Hair Loss

Options
I started dieting November 1st. I have lost 54 pounds to date. I have been eating around 1200-1400 caleries per day. This past month I only lost 4 pounds. The last 6 weeks, I have been losing my hair like CRAZY!!! I have had my thyroid tested, it's fine. I take skin/hair/nail vitamins, b-6 vitamins, Fish oil, Primrose oil, but my hair wont' stop falling out. I have increased my protein intake to about 60-80gm per day (exercise 5xper week for about an hour). My nails are getting bad too. Splitting way down in the nail bed and have ridges on them.I am at my wits end. Trying to get healthy and now all my hair is falling out. I literally have lost about half my hair. Any ideas, suggestions??

Thanks.

Replies

• Lainn
    Lainn Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Have you had a major illness within the last 6 months? A baby? Or even a traumatic event? All of those can cause hair to start falling out 3-6 months after the event.

It is called Telogen Effluvium this article may help: http://www.follicle.com/section2/5.html
  • BeadDog22
    BeadDog22 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    No, no traumatic event. I really thought it was my thyroid, but they doctors say my levels are fine. In the meantime, my hair is all falling out. :'(
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Is it falling out to the point where you see bald spots? If so, go see a doc and demand more tests.

If not, I will tell you that when I last lost a lot of weight (60+ pounds) my hair thinned out quite a bit. No bald spots, but it felt like every time I brushed a ton of strands came out. I went to see my doctor, and she said sometimes it's just the body's way of re-balancing. I don't know if that's crap or not, but it eventually stopped.

If you think the hair and nails are related though - see a doc.