Vegetarian Meals Please!

Options
Alexstrasza
Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
I need some vegetarian recipes or websites with recipes! Not just for myself but also for my cousin. Her Mom (my aunt) passed away recently and now she's lost as to what to do about food. (She's only 16). I told her I would dig and search for recipes that are easy enough for her to do!

So any and all vegetarian recipes are welcome!!

Replies

• age136
    age136 Posts: 1
    Options
    Some easy, straightforward recipes:

I make falafel a lot. Falafel is a mix of crushed chickpeas and spices. You can buy mix in packets, add water and pan fry it. Stuff it in a pita or wrap with lettuce, tomato and hummus and you're good to go!

I also make sweet potato fries - they're filling and packed with fiber. Just toss sliced sweet potatoes in olive oil, salt and pepper. Bake at 400 F for 25 minutes or so.

Another easy favorite are lentil dishes. You just have to simmer lentils for an hour. No work, no stirring, nothing. Then, I toss it in a pan with any veggies I want - onions, spinach, tomatos, whatever. Throw it over some rice, in some pasta, or add vegetable broth for a soup!
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    chocolatecoveredkatie.com has a lot of great vegan recipes.

I made the sweet potato chili and it is REALLY good. I should mention that I am a big meat-eater, so that is saying a lot!!!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    For a 16 year old happyherbivore.com/recipes/ would be good. It has simple, and yummy, recipes. She also has two cookbooks - Happy Herbivore and Everyday Happy Herbivore. I think the site would be a good place to start.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    Tue 03/20/12 01:41 PMthis is not my own recipe just one I found just thought Id share

Portobello “Pizzas”
    The easy way to eat these would be with a knife and fork
    4 whole Portobello mushroom caps (about 5 inches in diameter) stems removed
    ½ cup low fat marinara sauce
    ½ cup lean turkey Italian sausage, cooked, drained, and crumbled.
    4 Tablespoons shredded fat free or low fat mozzarella cheese
    2 teaspoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil (you can use dry if you don’t have fresh but use less)

Preheat the oven to 350 F
    Wipe the mushrooms clean of any dirt. Place them on a baking sheet, gill side up. Spoon sauce over each cap and then sprinkle on the sausage and cheeses. Place the mushrooms in the oven and bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
    Garnish with fresh basil or parsley

Makes 4 servings

Per serving: 97 calories, 10g protein, 7 g carbohydrates, (2 g sugar) 3 g fat( 1 g unsaturated fat) 22 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber , 305 mg sodium.

Just omit the turkey or use soy turkey
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    happyherbivore.com is excellent for vegan recipes
    Eatingwell.com also has a vegetarian section
    RillsMenu.com is my site where I post my weekly menu. Many of my recipes are vegetarian. Good luck!
  • Megume
    Megume Posts: 74
    Options
    Chana Masala (chick pea curry)

Very simple, and measurements can vary to taste

1. medium red onion
    2 medium tomatos
    1-2 green chilies
    aprox 1 tbsp cumin seeds
    fresh grated ginger and minced garlic (or, ginger-garlic paste) aprox 1 tbsp
    tumeric powder
    chili powder
    corriander powder
    2 cans of chick peas
    chicken or veg broth, enough to cover mixture

first, start with alitte olive oil in the bottom of a pot and lightly toast your cumin seeds, then add the ginger-garlic paste. A minute or so after, add your onions chilies and cook until soft. Stir in chopped tomatoes and cook to begin releasing moisture from the tomatos then add the different spices.. amount vary, but i like couple teaspoons of each. Add the cans of chick peas then cover with broth and let simmer until thick. Season with salt and pepper.

Best served with some brown rice, quinoa or fresh roti and a dolup of cilantro or mint chuney
  • GeneveSparkles
    GeneveSparkles Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My super simple go to veggie recipe (i do this at least once a week) Sautee onion and garlic, throw in a can of black beans (or pinto beans or whatever you have handy) add a cup of cooked brown rice ( I usually make a large batch and just refrigerate/reheat) a can of diced tomatoes, and then I add whatever veggies I have handy or are about to go bad any color bell peppers, spinach, mushrooms, tomato, chilis etc. add some s&p, cumin, oregano or any other spices you like. Let everything cook for 10-15 min. top with some mozzarella and serve. If you want to be bad add some tortilla chips/tortilla, whole-wheat of course.