Still confused about BMR

Options
Okay I've read all the previous threads.. and the one that has "the answers to the questions"

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/6556-the-answers-to-the-questions
Question #2:
I'm eating 1200 calories, I feel like crap and I'm not losing weight. What gives?

Answer:
Run, don't walk, to "tools" and use the BMR calculator. Please, please, please, eat at least your BMR calories every day. You might lose weight more slowly, but you will still lose, and you will not longer feel a sudden urge to fall over every time you do, well, anything.

Okay, MFP has me at 1200 calories. I don't usually feel like crap eating that amount, but I do go over it just from lack of control. However, MFP also has my BMR as 1,302. So my question is, should I be eating the minimum 1,302 calories? Or is it at the 1000 calorie deficit that I read about? My BMI is at 22.6 which is in the healthy zone, but I am trying to lose at least 20lbs and it's been a very slow crawl losing any weight. I'm wondering if I'm not eating enough and that may be why it's been so difficult to even lose a pound.

Replies

• drmryder
    drmryder Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Are you working out? If so you need to add those calories onto your BMR. Try and eat all those calories, you are not going to want to, but your body needs those and that is why you are not feeling good. You may want to start eating 5 small meals to kick your metabolism into gear.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    It is recommended that you not eat less than your BMR because that is the amount of calories you need to just lay in bed all day. Clearly you got out of bed :wink: You shower, get dressed, walk to the car, walk into work, do stuff at work, walk from the car, do stuff at home.... and somedays you exercise.

So you are at a deficit just by eating your BMR everyday because you do more than just lay in bed. When you see the 1302 as you BMR that is not with a deficit, but again just by getting out of bed each day you have that deficit. I recommend that you eat the 1300 to lose weight :bigsmile:
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    What is your height, current weight, age and activity level?
  • SERinDC
    SERinDC Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Mine was initially set to 1200, but yes as a minimum you should eat at least your BMR of 1302. Since I am very active I have custom set mine to 1700 (often go over that) and am still losing weight. My BMI is 23.4, so I'm also at a "healthy weight."

If you use the link below after filling out the info it will give you guidelines of how many calories are ideal given your exercise level. If you choose to use a calculation such as the one below you should pay no attention to exercise calories because the estimate already would include your activity level:

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Yes you should be eating no less than you BMR. BMR is what your body needs to function if you were in a coma. You will need to eat your exercise calories on top of that to make sure you don't burn out.
  • wdruker
    wdruker Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Okay this makes more sense now. THANK YOU everyone for responding.

drmryder - Yes, I am working out. It varies but usually jogging, pilates and Shred DVD. I work out at least 5 days a week, at least that's my goal.

carriebear - I'm moving the calories up. Thank you! No longer the 1200 that MFP has recommended.

dixiedavidson - 5' 6", 140lbs, 44 yrs old, activity... I'm not a slug, but not super active either. I make sure I exercise at least 5 days a week. I work as a elementary substitute teacher so I never sit down at work.

SERinDC - Thank you for the info. I think I will play with the new number starting at 1300 and move it up if it's not working. I'll check out the website to see what they suggest too.

Nixirain - Thanks for the info. I already eat my exercise calories, but I'm starting with the wrong amount of calories. I'll be bumping it up now. Thanks!

Thank you again!! I love this site where everyone is so helpful!!!