Bicycle computer on a jogging stroller?

Options
I just bought a jogging stroller and was thinking I'd get a bicycle computer for it so that I can know my speed and distance during the run (numbers motivate me). I don't see any reason why this won't work, the stroller has spoked wheels and there are good places for the sensor, magnet and computer. Has anyone done this and had problems?

Replies

• Hilary75
    Hilary75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I use the runkeeper app on my phone and track my mileage that way. I don't always run w my twins in the jogger so I like to be able to track my workouts when I'm not pushing them.
  • jobryan4
    jobryan4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm too cheap to pay the monthly fees for a smart phone and 'map my run' app on my ipod touch only works with wi-fi so it's pretty much useless during a run. Good idea though.
  • 5Goodyz
    5Goodyz Posts: 10
    Options
    Your speed and distances will probably be REALLY off. A bike computer is setup for a certain size wheel so unless your jogger has 700 or 26" wheels it wont be accurate.
    There are a bunch of free apps. Mapmyrun should work off of GPS/3G, as well as Strava and endomondo. All free using gps/3G system.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I honestly love the idea and I am afraid the wheel would be too small. My bike spedometer had standard bike wheel dimensions and I think the smallest they went was like 25 inches.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    the idea sounds great, but i agree with the wheel size probably being too small... however, if you'd be ok using a conversion chart, you can figure out the numbers....
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    On your ipod...get the free pedometer app that looks like a little shoe. It's the one on the bottom row on the left. Not the home row though. You don't need internet access, it tracks your steps, speed, distance, etc. I like it alot.
    iphone.png
  • reelrazor
    reelrazor Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Actually wheel size is almost ALWAYS programmable on even the cheapest bike computers. It just needs to know circumference in mm.
    100% the case if you are using a sigma or other 'brand name'
    I've used sigmas on skateboard wheels accurately.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo and used to use runkeeper. There are free versions of both that are great. I personally use the paid versions because I hate ads but the free versions are very good and easy to use. I highly recommend them over the bike computer
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    5 year old thread, so unless the OP has had another kid since then I'm sure she doesn't need to worry about that anymore