Eating your calories

Options
Is it just me or is there anyone else WAY under their calorie goal? MFP has me eating 1,590 calories per day. I have a lot of weight to lose and thought that was too much for me since I want to lose. Anyways, I feel like I eat enough to fuel my body, I'm never starving nor do I feel weak. The problem is that 95% of the time I don't even eat 1,000 calories in a day. From my understanding isn't it harder to lose weight if you aren't eating enough? Thoughts?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    With 100+ pounds to lose, you are probably okay at around 1000 for a while. It's more important that you get the weight off. You have significant fat stores to sustain you - IF you are supplementing with vitamins and minerals, AND you are getting sufficient protein.

You should be doing this with your doctor's supervision, though. It's hard to get enough nutrients at that low of a calorie intake unless you are super-diligent about your food choices.
  • stacymama5
    stacymama5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I really think it shouldn't matter unless your starving. My setting is 1200. I usually eat most of them but don't always eat back my excersise calories.
  • maryannmiclat
    maryannmiclat Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I take vitamins daily. As for protein, I know for a fact I'm not getting enough. I don't eat meat, I eat eggs and seafood once in a while. I have been looking for an animal free protein powder so I can get my protein that way. Thanks for the input.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I take vitamins daily. As for protein, I know for a fact I'm not getting enough. I don't eat meat, I eat eggs and seafood once in a while. I have been looking for an animal free protein powder so I can get my protein that way. Thanks for the input.

Vegetarian forms of protein are often high in carbs, which get stored as fat if they aren't used for energy. Soy has phytoestrogens which can affect your normal hormone levels. If you aren't looking for vegan protein you can supplement with whey protein.
  • darkmouzy
    darkmouzy Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I'm getting used to this as well I'm set at 1200 calories a day and sometimes eat my calories back or not depeding on how much of a difference there is.

I'm new to this way of thinking in context of eating 1200 calories and then eating more one i've worked out it's still a struggle for me :(
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    You are obviously losing weight but without the protein then you can lose muscle, and 1000 cals a day any one can lose weight...but it isn`t really sustainable. Maybe do it that way for a short while but it is not a long term thing.

IMHO you need to take it slow and steady to make it a change for life....lose a little weight the way you are going and then balance it out.

What about protein shakes?
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options

I just bought a formula (okay... maybe two) from here. :) They aren't incredibly high carbs, either. And most of the carbs in the ones I bought, are fiber--which don't get digested as other carbs.

http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?x=0&y=0&ntk=products&ss=1&Ntt=vegan protein

If you want a link to save 10.00, you can PM me, and I'd be happy to share!! :)
  • zinok
    zinok Posts: 185
    Options
    Jeeze! What are you eating that you're satisfied with 1000? I usually end up eating around 1500 and working out to make up for the extra calories.
  • wheezybreezy
    wheezybreezy Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I would say that this is way too low. I agree that you will lose muscle. Also, your metabolism is going to come to a screeching halt. I do NOT think that this is a good idea for the long term. Let the weight come off gradually, and it will be much less likely to come back.
  • maryannmiclat
    Options
    My weight is coming off slow. I've been sticking to this since late Aug/early Sept with quite a few set set backs. I would think that a 36 pound loss is good, it averages out to 1 pound per week. I'm not looking to lose weight fast, I've done that in the past and all it got me was 80 pounds down with 100 pounds gained. I know that if I'm not eating enough protein I can lose muscle and that is the last thing I want. I just don't eat when I'm not hungry. Trust me, I can easily down the 1,590 MFP has for me and more if I could eat the stuff I used to eat.
  • maryannmiclat
    Options
    Jeeze! What are you eating that you're satisfied with 1000? I usually end up eating around 1500 and working out to make up for the extra calories.

Oatmeal, it keeps me full. Fresh fruit and veggies, they too keep me fuller longer. I eat whenever I'm hungry. On the weekends I eat a little more (Not going over calories).
  • maryannmiclat
    Options
    You are obviously losing weight but without the protein then you can lose muscle, and 1000 cals a day any one can lose weight...but it isn`t really sustainable. Maybe do it that way for a short while but it is not a long term thing.

IMHO you need to take it slow and steady to make it a change for life....lose a little weight the way you are going and then balance it out.

First, what does IMHO mean?

I am scared of losing muscle. I want to build muscle as I lose weight and its going to be hard to do when I'm not getting enough protein.

Protein shakes, I've been trying to find one I like and one that is animal free. I found one I liked a few years back from GNC, it tasted just like chocolate milk and was low in calories and carbs. I haven't been able to find anything like it. Heck, I don't even remember what brand it was.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Lots of "probablys" and "I would thinks", etc.

Look at the sticky threads at the top. They'll answer your questions and back it up with science.
  • MrsMaybe
    MrsMaybe Posts: 4
    Options
    I can't eat under 1200 calories if I do Im super cranky and no fun to be around!
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    With 100+ pounds to lose, you are probably okay at around 1000 for a while.

Wow lol, encouraging people to live an unhealthy lifestyle? Way to go.:noway:
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

First, what does IMHO mean?

I am scared of losing muscle. I want to build muscle as I lose weight and its going to be hard to do when I'm not getting enough protein.

Protein shakes, I've been trying to find one I like and one that is animal free. I found one I liked a few years back from GNC, it tasted just like chocolate milk and was low in calories and carbs. I haven't been able to find anything like it. Heck, I don't even remember what brand it was.

IMHO = "in my humble opinion" or "in my honest opinion."

How about hemp protein shakes? Something like: http://nutivahempshake.com/about.htm
  • annecolorgreen
    annecolorgreen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes every day...not sure if they are vegan friendly. Pure Protein chocolate whey powder, plus almond milk, plus banana, plus PB2 (powdered peanut butter--less calories), plus a handful of spinach. It's very tasty--even my husband liked it! On another note, if you want to increase your calories a bit, regular peanut butter is a good source of protein plus calories.
  • annecolorgreen
    annecolorgreen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    oh, and I've been running for awhile and GAINING weight while trying to keep my calories down. I've been going to a dietician for a couple of weeks...kept diet the same the first week--no loss--but INCREASED calories this week and I'm down! Just a thought.
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    With 100+ pounds to lose, you are probably okay at around 1000 for a while.

Wow lol, encouraging people to live an unhealthy lifestyle? Way to go.:noway:

1000 is WAYYYY too low. You will lose on this for a while, no doubt but it will catch up to you. Eat more and move more. Slow way is a great way. Keep up the good work, but please eat more.