Foot Pain- METATARSALGIA

Options
So I have been on MFP since January 1st and have lost nearly 40 lbs. My goal is well over 100lbs to lose. I have definitely been moving a lot more than I ever have to burn calories. and have been pretty proud of myself so far. Yesterday I went for a 20 minute walk, which is a few minutes more than I usually have been doing. Near the end of the walk my feet were literally ON FIRE! The balls of both of my feet were hurting me so bad when I got home that I couldn't hardly walk at all! I am aware that my shoes need replaced and got them today. I also visited my podiatrist today regarding the pain. He diagnosed me with METATARSALGIA. I have been a nurse for many years and have never heard of such a thing. Apparently it is basically an overuse and inflammation of the metatarsal head area (ball of foot and base of toes). The pain is aggravated because this is the direct area that we use to propel ourselves forward when walking or running. So basically, he wants me to stay off my feet and take Motrin for the inflammation. Arghh!! I feel kind of defeated because of this. I have a treadmill about to be delivered tomorrow and I can't even use it! Anyone else dealing with this problem? What has helped? What hasn't? ETC ETC!

Replies

• tgzerozone
    tgzerozone Posts: 160
    Options
    Why not try swimming while resting it?
  • charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I've been in podiatry for 4 years.

Oh my... HELP!!!

I'm jogging almost 6 months. I began increasing the distances slowly and now I'm at 10k. I do about 15-20 km per week splitted in 3-4 workouts.
    I have really good shoes for running. When I started I had some pains on my ankles but the trainer said it was because I haven't be used to such big distances. He came up truth.
    Lately my left foot hurts really bad even when I don't run at the Instep (I think that is the word in English). (the up side of the foot) It hurts even if I touch it. Today I went for a run and I stopped from the pain.
    I can't recall any injury besides one day a month ago that I had to walk on heels for many hours.
    I don't know what to do.
    Stop the jogging for a while? Go and see a doctor or a podiatrist?
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Bump! I have podiatry questions too!!! i was told to rub my foot on a tennis ball, does this really help?
  • nurseshannon1975
    Options
    That's what I plan on trying! Thanks
  • nurseshannon1975
    Options
    lol Yea nurses are the worst patients! Glad you were around! I have specialized too...but dang it in telemetry and now home care. All I know about feet are that mine hurt lol. Thanks for the advice of the mobic or celebrex!
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I finally did something long overdue!! I went to a store that specializes in foot issues and got fitted for arch supports. I loved talking to somebody who could identify my issue by watching me walk for just a few mintues. It was so rewarding knowing there is help for my pain that doesn't include surgery, pills or time off my feet.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I had that last year. I didn't stay off of it and it finally turned into a metatarsal stress fracture. Then I had to stay off of it for about four weeks. After that four weeks it got better. All the foot pain cleared up while running on it about 8 weeks later.