Water Water Everywhere

Options
macnotes
macnotes Posts: 210 Member
Just wondering if anyone else is having an issue keeping hydrated. I've upped my water to 2 L a day and my "hydration" on my scale is below 50% (43%). I also have to pee all the time. What gives? Will this even out? When will I be completely hydrated? I think I'm not retaining as much water because I'm watching my sodium, but how do I keep hydrated?

Replies

• harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I'd hold much stock in what the scale says. The bioelectric pads are notoriously inaccurate. They will misrepresent your bodyfat as well. A fair indication of proper hydration is thirst, But I'd bet at 2 liters a day, your probably OK. I usually get around a gallon a day but I take creatine which requires a liberal amount of water intake. I'm betting your fine.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    after a while your body does get used to drinking a lot of water, but there is a chance of having too much water. make sure your taking your vitamins and supps. I drink water and a vitamin drink and sometimes powerade.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    If your pee is light yellow/clear, you're hydrated.
  • macnotes
    Options
    ha ha. Ya, the pee is clear! Should I stop trying to drink so much? I do take my vitamins and try to replace the electrolytes after a heavy workout/sweat.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    If it's clear, and you're not thirsty, don't drink. That's the best advice I've ever read.
  • bugbeenz
    bugbeenz Posts: 31
    Options
    I drink between 2-3litres a day and have been for roughly 3 weeks. The first 2 weeks were horrid in regards to needing to use the toilet, I was seriously in there every half hour! The last week I have noticed that I'm pretty much back to normal, going every 2-3 hours generally, so I'd say just be patient and it will even out :)
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I drink between 2-3litres a day and have been for roughly 3 weeks. The first 2 weeks were horrid in regards to needing to use the toilet, I was seriously in there every half hour! The last week I have noticed that I'm pretty much back to normal, going every 2-3 hours generally, so I'd say just be patient and it will even out :)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Just what I needed to hear :drinker:
  • macnotes
    Options
    I am looking forward to things evening out! I do feel thristy when I drink, just hate that I seem to just pee it all out. It's only been a week so I've got a few more weeks to go to even it all out.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'm honestly curious, those of you who say you start peeing less often, where does the water go if you're not peeing it out?
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    That one made me chuckle:)
    I'm honestly curious, those of you who say you start peeing less often, where does the water go if you're not peeing it out?
  • agentscully514
    Options
    That one made me chuckle:)

I'm totally serious! if it's not coming out, then it's staying in your body. Water can't disappear.
  • macnotes
    Options
    Maybe it's re-hydrating all your vital organs or something. Making your body work more efficiently?
  • agentscully514
    Options
    so theoretically if you're retaining more water, you'll slowly swell up?
  • macnotes
    Options
    I swell up all the time from retaining water because of the amount of salt I would eat. I think once I start watching the sodium and the water intake, it balances out.
  • agentscully514
    Options
    but then you'd still be peeing it out, see what I mean? When it's balanced out, you should be peeing close to the same amount you drank (minus a small amount of sweat).
  • bugbeenz
    bugbeenz Posts: 31
    Options

hahaha, that made me laugh too! This is perhaps a little too much info, but I've noticed that each time I visit the bathroom, well I pee more in one go, rather than having to go mulitple times throughout the day and night. the first couple of weeks, I would be busting to go and felt quite disappointed in how little it would actually be!

Edited: I guess my bladder has learnt to deal with more water without having to expel it so frequently - thank god!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I drink upwards of a gallon of water a day. Some days even more than that. I don't find I'm going to the bathroom all that often at all, now that I'm used to it. Just like they say your stomach "stretches" when you continually over eat, well your bladder kind of does the same thing! I can just hold more longer! Never need to pee in the middle of a movie anymore, which is awesome!

As for where the rest of it goes, your body uses it for repairs, for keeping your digestive track running smoothly, for keeping your mucous membranes wet and properly cleansing.

If you're peeing totally clear, back off a little on the water. I rarely pee clear. LOL!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Just wondering if anyone else is having an issue keeping hydrated. I've upped my water to 2 L a day and my "hydration" on my scale is below 50% (43%). I also have to pee all the time. What gives? Will this even out? When will I be completely hydrated? I think I'm not retaining as much water because I'm watching my sodium, but how do I keep hydrated?

If your urine is very light coloured / almost clear you're adequately hydrated.
  • cydonian
    cydonian Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You do need some sodium in your body to help absorb the water so if you're really cutting back on sodium, you may just be peeing all of the water right back out again. Your pee should not be totally clear, it should have a slight yellow tint and very slight smell, so if you're getting absolutely no smell and it's completely clear, the water isn't absorbing at all.
  • agentscully514
    Options

hahaha, that made me laugh too! This is perhaps a little too much info, but I've noticed that each time I visit the bathroom, well I pee more in one go, rather than having to go mulitple times throughout the day and night. the first couple of weeks, I would be busting to go and felt quite disappointed in how little it would actually be!

Edited: I guess my bladder has learnt to deal with more water without having to expel it so frequently - thank god!

ah, that makes sense! thanks for your serious answer. It was niggling at me.