Split Routines

Options
I have been doing split routines for years now (throwing in full body some weeks) and one of my biggest questions is which body parts should REALLY be worked together? For example: Should shoulders be worked on chest and tricep day? I have seen many examples of routines that show only chest and triceps on the same day. I also need new workouts! I do mix up workouts here and there along with sets and reps but love split the most. If I do split, I usually do the following: 1. chest-shoulders-triceps 2. legs 3. back biceps (HIIT after some workouts and def on Thurs-HIIT with other plyo). When I first had a trainer, he had me do shoulders and legs on the same day and then switched to legs alone and shoulders alone. I need some oter opinions on this topic!

Replies

• Scott
    Scott Posts: 204 MFP Staff
    Options
    Moved to Fitness and Exercise
  • LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    Options
    ?
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    all of those options are viable.. there is no BEST method ... personally my favorite is a upper lower or push pull split. you kinda of just have to learn what works best for you..
  • LJC44
    Options
    Well that is good because I try them all!
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I still do all over workouts... Lost of guys talk about their chest and arms day. Legs and back... blah blah blah... I like to get it all! Especially with the classes i take. They normally cover them all. Once i finish - i may go over and spend a little more time working on biceps and triceps.

I hate squats and lunges... so glad they do those in classes or i'd never do them! lol.
  • LJC44
    Options
    I still do all over workouts... Lost of guys talk about their chest and arms day. Legs and back... blah blah blah... I like to get it all! Especially with the classes i take. They normally cover them all. Once i finish - i may go over and spend a little more time working on biceps and triceps.

I hate squats and lunges... so glad they do those in classes or i'd never do them! lol.

So you kind of do the Full Body. I switch but mainly love split workouts! Legs are tough but it is the best body part I have so I HAVE to be tough with leg day haha.
  • fatshady360
    Options
    i normally do a 4 day split...chest and tri's day1........legs day2........back and bi's day3.......shoulders day4......reason i do shoulders on their own day is mine are lagging abit.....also with a split like this i find it gives my muscles chance to recover before i hit them again.....the max i will hit the same muscle is 2 times a week...but normally its only once unless it abs.
  • LJC44
    Options
    i normally do a 4 day split...chest and tri's day1........legs day2........back and bi's day3.......shoulders day4......reason i do shoulders on their own day is mine are lagging abit.....also with a split like this i find it gives my muscles chance to recover before i hit them again.....the max i will hit the same muscle is 2 times a week...but normally its only once unless it abs.

I would like to start trying your split. I have always done shoulders with chest and triceps but it's a *****!! I could probably get more out of my workouts by making shoulders their own day. Right now my chest and shoulders ache!
  • fatshady360
    Options
    i think trying to do chest,shoulders and tri's in the same workout is to much,but thats just my opinion.......i know by the time ive finished my chest...if i tried to do shoulders aswell there's no way i could lift the same weight as i can when my shoulders are fully fresh......they'd be exhausted from my chest workout.