Irrational Fears

Options
JGT2004
JGT2004 Posts: 231 Member
Does any one have any ridiculous irrational fears? I thought of this on my way to work this morning... I tend to take a deep breath and brace myself when I drive under an over pass because I am afraid an 18-wheeler or large truck will drive off the side of the road and land on top of my vehicle. This fear only started a few years ago when a girl from my school was killed when a dump truck ran off the road and landed on top of her car. Anyways I know its irrational and highly unlikely to happen but driving through the thunderstorm this morning just made me think of it even more.

Does any one else have irrational fears? Other than snakes or spiders... they bite! And I personally think the only good snake is a dead snake....

Replies

• LisamarieBond14
    LisamarieBond14 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I have a phobia and it really irks me when people use it as an excuse, "Oh I have a phobia of snakes, I can't be in the same room as one, if I see one on TV, I have to turn the TV over" etc etc... If they actually had a phobia, they wouldn't even be able to say the word! Even the thought of the object of their phobia would be enough to send them into a panic or anxiety attack! (I know you're talking about irrational fears, so not just phobias, as such, but hey!) I've had mine as long as I can remember and it takes a lot of courage to even bring myself to talk about it (my partner usually has to tell people for me before I go into the room, just to make sure they know not to mention it or whatever!)

Mine is veins. I am absolutely fine with blood and needles and I can watch medical documentaries all day long but I have a major phobia of veins. I tried hypnotherapy but it didn't work. I had to have a lot of blood tests over the last few years (for my nursing degree, to test for allergies, etc) and each time the nurse thought it was a phobia of needles or blood! No one really understands my phobia and as far as I'm aware, there's no actual name for it (I think people unofficially call it venophobia).
    I have bad days and better days, I have a really supportive partner who understands as well as he can and he helps me to breathe through it. My symptoms vary but generally I get really hot and sweaty, my skin turns red and I feel sick, dizzy and like I'm going to pass out. I struggle to breathe properly and although I know it's not physically possible, my own veins hurt (and I mean real pain, all over my body, as if they're solidifying!)

A phobia like mine is really difficult to overcome because on a bad day, I notice my own veins a lot and it's as though I can feel them inside me. My skin is really transparent too (overuse of steroid creams as a child for eczema - before the doctors knew better!) which makes is ten times worse. But what can anyone do for me? If you have a phobia of frogs, they'll slowly expose you to them! They can't really do that with me! It's an awful phobia to have and I don't understand why people seem to *want* to have a phobia - I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy!

I'll leave it there now 'cos my arms are starting to hurt - haha, at least I can try to make light of it!
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I don't think my fears are irrational.. I have a very logical basis for them.. but mine is the dentist. When they call my name and I have to walk down that hall to the room they have prepared for me, I feel like I'm on death row walking to the guillotine. It's a death march. I was traumatized by an in-law baby sitter when I was five years old. I had two front teeth that were barely loose and she tied them both to a door knob.. and SLAM!! Only one came out, the pain was blinding and I bled everywhere. No one goes near my mouth now except the dentist, and that's only because I have to WILL myself to go through with it every six months, because I'm afraid if I don't I'll end up with a root canal or something just as terrible. I swear, if they ever try something like that on me, I'll lose my mind. I passed out once during a cleaning and beat the hygienist to a pulp. It's not pretty.
  • jcriscuolo
    jcriscuolo Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have no idea where this came from but I think a falling limb from a tree will bring my demise. When there are strong winds and I am driving or walking, I fear that a limb will break off and kill me. I don't obsess about it but I think about it in storms when I am around trees. It's irrational and highly unlikely but maybe that's how I was killed in a previous life??? ;-)
  • rsummers2008
    rsummers2008 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I live in Fort Collins, CO and that actually happened here at the Colorado State University campus last year, I believe. One person died and I think a couple others were injured.
  • catfish9
    catfish9 Posts: 138
    Options
    I have no idea where this came from but I think a falling limb from a tree will bring my demise. When there are strong winds and I am driving or walking, I fear that a limb will break off and kill me. I don't obsess about it but I think about it in storms when I am around trees. It's irrational and highly unlikely but maybe that's how I was killed in a previous life??? ;-)

Same here, although I don't know if it's technically quite irrational for me, since I was almost hit by falling branches TWICE. Once was during an ice storm when I was a kid, when I was playing under the tree and ran out as it started falling, and once on a really windy day. I was about to go out and play with the dog and just as I opened the door, a huge branch fell right about where I was going to be standing. D:
  • rsummers2008
    rsummers2008 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Eating in public (like most of the other 7 billion inhabitants don't eat!). I just feel like people are judging me.

People throwing cigarette buds out their windows while driving. I always think that when I drive over it, somehow a drop of gasoline or some other flammable substance is going to catch it on fire and it's going to blow my car up.

Filling my tires up with air. I'm always scared that they're going to pop in my face.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Those movies 'Final Destination' do not help me with my irrational fears...I get new ones.

Driving in the mountains and the road suddenly giving way, power lines falling on my car and I'm stuck inside, crazy gunman shooting random people and I'm one of those shot...

I don't think about them, until I'm in the situation, then my mind races, "what if..."
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    that I will go to prison. FOR NO REASON and get beat up and shanked.

also I am PETRIFIED of snakes, therefore I try to learn as much as possible so that if I am ever around one I will know what to do. I will NOT die from a snake!!!!

