the thing is my sugar comes form 2 sources, yogurt and fruit. Since the sugar is not from candy, pop or other items lacking nutritional value, is it ok to go over as long as I am eating "healthy" sugars?

I think my diary is open, if not let me know and I will see if I can make it viewable.

Replies

• davidlbass
    davidlbass Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    The only limit I really worry about is total calories, doesn't matter where it comes from or in what form.
  • obeseto13point1
    obeseto13point1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have ran into the same problem, I wish there was a way to distinguish from natural and refined sugars.
  • dseverson5
    Options
    I have the same problem and was wondering if anyone else does too. I eat healthy as well and no matter what I do, I always have more sugar than what is recommended. Wonder sometimes if that is the reason I have not been losing weight.
  • steflbrown
    steflbrown Posts: 168
    Options
    I am having the same problem. Granted today I went over because I treated myself to Starbucks (whoops!). But yesterday all my sugar came from fruit and milk. And I was way over in sugar but under in calories.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    Unless you are diabetic I would not worry about the natural sugars. Diabetics need to stay away from fruit juices but if you're not its ok in limited amounts. Whole fruits are better because they absorb slower and have all the fiber.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I never count sugar from fruit. As long as you're under your calories, you're all set!
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    It's not open, but I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you're eating several portions of fruit daily. That's where most of my sugars come from also...
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Fruit contains many types of sugars, including fructose and sucrose (same as table sugar). Your body treats sucrose the same whether it comes from candy or fruit. If you are Type 2 diabetic or insulin resistant, you need to limit fruit. Otherwise, if you are within your calorie limit and are losing weight, don't worry.
  • lmd172
    lmd172 Posts: 172
    Options
    i just started tracking my sugars the other day and did not realize how over i was going, not really. and, like most of you, i'm still over but eating fruits and such...still trying to find a good balance! (-:
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I ignore the sugar recommendation. Pretty much all of my sugar intake is from fruits and vegetables, I get plenty of protein, fat, and fiber, so I don't worry about it.
  • AbiNichole
    AbiNichole Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary- I think it's still closed. Unfortunately, sugar is sugar. Your body breaks down sucrose and fructose the same. So there is a benefit to limiting your overall sugar intake each day. It's a good idea to get in the habit of eating healthy- especially fruits and veggies, etc. BUT when you're trying to lose weight sugar can of any kind can hinder your progress.

I try to limit myself to just 2 servings of fruit a day. And only 1 serving of fruit if I know I'm going to have some other sugar or carbs.

Yogurt can easily put you over your sugar limit. Many low cal yogurts add fillers to make them taste yummy. Greek yogurt w/ added fruit on the bottom can also be bad for weight loss. As a general rule of thumb I go for yogurts that have 13g or less of sugar- which usually limits you to plain or vanilla flavored.

But hey- take what I say w/ a grain of salt (pun intended :laugh: ) Different strokes, different folks. Find out what works for your body. This is just what works for me. :flowerforyou:
  • bekiifisk
    bekiifisk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I admit I do eat too much sugar as I have small meals then snack on what ever is around at work but I feel ill if I eat too much for my meals! From what I have learnt you should only really have max 2 portions of fruit a day (then at least 3 of veg) and the sugar from this I think is ok as its not refined but sugars from biscuits and cakes is all processed and should be avoided!

From the reading I have done sugar is stored as fat when it is not burnt so it is best (if you are going to eat it) in the morning so you burn it during the day.
  • chynn
    chynn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    there are some fruits that have a higher sugar load than others (i.e. bananas).
    watching your sugar and carb intake can definitely have an effect on belly fat.
    ive been trying to use the glycemic index to help me choose foods that wont have as harsh an effect on my blood glucose levels as well as get this tummy fat down.
    google the "glycemic index" you'll find some really good and surprising info in regards to fruits, sugars, carbs, etc.

here's a starter for ya:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glycemic_index

hope this helps! :)
    chin
  • MzFreeSpirited
    Options
    ive been trying to use the glycemic index to help me choose foods that wont have as harsh an effect on my blood glucose levels as well as get this tummy fat down.
    google the "glycemic index" you'll find some really good and surprising info in regards to fruits, sugars, carbs, etc.

here's a starter for ya:

chin

Thanks for this Info Chynn ;)
  • ainzerillo
    ainzerillo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    It's frustrating. All of my sugars are from fruit. I need to find a "better" snack I guess. I was eating a banana with breakfast and then an apple as a snack between breakfast and lunch, and then again between lunch and dinner.
  • red_hatorade
    Options
    Ok, diary open.
  • AddictedtoTattoos
    Options
    So, is yogurt really not healthy for you? Becase even if I eat it in the morning I'll be over my daily goal at the end of the day when it's added to other things. I miss my Orange juice but i"m so worried about going over on my sugar, that's why I cut soda out of my life.
    I guess my question is is it ok to eat sugar from healthy places? (I.E. yogurt, milk, juice) And just bad from Soda because that's all Soda has, plus the calories?
  • agentscully514
    Options
    So, is yogurt really not healthy for you? Becase even if I eat it in the morning I'll be over my daily goal at the end of the day when it's added to other things. I miss my Orange juice but i"m so worried about going over on my sugar, that's why I cut soda out of my life.
    I guess my question is is it ok to eat sugar from healthy places? (I.E. yogurt, milk, juice) And just bad from Soda because that's all Soda has, plus the calories?

yogurt (just yogurt) is great! flavored and sweetened yogurt is a sugar bomb with craploads of additives! which one are you eating?
  • agentscully514
    Options
    It's frustrating. All of my sugars are from fruit. I need to find a "better" snack I guess. I was eating a banana with breakfast and then an apple as a snack between breakfast and lunch, and then again between lunch and dinner.

that's not what your diary shows for the last week, just fyi.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

here's a starter for ya:

chin

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/532251-let-s-talk-about-the-gi-index