Transguy taking testosterone

Options
Hi,

I havent posted too much in here but I have been on mfp for almost a year now, pretty much the same length of time I have been taking testosterone. I take it because I am a transman so all above board :p
I dont have a huge amount to lose but I feel that I am getting nowhere. T made me gain weight mostly through muscle so the fact that in a year I have gained doesnt really mean much, but I definitely feel that I am not losing any fat. Aside from muscular areas by measurements have stayed within and inch of when I started.
I am really struggling with what calories I am meant to be eating, I started out with a female profile since I thought it would be closer to my needs but then I decided that maybe it wasnt working because I now had a more male metabolism. None of this seems to be working, I am currently on 1450 (plus exercise cal) and I am generally within 200cal of that target. Does anyone have any idea what I should be doing? Or any idea how testosterone might be affecting this balance and how to correct for it?

Replies

• returnonetime
    returnonetime Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    bump? Can anyone help??
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Have you discussed these types of questions with the doctor who prescribes your testosterone? That would probably more helpful than the opinions of a bunch of amateurs who aren't in your situation.
  • ashhills
    ashhills Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Have you discussed these types of questions with the doctor who prescribes your testosterone? That would probably more helpful than the opinions of a bunch of amateurs who aren't in your situation.

I agree. Your situation is pretty rare on these boards, at least I haven't see it before. Maybe you could call a dietician (sp?)
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I see you've posted there before, returnonetime, but maybe some of the guys on this thread could help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/489732-i-m-looking-for-some-other-trans-guys-on-this-site

If I didn't have anyone to ask in real life, I'd message some of the guys there who mention they're on testosterone.
  • justdoitjenn
    Options
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

I agree. Your situation is pretty rare on these boards, at least I haven't see it before. Maybe you could call a dietician (sp?)
    [/quote]

This ^^

Good luck with everything. Also, well done to you for keeping at it for a year. Don't give up - you'll get there.
  • njcre8ive
    Options
    I'm also an FTM and have been on T for 10+ years. It certainly does pack on muscle and unfortunately also increases appetite. The days after my injection I sometimes feel like a teenage boy wanting to eat everything in the fridge.
    I eat the calories for a male not for female. I also have no direction from a doctor but its what works for me. You may have to experiment a little to find what calorie range works best for your body.
    Eating clean has made the biggest difference for me and has the fat melting away. By clean I mean fresh fruits, veggies and meat.
    I eat very low carb and no added sugar. Also no processed foods. I hope this helps. Feel free to message me with any other questions. I don't check the forums often but saw the link on your profile and decided to check it out.
  • returnonetime
    returnonetime Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. @njcre8ive I will take your tips on board. Whilst I am usually in my cal range I probably do have too many carbs, although I try to make them good ones.

And ye I might ask my doctor for some more advice next time I am in.
  • Nirlbou
    Nirlbou Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Out of curiosity, how often and long are you doing cardio? or a structured fat bun on say an elliptical machine each week?