Portable but yummy lunches. Ideas?

Options
imiPod
imiPod Posts: 2 Member
Heya,
I am a biochem student and spend most of my days on campus/in labs and getting back home for lunch is too much fuss.
On campus, all the food is either too expensive or hideously unhealthy! The last couple of weeks, I have had to resort to bringing my own sandwiches in, and I really can't stand them anymore :/
Does anyone have some suggestions for a good packed lunch I could make myself that would be easy to take it, will survive a few hours in a lunch box and isn't a sandwich!!

Thanks,

xx

Replies

• butterfly0819
    Options
    What about salads? You can add different things to get a different combo and gets the pre-cut strips of meat to help fill you up. Although Id like to hear more ideas myself!
  • MaryGebhard
    MaryGebhard Posts: 22 Member
    Options
  • sondra216379
    sondra216379 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I take Tuna wraps, chicken wraps, cottage cheese, fruits, or dinner leftovers or salads
  • janelora
    janelora Posts: 7
    Options
    I freeze a 1/2 bottle of water then top it off.....and it keeps my lunch cold until lunch time. So I can take yogart,, salad, fresh cut veges, string cheese, fruit, pretty much anything you can eat that needs refrigerated. I also have access to a microwave, so sometimes I'll make soup and freeze in individual containers and then reheat.
  • SaedElhadri
    Options
    One of my favorite quick lunches that doesnt require a fridge is a pouch of Starkist Tuna Creations (garlic and herb) with ten Premium unsalted crackers. Very filling meal and the flavor is out of this world! It also wouldnt hurt if you would take a fruit such as an apple, pear, or banana.
  • JAGgirl47
    JAGgirl47 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I like the bagged coleslaw mix. Throw in some sliced scallions and chunks of Jennie-O turkey breast...maybe some chopped almonds. Pack a little side of a balsamic vinaigrette, or asian dressing. Recently just experimented with dressing made from miso paste and red wine vinegar. If I know I'm going to have a "hungry" day...some days I can just tell that's going to happen...I'll pack some cottage cheese and a boiled egg in additionl.
  • imiPod
    imiPod Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    OOh I'm loving these ideas!
    I reckon I'll try them out, especially the coleslaw ideas and some fruit. Time to go buy some tuppaware!
    Thanks everyone xx
  • hastings10
    hastings10 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i take ground turkey and ortega low sodium taco mix cook it and spread it on my salads later.
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Whoa!!! I'm WAY in love with the mason jar salad idea!!!!!
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    In the winter I make chili or other freezable entrees and freeze them in single servings. Then I pack the frozen item in with the rest of my lunch. The item thaws throughout the morning while keeping the rest of my lunch fairly cold. Then I just pop my homemade freezer item in the nuke. Even student lounges usually have microwaves.

I also second the Tuna Sensation pouches for everything from wraps to salads.

Curious what others have.
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Bump...bump...bump!

LOVE the mason jar salad idea!
  • kgillikin
    kgillikin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • debbiestine
    debbiestine Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Ole mexican tortillas are high in fiber and you can spread on hummus or wholly guacamole or laughing cow soft cheese and then add any type of meat or tuna and veggies- makes for a delicious filling sandwich wrap. I like the idea of putting a frozen water in there and it will keep your sandwich cold and be ready to drink by lunch.
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    Options
    I'm in bcem too, and food is sooo expensive at school. These are what I bring to school:

1. two sliced apples in lime juice
    2. sliced cucumber/ sweet peppers / carrot sticks
    3. homemade cookies (they're pretty dense and filling, oatmeal, raisins, nuts, coconut, pumpkin seeds etc.)
    4. homemade soup in a mason jar (non-lab days.. microwave is too far for my 5 minute breaks).
    5. bun or pita with cheese/salami and veggies (lab days).
    6. yogurt cup or two
    7. Mini spinach pizzas on a pita ( I will make extra for lunch the night before, great for lab days).
    8. I make a stack of thin rice crackers/ or ryvitas and peanut butter and put them in a ziploc.

I often eat both lunch and dinner at school, you know how it is.
    The only way I can keep up is to make soup/chili/stew and freeze it every couple of Sundays. I also chop veggies, and bake cookies, and divide them in bags and put them in the fridge. I also have a rule, I cook once and eat twice. I often make a lunch out of what I make for dinner. Sometimes I will eat it for days, haha. I don't have time to be constantly cooking.