I also have a fear of being trampled on in a crowd. I hate crowds and try to avoid them as much as possible.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I saw something really funny the other day (I guess it wasn't nice to LOL, but she couldn't see me)

I live in So FL and was crossing our largest bridge. It is 17th Street Causway, and was recently completed. They built it high, and long, so they would have to use the small draw bridge at the top seldom, for very large mastes on sailboats.

The entire bridge it made of poured concrete. Only a 20 ft span that is moveable, and this is quite obvious.

Now traffic was back up (spring break, 5 pm and the friday before St Patricks Day) I watched this middle aged couple walking hand and hand all the way up to the top. I could tell the mister had to convince the Mrs to do it, as she was holding his hand tightly. He even held her purse for her.

She had a strained smile on her face as she looked down into the water *WAY down!)

Well they had just passed the drawbridge, and were on solid concrete when the damn bells went off! Ding DIng Ding......the arms didnt come down because all us cars were still on the bridge. For me it meant nothing, as I knew he was setting up for the huge sailboat coming down the intracoastal.

Well to that poor lady, the bridge was coming down. She ran full throtttle down that bridge with her arms flailing at her sides (I am lmao as I write this) Screaming for him to RUN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>RUNNNNNNNN.

He continue to mosey on down the CONCRETE bridge!! She ran back and grabbed him, pulled, then flailed her arms running again.

In between fits of laughter I prayed God would calm that poor woman's soul and make her realize NOTHING would take down that poured concrete bridge!!!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I have the same fear when semi's pass me...especially on bridges. No clue where to came from.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    My biggest fears are always car related. Having my car roll back if I'm on a hill and not be able to maintain control, having a bridge collapse while I drive over it, or having a 18 wheeler smoosh me. I have seen two of these scenarios play out...the car rolling backwards and crashing into other cars and a semi running over a car. As for the bridge...it's because I can't swim (due to having being drowned when I was a kid...luckily my brother thumped the water out of me and checked my pulse). I like being in control of my life and trusting it to a car or another driver in a car kind of freaks me out. Yeah....I'm weird.
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have an anxiety disorder, so I have tons of irrational fears. For example, I'm 21 and don't have my license because I'm 100% sure I will die if I drive. I practice sometimes, but I go 10 under the speed limit and feel sick the whole time; it just scares me so much.

Also, cockroaches and junebugs send me SCREAMING into hysterics. Dead flies and bees make me leave the room.

Every car that drives by is going to be a shooting, every person with their hands in their pockets has a gun.

I guess this doesn't really apply to me since I'm paranoid about everything :( Ha.
  • lovinbeinold
    Options
    I think I have only one fear that is irrational. This is embarrassing to admit somehow, maybe because it is so irrational. I have a fear about driving into Florida. I have been to so many states on road trips, but refuse to drive into Florida. I dropped the idea of an art show I was going to go to years ago because it was in Florida. I won't visit friends there. Florida I could cut off the map and pretend it doesn't even exist.

I cannot think of one thing that would explain that, but I am unwilling to go into Florida. I have never been there, and don't intend to ever cross that state line.

Otherwise, I carry fewer fears than most anyone I know. But that one ridiculous thing. I don't sweat over it or get upset. I just know that I'll never drive or fly into Florida.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I am terrified of driving in the mountains.........when someone else is driving!! I break out in a sweat, nearly pull off the door handle, my legs physically hurt when we get to our destination because they are so stiff during the drive.

The entire time I can SEE us flying off the side. SEE IT!

My ex husband was a good driver when we were younger. He was the only person I didn't fear driving with. Then a few years back he started to not concentrate as much, and then I couldn't even enjoy the mountains with him!:cry:

I still go, because it is better when I drive and I LOVE the mountains!!!:love:
  • megmo_7
    megmo_7 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

My doctors wife was letting her dog out and a limb fell on her and killed her. She left behind 3 kids. It was quite sad but it makes you cherish every moment you do have.
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Being next to, or behind, any 18 wheeler that is carrying pipes, logs etc. Even once a truck of tomatoes freaked me out.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I was overwhelmingly afraid of the dark as a child, but worked diligently to overcome it. Once I had kids of my own, I made sure to keep any sign of fear or nervousness carefully hidden.

But...even now, if I'm outdoors and have to turn my back to the dark, I have to use all my willpower to keep from breaking out into a run. As long as I'm headed into the dark, with the light at my back, no problem. As soon as I turn around, when the light in my eyes makes the dark impenetrable by contrast, I think that something/someone will pounce.

My rational mind knows this is false, and that there is nothing whatever to fear. But tell that to the rest of me, when my stomach clenches, my skin breaks out in gooseflesh, and the hair on the back of my neck stands up!
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

People throwing cigarette buds out their windows while driving. I always think that when I drive over it, somehow a drop of gasoline or some other flammable substance is going to catch it on fire and it's going to blow my car up.
    OMG!! This is mine too, unbelievebable!!! I change lanes as fast as i can and brace myself waiting for the giant explosion to occur from the spark igniting the gas! i have never told anyone about this!!
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Another weird one I have is that I'm going to be standing next to closed containers or cans of things and they're going to explode. Spontaneous combustion or something. I get especially scared of this with shaving cream cans in the shower.
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Hydroplaning. I had it before I actually did it, and after I hydroplaned off the highway at 65 mph, it's worse than ever, lol.