1/2 Marathon

Options
Anyone on here can give me some pointers on training for a half marathon? I just signed up for a half today that is Sept 23. Currently I run 3x per week, 2-3 miles 2 of the days and 5mi the other plus I do 2-3 weight lifting classes (Group Power), 1 piloxing, and 1 zumba a week. (I combine stuff so that I don't do too much high impact in one day, and usually workout 5 days a week). I have done 5ks and 10ks before but didn't really train for them. I don't want to end up injured and I don't want to give up the fitness classes either.

Replies

• scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    The best tip is to find a plan and stick to it. Galloway, Higdon, whatever. Follow the plan, trust the plan. Have fun.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Trust the plan.
  • bshedwick
    bshedwick Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Have you look at Hal Higdon's Half Marathon program yet? He's got one for beginners. For any program, you should be comfortable with running at least 3 miles at a time, a couple of times a week.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Look up the Hal Higdon Novice 1 or 2 level and see how that goes for a while. Given the time you have, it might be a good idea to start that and then move into the next one up for your training cycle leading up to the race.
  • amayarnell
    amayarnell Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    JEFF GALLOWAY! he's the man! i ran my first half marathon last year because of his training plan!
  • rdsxgrl28
    rdsxgrl28 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    What you are doing is a great regimen actually. I would say about 4 mos before try a 6.5 and see how you feel, if you can do that comfortably the 1/2 should be well within range.

Go to coolrunning.com - you will find all sorts of plans and great advice from experienced runners,.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I did Hidgons novice and completed my first Half 3 weeks ago. It worked really well, it's loosely structured and you can go at your own pace and also there are rest days so you can rearrange the schedule if you need to.