Eating Disorder Support

Options
I would like to make more friends with other people who have negative thoughts / feelings about food who is also in recovery.

Add me if you like.

On a foot note: I've read a lot of people being negative towards people on here with ED's. To those people: it's in no way as black or white as that! Keeping a food diary with my particular disorder is part of recovery. Not everyone on here with an ED is anorexic. Just saying.

Replies

• AlynnP1005
    AlynnP1005 Posts: 195
    Options
    I have BED, you can add me if you would like!
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Im trying to fight my ED, feel free to add me :)
  • taryn_09
    taryn_09 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    im getting over mine as well add if you'd like ive found great support on here :]
  • IWillWinSkinny
    IWillWinSkinny Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thank you :) It's a lot harder when there's almost no one in your friend list - at least who's online regularly anyway.
  • winonajosephine
    winonajosephine Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've had problems with Bulimia but I think Im all better now besides the occasional purging but it always helps to know there are others out there :) I'll accept adds...
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    im trying to fight mine too (: feel free to add me. i'll try and be supportive and give advice where i can. x
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I don't have anorexia or bulimia but I feel I do have an eating disorder. I don't know what its called but I am always thinking about food, I over eat even as I am thinking I should stop and I am fat. Is there a name for that?
    Be well everyone. Blessings to all.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Don't have an ED but thought I might mention a book. It's called "Loud In The House Of Myself" by Stacy Pershall. It's her autobiography of having an ED and going through other issues such as Borderline Personality Disorder and how she's learned to keep herself from relapsing. She's also very active on FB through her book's account and posts lots of inspirational and motivational links and articles.

It's hard to accept there's a problem and even harder to try and change it, so kudos to everyone who wants to get better and stay that way.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I'm recovery from anorexia, but I purge too, feel free to add me:)

Tasha
    xxx
  • need2bethinner1
    Options
    Hey sending you an add now.

I'm obsessed with food. Try to stay between 200-500 a day. binge 1000s every now and then, then purge with laxatives for a few days until I feel its gone....then start again.

Slowly been eating more 500-800 and dont feel bad about that. Its the binging that stresses me out...but I can't stop. Aiming for 700-1000 by summer.

Im glad you started this thread. I want friends who understand that some people just cant eat the recommended 1200 min cals as suggested on here.

I have another profile which I dont really log anymore for that reason. Will start logging properly tomorrow though.

:happy:
  • IWillWinSkinny
    Options
    Yeah I know what you mean. Restricting gives me a feeling of high, then when I binge & purge I feel like absolute c**p! Nothing makes me feel lower, but stopping seems to be just about impossible. I've cut down on laxatives lately and even that is causing panic with the rest of my eating. Every single thing seems to be connected somehow. I cut down on laxatives which causes anxiety, which leads to another binge, which then makes me up my dosage again to compensate.
  • antoniosmooth
    antoniosmooth Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    My wife has an eating disorder, the OP (original poster) brought me here seeking help and support. I'm pray often for her to see she needs help because she's very opposed to seeking professional help. I convinced her to install myFitnessPal on her smartphone a month ago, unfortunately she very rarely uses it (I read within this thread a food log is an important part of recovery).

I tell her all the time how absolutely gorgeous she is and how I love her curves yet her body image doesn't match what my eyes see. I desperately want her to workout with me, not because I think she needs it, because I want her to feel good about herself.

She doesn't purge everyday, it occurs only when she eats something she knows is bad for her. 2 weeks ago she admitted something to me, in her mind she LOVES the taste of certain foods (greasy cheeseburgers, pizza, fries, and etc.) and believes purging afterwards is as if, she didn't eat them/it. I've explained to her if she exercises and eats right most of the time she can have the foods she loves.

I very much at a loss for what to do and what to do for her. Any advice would be helpful.
  • melr789
    melr789 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    used to have ED when younger, just take it one step at a time
  • raindropwishes
    Options
    I'm currently recovering from an ED. Feel free to join our group :)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1550-e-d-recovery-weight-loss
  • HollywoodDJ
    HollywoodDJ Posts: 296
    Options
    I am grateful for this topic. I have been a member of a 12 step program now for nine years. Now with my quest to lose weight again I am getting very serious about changing my life for the better. I am realizing and have come to accept that I am a food addict. I use food to comfort myself, numb myself and not to FUEL myself. The last three weeks doing MFP has been challenging and eye opening. I have had good days and bad. I have had nights where I feel I am "White-Knuckling" it and trying so hard not to eat at night. Our society may not consider my eating habits a disorder but I do. It has affected every aspect of my life.

On my profile I have titled my page "It's a Journey, Not a Destination" and for me that is true. I can never stop watching what I eat or stop being accountable or stop moving....For me my weight loss is not just about the physical but I am trying to encompass all aspects of my life...from PHYSICAL to EMOTIONAL, MENTAL and SPIRITUAL! So, One Day At A Time I will try Just For Today to be a little kinder and gentler to myself. I will love myself right where I am at.

My hope is to learn not just how to keep the weight off, stay healthy and inspire people but also to figure out what my triggers are. I also want to not just heal my body but heal my mind, heart and spirit of this cage I built for myself.

18447478.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • RCadence
    RCadence Posts: 79
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you want. Im a fully qualified medical Psychologist so if anyone has any questions or concerns with their ED or fitness plans then ask away :-)

Plus it always helps to vent lol
  • IWillWinSkinny
    Options
    I think an ED is one of those things where people often suffer in silence. Particularly with bulimia because the practical is so secretive. Most people with bulimia often have a near normal weight making it incredibly hard to detect by their loved ones. There's also a sense of huge embarrassment and shame attached, making it so difficult to speak out. I know that's why I can't tell anyone about it in my life, but being behind a computer I feel safe talking about it.

I know when people tell me i'm beautiful etc in goes in one ear and out the other. I just don't believe it. I know how frustrated they must be, and that just makes me feel worse. It emphasises that there must be something wrong with me. There is not a minute in the day where i'm not planning my next meal, researching calories and nutrition, pre-logging a food diary or exercising. I cannot even identifiy my favourite activity outside of an ED. I have no interests, no hobbies. My life has just been totally consumed by this disease and i'm only 24 years old! I don't want to be like this when i'm 30.
  • jbenton091011
    Options
    I do not have an ED like the majority of people in on this thread. So I'm probably over stepping the mark by commenting. But I had to say that more than anything I admire your courage to admit to your problem and most importantly to find friends who you can support and fall back onto for support. I wish you all the best and that you recover with full health in mind, body and spirit.
  • IWillWinSkinny
    Options
    Thank you that means a lot, especially as I have had a few people accuse me of just "attention seeking" with this topic. I got so low about it last night that I even tried deleting this post, but couldn't figure it out.

I've had some hurtful comments sent to me by people saying "How can I say I want to change when my food diary and comments on my personal profile show that i'm still engaging in ED tendancies. To those people: I cannot change over night!! no one can! This is only the starting line for me. I have made some many improvements that those judgemental people would never know about. One thing at a time....