First Half Marathon in less than 2 hours!

Options
2»

Replies

• k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Thanks! good job to you btw!! that's awesome, you should be so proud!
  • SERinDC
    SERinDC Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Also, I don't know if this helped me focus on runs or not, but in the last several months I have completely stopped wearing headphones/listening to music while running. Now I only run with other people or just thinking to myself-- great way to clear your mind. Part of this was inspired by not wanting to get hit by cars (serious concern living in a city!). Before I was hooked on music, and now I can't bear to run with it. Funny how things can change!

Good luck with all of your running efforts! Whatever speed or distance you are working towards, I know you can meet your goal with dedication and practice :)
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Also, I don't know if this helped me focus on runs or not, but in the last several months I have completely stopped wearing headphones/listening to music while running. Now I only run with other people or just thinking to myself-- great way to clear your mind. Part of this was inspired by not wanting to get hit by cars (serious concern living in a city!). Before I was hooked on music, and now I can't bear to run with it. Funny how things can change!

Good luck with all of your running efforts! Whatever speed or distance you are working towards, I know you can meet your goal with dedication and practice :)

I like running with music but even with a huge playlist it gets boring. I have started downloading podcasts and listening to those. I really like the change and makes my brain work a little harder : )
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    A coworker (who regularly runs long distance races) just last week invited me to train for a halfer in April of 2013. I've only ever walked/ran two 5ks, so it should be interesting to see if I can train effectively for it.
    Any tips? I'm a novice. :D

Most training plans run about 3 months long and require/recommend that you can run 5 miles easily before embarking. So, I'd say focus first on getting to 5 miles and feeling comfortable there before moving on to training for the whole race. To get to 5 miles of straight running, try increasing how much you can run in one outing (without walking) by 1/2 mile each week until you get to 5 (repeat a distance on any given week if it feels too hard to get to 1/2 farther the next week). Also, not sure how much you run now, but if you increase your runs to 3 times per week that helps a lot with building endurance. Adding in some intervals on the treadmill might help too.

Thanks! I do treadmill runs/intervals three times a week, sometimes four. Lately I've been working for speed so the distance hasn't been a concern and I'm usually sitting at around 2.5 mi after the sprint intervals. I will keep working on longer distances!

Also: I'm aware that treadmills are definitely NOT the same as pavement. I've been keeping my inclines around 4-5% for my tready workouts, and I'm pushing to get my butt outside in the fresh air for some realtime running too.

Congrats on your halfer time! That's got to feel just GREAT! Can't wait to get there too.:happy:
  • SERinDC
    Options
    My post half marathon race day recovery plan includes:

1. Eat a burger
    2. Take a nap
    3. Get a mani/pedi

Haha, works like a charm :)
  • cincymomof3
    cincymomof3 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Congrats on a really impressive time! My goal is to work towards a half marathon!
  • aussiesarah
    aussiesarah Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    That is an awesome first half effort and some very sensible tips. I've just run my 3rd half and got a new PB of 1:51:53 against my previous PB about 2 years ago of 2:04:30.

I agree with a lot of the training points you mentioned and I think the 3 key ones that I give credit for my improved time are:

1) Weight loss. I must be about 28lbs lighter than during my previous half and that has got to make it easier! (All thanks to MFP of course!)

2) Strength training. I've been doing body pump classes twice a week for the past year and my legs and core are definitely much stronger than they used to be. I previously had a lot of problems with shin splints and IT band pain but this doesn't seem to be a problem anymore which I put down to greater stability in my leg muscles.

3) Running with people faster than me. I've joined a running club and you are completely right about pushing yourself more if you run with people who are just that little bit quicker. I guess there is an underlying competitive spirit in all of us!

Enjoy your recovery. The only tip I would add to your list is give your body some rest when it needs it, and it definitely deserves a week off after a speedy half :o)
  • MeganSWoods
    MeganSWoods Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Cool! Good luck on your May 6th race! I had so much fun I'm considering signing up for another one in May :) Beware: half marathons may be addictive haha

I'm already signed up for one in June, too! Haha!
  • mollydubs
    mollydubs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!

I've started to get more and more interested in running - your tips are definitely appreciated!
  • SERinDC
    Options
    That is an awesome first half effort and some very sensible tips. I've just run my 3rd half and got a new PB of 1:51:53 against my previous PB about 2 years ago of 2:04:30.

Enjoy your recovery. The only tip I would add to your list is give your body some rest when it needs it, and it definitely deserves a week off after a speedy half :o)

Congrats on your races too! That's great to see such an awesome improvement in time.

I'm definitely recovering and taking it easy this week! I was just being funny about the burger, nap, and mani/pedi-- haha those were just things I did the day of the half marathon, but now I'm taking it easy this week and then going to gear back up for a 10 Miler in two weeks :)

Good luck with your future training!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!