Strength training/ lifting?

Options
This time around with losing weight and getting healthier, I want to be fit and STRONG as opposed to "skinny" like I always wanted. What's the point of being a size 2 if I can barely pick up my 20 lbs 1 year old?

Anyways, I've been thinking a lot about starting to lift weights and strength train. I've lost almost 20 lbs, but I still have around 35-40 to go before I get to where I ultimately want to be. Is it too early to start lifting? A couple people have told me that I need to lose the weight first, and then work on toning and getting stronger because it will just bulk me up on top of the fat. I'm pretty sure it doesn't work like that. I understand that more muscle burns more fat.

I have a very basic understanding of all this, and I'm just looking to learn more. I've taken Body Pump classes at my gym before, and I like them a lot, but I feel a little lost during the whole class. I don't know when to up the weight, or take it down, so I end up staying with the same weight the whole class.

I would love to hear what you all think, and any resources you could give me to educate myself would be great!
Thank you!

(P.S.- Sorry for all my jumbled thought! LOL)

Replies

• blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    start lifting, it will help with the weight lost. up the weights at class push it a little.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    It's never too early to lift. Lifting will help in losing weight. The people who tell you that lifting will bulk you up don't have a clue about weight training. I alternate days as far as cardio M W & F, and lifting T TH & Saturday.

Not sure about your class, but my rule of thumb, if you can do 3 sets of at least 12 reps in each set, up the weight. If it feels too easy, it is.
  • Ripken818836701
    Ripken818836701 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I lost 82 lbs in the past year and I lifted from day one. (I didnt want to end up looking like a jelly fish) If you dont lift while losing weight about 22% of your total weight loss will be from lean muscle. This is why most people who diet to cut weight and dont do some type of strength training program are not happy with their body after reaching or even surpassing their weight loss goal.
  • stenochick0417
    stenochick0417 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of where you're at -- still have 30-35 pounds I'd like to lose and I've been lurking on the forums for advice and it seems that weight training is the way to go, with cardio, of course. I started with bodybuilding.com and went with Jamie Eason's Livefit Trainer and so far, I'm loving it. It's hard, don't get me wrong -- but I feel better for it AND my body is starting to become a little more defined. I've only been at it for a month and still have 8 weeks to go, but it gave me a starting point because I was CLUELESS when it came to weight training. There's a Jamie Eason group on here that I'm a part of -- feel free to join if it interests you, and feel free to add me if you like.

OH also, the New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women is a great place to start, too. That's what I'm doing next.
  • arc_82
    arc_82 Posts: 9
    Options
    I second a lot of what people have said already. Start lifting! Be sure to eat enough to compensate for it, too, though. Pay attention to your protein intake and adjust your daily goals according to what your body is telling you you need.

The 22% of weight loss being muscle if you don't lift is scary but true. I find this article to be particularly helpful and motivating: http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/2011/05/skinny-fat/. I don't know about you, but I don't want to be skinny-fat!

Bodybuilding.com is great. You can go on and select a plan that is right for you. I'm doing the Jamie Eason 12 Week Burning the Fat program and I love it. I had been lifting for about 6 or 7 weeks before that and was getting bored just rotating through machines. I'm on week 3 of this program and already seeing changes in my body! I was surprised when I weighed in last week, too, and had lost more than double what I'd been losing (and I upped my calorie intake).
  • Devinsmama2309
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm definitely going to look into lifting starting soon. I'm kind of scared! LOL :smile: Hopefully I can handle it!
  • Ripken818836701
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm definitely going to look into lifting starting soon. I'm kind of scared! LOL :smile: Hopefully I can handle it!
    Please don't be scared!! After a couple weeks you will be lifting like a pro!! If you have any questions just ask!!
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Now don't pay that much attention to the scale when you start lifting weights. You may not lose "weight" on the scale, but you'll start losing inches.
  • KHoward05
    KHoward05 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I found a good website that will give you some ideas on what to do... i have about 4 programs that i am going to they all last 4-6 wks... im on the first one now and it is great... it mixes strength training and cardio to help you losel weight and tone... if you want to check it out the website is http://weightlossandtraining.com/freeworkoutroutines-women
  • BrittRae12
    Options
    You definitely won't bulk up! Strength training and lifting will increase build the muscles, which I've heard will boost your metabolism! I love that you want to get strong! I do too. I've been following a group called girls gone strong on facebook...these women are fantastic! Marianne is one of the women who is part of the group. I love her. She is so strong, but isn't bulky and manly. She's even got curves. You can follow her on myomytv.com. I hope this helps! :) Good luck

Oh lunges and stairs! They will kick your butt, but I find they help me lose weight and get strong in no time.
  • deeders1220
    deeders1220 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
  • Ripken818836701
    Options
    I found a good website that will give you some ideas on what to do... i have about 4 programs that i am going to they all last 4-6 wks... im on the first one now and it is great... it mixes strength training and cardio to help you losel weight and tone... if you want to check it out the website is http://weightlossandtraining.com/freeworkoutroutines-women
    There is no such thing as """tone"""
  • knapowell
    knapowell Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Not incorporating strength training/lifting on a regular basis (from the beginning) is my biggest regret. Do it, and do it now! I would be in much better shape had I made it an integral part of my workouts from day 1. I am making it a priority now, but I cringe when I think of where I could be.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options

This x 11ty billion

Also, The book New Rules of Lifting For Women
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Absolutely no reason to wait to add strength training. The first phase of New Rules is great as are Starting Strength and Strong Lifts.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Buy and read New Rules of Lifting for Women (on amazon for like $13)

Check out both Stronglifts 5x5 and Starting Strength beginner programs. Very compact, simple, straightforward, and effective. You can read up lots about them online.
  • quelquun
    quelquun Posts: 42 Member
    Options

This x 11ty billion

Also, The book New Rules of Lifting For Women

Ditto- check out that book! And start lifting now!

Also, i'm sure you already know this, but if you've never lifted before, it would be a good idea to partner up with someone with some strength training experience. They can watch that your form is correct and that you aren't potentially doing damage to your body.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as """tone"""

Remember, God kills a kitten every time someone says they want to "tone." Stop killing kittens! :P
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Can anyone recommend any thing for someone with no gym membership (but her own body weight, free weights and resistance bands)?
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I got New Rules of Lifting for Women today. I've only read the intro so far, but I would already recommend it! :-)