Should I Eat My Exercise Calories if I'm Not Hungry?

Options
I know the issue of eating back the "exercise calories" is debated on here a lot, and I understand why we are supposed to do it, so I apologize if this thread is redundant. But I'll be honest: a lot of the time, I truly am not hungry to eat back my exercise calories. When I exercise, I'll usually earn an extra 400-600 calories, putting my daily caloric allowance at 1600-1800. On days that I make healthy choices, I eat good things that fill me up and by the time I get to 1400-1500 calories I feel full and satisfied. I know it's not TOO difficult to put away another 200-400 calories, but is it NECESSARY if I simply don't feel hungry?

Replies

• SquashedBanana
    SquashedBanana Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    If you don't feel hungry, don't eat :D
    If you feel a bit hungry, eat back, but don't pig out if you don't want to ruin your work.

Technically ? Yes - a friend here lost a ****load of leanmass (meaning, months and months of hard work), just by not eating back.
    What does that mean in fact, make sure the deficit you maintain is not too big in order to avoid leanmess cell destruction (eg -catabolism)
    After 5 mn of cardio, a small bite
    After 2 hours of running, big plate of pastas :D mmmmm
  • Paolinat
    Paolinat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    lifestyle change.

Learn to listen to your body.

Only eat when you are hungry.

If you are not trying to lose weight and end up losing weight, then eat exercise calories back.
  • SquashedBanana
    SquashedBanana Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I have always been the kind to eat when I'm not even hungry, out of boredom, so it is a habit I want to break and if i am consuming calories just to consume, i feel like i am not really breaking the habit. However, I don't want to sabotage my weight gain by NOT eating.
  • floweringcurrant
    floweringcurrant Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I experience this too sometimes, along with days where I am way hungrier than my intake allows.
    On days where I am way under (400-600) I just eat a couple TB of almond butter because I know it will balance my body out the best and keep me from feeling very hungry in the future. Try eating something calorically dense if you're up for it. Frequently you can eat a very small amount and get a lot of calories in. Nuts, avocados... all great.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    If it's a normal workout and I'm not hungry, I don't eat.

But if it was a tough workout, or a particularly long one, I try to eat back at least some of them.

If I don't, I am famished the next day and eat too much then.

Example: Sunday I did a 37 mile bike ride. Not a terribly long ride at 2.5 hours but the first one of the season. I burned a boatload of calories (Garmin HRM showed nearly 2500. Lots of hills on the course). Before, I would NOT eat them back and I'd be hungry on Monday, make poor choices, etc.... This time I decided to eat back some of them. Less than half (I was still in the negative for net calories for the day, which was NOT my goal but I couldn't eat any more if I tried). I felt great Sunday. And Monday. Not hungry at all. Yay!
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I think that as long as you are eating enough (I think 1400-1500 calories is enough), and you are full, satisfied and have been eating good foods, then don't eat any more just for the sake of it :-)

I found that I was eating too many bad foods at night just because I had the calories left. So I upped my daily allowance from 1350 to 1500-1600. Regardless of exercise. And I try to stick to that range no matter what. And really try stay within the macros. I usually burn between 300-700 cals 6 days a week.

Food wise its been working well for me so far. I think I have been choosing better foods and never feel unsatisfied. Haven't been doing it long enough to know if its working better on the scales, but I am feeling great and noticing changes with clothes etc
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Most days I don't eat all my calories back.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    If you already know you are going to work out one day and approx how many calories you will burn, I would start out the day with a larger breakfast, maybe an extra snack or larger dinner, use full calorie sauces or dressings, maybe a handful of nuts or dried fruit instead of say a light yogurt......and those will use up all you calories without making you fuller or feel like you pigged out and its still all very healthy. I am all for eating exercize cal. And I have been successful doing so.
  • humbino
    humbino Posts: 5
    Options
    Interesting question... I burn 1000 kcal in 60 minutes on the cross-trainer, and honestly, I do not feel like eating anything after a good-workout. When I start to be hungry, I eat a protein bar, or some meat, salads afterwards. And - the horror! - even some chocolate. Listen to your body. I know it is a cliché, but we are obese, overweight and unhealthy because we DO NOT LISTEN TO OUR BODY. It is hard to resist, I know. And also, pay attention to your social circle, your friends, etc. Have you ever been nudged into eating? One more spoon, come on, eat it, the sun won't shine if you don't, come on, let's buy popcorn, would you like bigger fries with that? Sounds familiar. Just say NO THANKS. And vica versa. If you feel like eating, eat. I hope this helps.
  • almaster666
    almaster666 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You don't have to worry about the catabolic effect of exercise unless you're already at a low body fat percentage. Unless you're already at a low body fat percentage, you will be putting on muscle and burning fat at the same time.

MFP tells me to eat 1850 calories a day. I do anywhere between 1500 and 1950 and work out as much as possible.
    1lb of fat roughly equates to 3500 calories for me. So, if I have a 500 calorie deficit every day, I lose about 1 lb in the week and I have not lost any muscle or strength, as a matter of fact, I have made considerable gains in strength and endurance and my upper body is shaping up.
  • Vsander48
    Options
    i feel the same way!!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Once in a while, it's fine to leave a big deficit. If it happens more often than not, plan your food or exercise ahead of time.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I usually do because I am hungry, however, the last 4 days I haven't. I posted on my profile page to my MFP friends, "Please don't judge me!' I didn't not eat them intentionally, I just really wasnt hungry.

Just listen to your body. If your not hungry, don't eat them.

exercise.png
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    Sorry, can't help with that one. My calorie goal is set at 1510 per day and I have to eat back all my calories or I'm absolutely starving. Sounds like maybe your calorie goal is set too high(?)
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I implore you to read the numerous postings on this topic. Use the search function and you will pull up a wealth of information. That said, do what your body tells you. If you are not hungry then don't eat. Trust me naturally over time as you continue to workout and burn and burn your body will desire more food and you may gradually eat back some or all those calories. Until or if that point is reached just do you.
  • mexy04
    mexy04 Posts: 96
    Options
    bump
  • helloliss
    helloliss Posts: 43
    Options
    Hi usually I add my exercise at the end of the day when I ready to go to bed , do that way I don't see those extra calories and I don't feel tempted to overeat :)