Food and Bad mood

Options
Lately I feel like I'm always annoyed or angry with everyone. I don't know why i'm so angry all the time and in a bad mood , My Husband says I'm in bad mood because my diet and the way I'm eating . The questions is there is a specific food that can put you in bad mood ???
or is lack of something .Potassium , vitamins ... etc My daily calorie goal is 1310 and I'm always under my daily goal but still I feel like I eat a lot , I don't feel like i'm deprived of any foods. , also I exercise 3 times a week so I don't know ...Thanks

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough carbs?

Here's an article from MIT that may interest you......

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2004/carbs.html
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Glucose is preferred brain food, so lack of carbs can cause moodiness and depression. Also, fat is needed for a lot of hormone synthesizing, so not eating enough fat can cause moodiness and depression as well.
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    You may want to look into what you fill your calories with, check into the nutrition profile and make sure those calories arn't empty.
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    You may need good carbs (slow digestive carbs) in your diet so you don't feel hungry.

If it's not hunger pains then it's probably fats in your diet.

Vitamins could help but I don't really recommend it because most don't even get used by your system.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Are you cutting out refined sugars or anything? I turn into a monster if I cut out candy.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I find that I'm in a horrendously bad mood (and pretty miserable to be around, apparently) when I've had too many carbs and not enough protein. I get tired, I eat carbs for energy, I get cranky, I eat carbs to improve my mood, and when my mood gets worse, I tend to turn to carbs. See the problem?
    Figure out what's triggering it for you by logging your moods along with your foods (use that handy notes feature in your diary). You may be surprised at what you're body is telling you!

I also get cranky if I don't get enough food too. Maybe this might be a part of your issue too?
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    if you cut out refined sugars, caffeine or high carbs, you may be having withdrawls
  • atx7
    atx7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My daily calorie goal is 1310 and I'm always under my daily goal

You're doing it wrong.

• digitalsteel
    Options
    Unfortunately not all carbs are created equal, the ones we tend to eat seem to have adverse affects. I say if you want carbs, stick with veggies, and sweet potatoes, stay away from grain, corn and processed sugars.
  • helloliss
    helloliss Posts: 43
    Options
    Hi thanks guys for your replies , I'm just like a 100 50 calories under my daily goal . Sugars .. Im using stevia a lot XD sometimes I'm over my daily goal on sugar and carbs , but not in fat .

"My Daily Goal 1,310calories

180 - carbs
    44- fat
    49 protein
    2500 sodium
    26 sugars

My lows are aalways sodium , fats , highs protein , carbs sugars , but maybe I'm not getting the good ones :p
  • helloliss
    Options
    Good idea :) I will do that Thanks :)
  • digitalsteel
    Options
    I realy like stevia, good to know it is becoming more popular.
  • helloliss
    Options
    Yeah is a good option :)
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Stevia is awesome. Especially the brands that mix it with fiber! Gives you a little fiber boost to your day.

It looks like the recommended carbs is awfully high. More protein might help. I say might, as you are different from me! Do stay away from refined foods. Go for "whole" and "brown" foods for starches. Stick to mostly fruits and veggies for you carbs.
  • helloliss
    Options
    Are you getting enough carbs?

Here's an article from MIT that may interest you......

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2004/carbs.html

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Hi thanks guys for your replies , I'm just like a 100 50 calories under my daily goal . Sugars .. Im using stevia a lot XD sometimes I'm over my daily goal on sugar and carbs , but not in fat .

180 - carbs
    44- fat
    49 protein
    2500 sodium
    26 sugars

My lows are aalways sodium , fats , highs protein , carbs sugars , but maybe I'm not getting the good ones :p

You are not getting near enough protein. You also may want to consider upping your calories to 1400. I started losing weight and fat when I did, now I am up to eating around 1600 per day, I am a size 2 and very VERY happy and in a great mood, I am not hungry nor do I feel like I am going with out.

I am a crazy person when I am hungry. It took my husband exactly one year of dating me to figure out he better cut across 4 lanes of traffic to get off the exit if I say I am hungry on a road trip. :)

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon.
  • helloliss
    Options
    Stevia is awesome. Especially the brands that mix it with fiber! Gives you a little fiber boost to your day.

It looks like the recommended carbs is awfully high. More protein might help. I say might, as you are different from me! Do stay away from refined foods. Go for "whole" and "brown" foods for starches. Stick to mostly fruits and veggies for you carbs.

Thanks :) I'm vegetarian I eat a lot of vegetables and fruits but I will eat a little more :) I don't know I'm scare to eat sugar in general I have the idea that is going to gain weight , I'm going to do my best to change that .
  • mabennett
    mabennett Posts: 53
    Options
    This is how I survive not being an all out witch to the people around me: I take a valerian root pill as soon as I get home from work. Stress starts when all five people in my family arrive at home at the same time and everyone wants something from me at the same time. It works for me. Calms me down and helps me not sweat the small stuff.
  • helloliss
    Options

180 - carbs
    44- fat
    49 protein
    2500 sodium
    26 sugars

You are not getting near enough protein. You also may want to consider upping your calories to 1400. I started losing weight and fat when I did, now I am up to eating around 1600 per day, I am a size 2 and very VERY happy and in a great mood, I am not hungry nor do I feel like I am going with out.

I am a crazy person when I am hungry. It took my husband exactly one year of dating me to figure out he better cut across 4 lanes of traffic to get off the exit if I say I am hungry on a road trip. :)

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon.

hahah ! thanks : ) I just have those numbers because is the plan that MFP gave me at first I was at 1340 , then I switch to 1310 ( I want to lose 1 pound per week ) but you think I should change my daily goals myself ? what is a good amount of
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Glucose is preferred brain food, so lack of carbs can cause moodiness and depression. Also, fat is needed for a lot of hormone synthesizing, so not eating enough fat can cause moodiness and depression as well.

Yes! When I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes my doctor told me to stay away from sugars and carbs until I got my glucose monitor. It was the longest three days of my life. Not only did the lack of carbs/sugar leave me insanely lightheaded and shaky, it made me want to kill everyone. And I assure you it had nothing to do with pregnancy or hormones.