Replies

• rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    its not so much the sugars as its the sodium in them you should watch
  • odownz
    odownz Posts: 98
    Options
    I don't really know weather they are bad or good. But I did use to drink around 8 a day. I drink tons of water now and will occasionally have a diet coke(maybe twice a week or so).
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I can tell you Mikes Hard Lemonade has like 220 calories per bottle, I drank one and logged it after the fact and thought I was gonna barf!! what a waste of calories. When I go out now I drink Malibu and Diet Dew...only 51 calories! :)
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of Diet Cokes. But, I drink a lot of Crystal Light. And I use Sweet n Low in my coffee. Not because of calories, but I just love sweet n low in my coffee...YUM!!

I do not worry about it all that much. I do not think that it causes me to crave anything sweet (my sweet n low and Crystal Light).
  • JustACaJen
    JustACaJen Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I drink diet everything because I refuse to drink my calories and I have lost almost 120lbs. I think it just depends on the person. The only calories I will drink is a low amount of creatine when I work out so I am not in pain the next day.

This is me! The only calories I "drink" come in for the form of Jack Daniels ;)
  • redpaisleyrose
    Options
    Listen to your brother, he is watching out for you...:wink:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda often. I do not buy into the claims that it is horrible for you.
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    p.s. I drink 1-2 diet dews per day and then water and I still lose weight..:)
  • rextcat
    Options
    ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING IS BAD MY DAUGHTER IS 10 AND SHE WONT USE THE PINK PACKETS F SWEET IN LOW BECAUSE SOMEONE TOLD HER IT'S RAT POISION AND CAUSES CANCER ANYTHING CAN CAUSE CANCER THESE DAYS THAT I AM CONVINCED OF....

:laugh: according to the state of california, :smokin: the state of california can cause cancer....:laugh:
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I would say avoid it but one a day is better than 5 a day. If thats your only bad habit then you should be fine.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I can tell you Mikes Hard Lemonade has like 220 calories per bottle, I drank one and logged it after the fact and thought I was gonna barf!! what a waste of calories. When I go out now I drink Malibu and Diet Dew...only 51 calories! :)

Buahahaha! Might as well drink a real dr pepper (which is my soda of choice) for an extra 30 calories.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Just a quick question for all you folks out there regarding diet sodas. I'm addicted to Diet Dew, but because of the "fake" sugar in these types of drinks, I'm guessing it's probably a no-no? My brother says diet sodas are "poison" just because of the amount of aspartame in them (he's a health nut.) Any thoughts on this? I had only 1 Diet Dew yesterday, and that's HUGE for me! HAHA

Aspartame is an amino acid chain (in other words, it's just protein.) There's more "aspartame" in a 4 ounce pice of chicken then there is in 23 cans of diet soda.* Filter out the biased fear mongering and show your brother the actual science. Aspartame is aspartic acid, combined with phenylalanine. Both are amino acids that are used by the body for various protein duties, and are both found together in every source of protein you eat during the day.

If aspartame was actually toxic, then chicken, beef, tofu, avocados, whey protein, nuts, and anything else that has protein in it would be toxic, as they all have much higher concentrations than you find in a diet soda.

*4 ounces of chicken breast contains 4476 mg of phenylalanine and aspartic acid. An average can of diet soda contains 180-200 mg of aspartame.
    where can I find the info on this to back it up? thanks!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Mailbu and Diet Mountain Dew? I am intrigued. I must try this.
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I drink diet everything because I refuse to drink my calories and I have lost almost 120lbs. I think it just depends on the person. The only calories I will drink is a low amount of creatine when I work out so I am not in pain the next day.

This is me! The only calories I "drink" come in for the form of Jack Daniels ;)
    I think I love you...
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    You will get people on both sides of the fence on this subject... I though am in the drink as much as you want camp... I drink atleast 3 bottles (24oz.) a day of either Pepsi Max or diet Pepsi and have through out my whole weightloss and from my vantage point it has had absolutely no effect on it, my diabetes, my cravings, etc, etc, whatsoever. At 560 lbs. choosing to have one vice and not giving it up, I felt this was the one thing that if it kept me content than I wouldn't feel it would hinder my progress. Check my ticker out, in my case I don't see a problem with it but to each their own....
  • dalildevil
    dalildevil Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm allergice to aspertame (it gives me hives) so I can't drink regular diet soda to beging with. So the only one I can drink is Schweppes diet Ginger ale with Splenda.

what I do miss though is Chewing gum. Anyone know of any chewing gum with no aspertame?
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

There is really not that much sodium in diet mt dew. And 8 oz serving (can) has I think 35 mg of sodium, i.e. 1% of the RDA. Not exactly what I would call 'high sodium'. There are plenty of 'healthy' foods (fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats) that have much more sodium per serving.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Just a quick question for all you folks out there regarding diet sodas. I'm addicted to Diet Dew, but because of the "fake" sugar in these types of drinks, I'm guessing it's probably a no-no? My brother says diet sodas are "poison" just because of the amount of aspartame in them (he's a health nut.) Any thoughts on this? I had only 1 Diet Dew yesterday, and that's HUGE for me! HAHA

tell your brother to ease back. you don't want to mainline the stuff, but one a day isn't going to hurt you.

and, yes, for this one I'm one of those. I haven't read through responses yet. but I know there will be someone to chime in, 'but the sodium!' I don't get where this comes from at all, since diet soda has something like 35-45 mg which is, really, pretty much nothing.
  • rextcat
    Options

There is really not that much sodium in diet mt dew. And 8 oz serving (can) has I think 35 mg of sodium, i.e. 1% of the RDA. Not exactly what I would call 'high sodium'. There are plenty of 'healthy' foods (fresh fruits and veggies, lean meats) that have much more sodium per serving.

i agree but there are other diet drinks out there with much higher sodium
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    On the topic of diet soda:
    Has anyone had bad effects quitting drinking them? migraine city, here. I've nothing against them but I was drinking maybe 3 diet pepsi's a day and haven't had any for a week.