calcium and iron

Options
I've noticed that I'm not getting enough calcium and iron. Does anybody have any suggestions? I don't eat meat and I have to watch my dairy intake because it can really upset my tummy. I realize that I can take supplements, but I'd like to get more of my nutrition from real food.

Thanks,
Holly

Replies

• livinwell
    livinwell Posts: 47
    Options
    I have the same problem - I like Blue Diamond Almond Breeze (milk) the unsweetened original has only 40 cals and 20 calcium and 0 sugar in a 1 cup serving.
  • 08sweek
    08sweek Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Try wholesome grains like barley and quinoa. Both provide a good amount of iron and protein. I don't eat much meat so I am also low on the protein. I am still looking for good ways to put calcium into my diet. :smile:
  • hollychristine
    hollychristine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem - I like Blue Diamond Almond Breeze (milk) the unsweetened original has only 40 cals and 20 calcium and 0 sugar in a 1 cup serving.

Thanks, I'm always leary of trying the different types of milk out there. Its easier when I know smeone else like it, then I don't expect the worst.:happy:
  • injuneer81
    injuneer81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Here are some healthy, whole food sources of calcium:

Whole Food Sources Serving Calcium (mg)
    Sardines 3 ounces 372
    Chinese cabbage, cooked 1/2 cup 239
    Spinach, cooked 1/2 cup 230
    Rhubarb, cooked 1/2 cup 174
    Wild salmon, canned with bones 3 ounces 167
    Kale, cooked 1 cup 122
    White beans, cooked 1/2 cup 113
    Bok choy, cooked 1/2 cup 79
    Broccoli, cooked 1 cup 70
    Pinto beans,
    cooked 1/2 cup 45
    Red beans, cooked 1/2 cup 41
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Mom was right - eat your spinach! My daughter is a vegetarian and just found out she's anemic; it's iron pills for her now until her blood levels start perking up.
  • d5d14m66
    d5d14m66 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    If you do take supplements, try to take the iron about four hours after the calcium, or the calcium might interfere with your body's absorption of the iron.