whole week of binging

Options
Has anybody else out there done this?
I was away for a week with friends and I went crazy, well we all did, but me a bit more than others. I lost 10 pounds so far this year, and was feeling pretty slim. I hate to admit it but I enjoyed the comments of people say 'omg, you eat so much and you're so skinny!' which just urged me on more... i know thats bad but i just couldnt stop.
I would eat about 2 bowls of oats for breakfast, and a bagel. had nutella with these, and by day 4 I had finished the whole pot. I would snack on choc and flapjacks throughout the day, and then would go out to a restuarant, order 3 courses, polish every single bit off my plate. Then we would go to the supermarket and buy snacks, so big bars of chocolate, and one night I ate 4 giant triple choc cookies from the bakery (350 cals each). Needless to say, that night I felt so sick and did not sleep very well with fear that with every move i made i would puke.

ANYWAYS. That was from last sunday to this sunday. I gained 4 pounds, which is not as bad as I expected but i think its 4 pounds of actual fat, as i look a lot bigger than i was before and clothes are not fitting as well. My healthy eating started again this monday, yesterday.

Back to the original question, has anyone else done this? What did you do the weeks following, did you restrict more? How long did it take you to lose weight again? What did you eat?

Thanks so much!

Replies

• hillary124
    hillary124 Posts: 112
    Options
    I just did this! I was home for my spring break, ate horribly, didnt work out once, and gained almost 8 pounds! I feel so defeated. But last night I started simply doing exactly what I'd done before spring break, cutting down on carbs (besides those in fruit, vegetables, and whole grains) and cutting out ice cream and processed sweets (my weaknesses) completely, besides some dark chocolate here and there. I already feel alot better than I felt when I was home, so I know Im moving back in the right direction!
  • jessicaaa456
    jessicaaa456 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    thats great for you, same here, i am moving in the right direction and eating better and exercising. i just hope the weight drops off as quick as it came on haha!
  • linzirussell
    linzirussell Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i did this over christmas! i gained like 10 pounds, some of it was water but some of it was fat as well! lol i just started back on the healthy eating plan and exercise and all the weight is gone again now, it came off fairly easily, my weight loss is slower now as im at a healthy bmi but its still coming off :) x
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    a lot of it is probably just bloating from a lot of food... don't sweat it! just get back on track and you'll be fine.
    and yes, i have done that before! i have had awful weeks liek that! like most of february for me was probably well above 2000 calories every day. i didn't do a good job at logging and lied to myself about what i was actually consuming.
  • josephine_x
    josephine_x Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    At least you know you're noy in starvation mode, way to rev that metabolism!!:happy:
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much you ate and how active you were it is possible that it's 4lbs of fat (you would have had to have eaten a surplus of over 14000 calories for that... which is possible given how calorie dense nutella is).

I think it's more likely that a portion of it is fat, a portion water retention and, possibly, even a portion lean mass if you were active (if you're active enough you will gain muscle on a caloric surplus - this is why bodybuilders do bulking phases)

What to do in the next few weeks? Just go back to a caloric deficit and carry on. With a little discipline you should be able to reverse the gain within a month, or quite likely less.
  • schmoozie26
    schmoozie26 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I did this when I went on vacation in Janruary. I had lost 3 lbs from Jan 1st, gained 4 lbs on vacation, but started back to working out and eating right after a bad week and was back down in about a week. I was acutally surprised how quick it came off. I ate loads on vacation and drank lots of blended drinks (I know...bad!).
  • Sarahsarahsarahk
    Sarahsarahsarahk Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have done this before! I always got the pounds off by getting back on track eating healthy, working out and drinking LOTS of water. I usually find in about a week, I am back to the weight that I was at before a week of binging! Usually, it is just water retention from the excessive amounts of sodium, and drinking water and sweating it out in the gym usually works for me. :) No worries, you can get back down to your normal weight sooner than you expect!
  • jessicaaa456
    jessicaaa456 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    thanks for the replies!
    @cgwatson yes i was eating about 4000-5000 calories per day, i mean had a starter, main, and dessert every night plus the cookies and chocolate. i definitely look bigger, so i think its fat.

hopefully will look and feel better soon!
  • Echo17121
    Echo17121 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I just did this last week as well. I don't know what my deal was but I just wanted crap food all week and tons of it. I am doing a challenge with my friend where we don't weigh in til the end of the month so I don't know what I gained. However I could feel WHERE I gained when I worked out. Luckily I am off for two weeks of spring break so I can cut my calories a bit since I sleep in longer and I can workout more! I have two weeks til weigh in so I am gunning for some serious calorie burn!!