Bedtime Snacks

Options
I heard eating a snack at bedtime helps your body to have fuel to work on what it needs to work on while you are sleeping. That is literally all I heard on the subject though. So what kind of snack? High protein, whole grains, good fats, piece of fruit? Any input?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I heard eating a snack at bedtime helps your body to have fuel to work on what it needs to work on while you are sleeping. That is literally all I heard on the subject though. So what kind of snack? High protein, whole grains, good fats, piece of fruit? Any input?

The most important thing to focus on will be your end-of-day totals for calories and macronutrients. By the time you're ready for bed, if we assume that you've eaten "most" of your daily allowance of food, you should just select whatever foods will best fill out your remaining needs. It really isn't going to matter much at all whether you eat protein, or carbs, or fats near the end of the day, assuming that you've managed to successfully hit your totals with a reasonable amount of accuracy.

For example, if I've got 500 calories left to fill and I've already hit my protein and fat targets, then maybe I'll have some ice cream or some oatmeal. If I've got 200 calories left to fill but I need to consume more fat because I fell short for the day, I'll probably have nuts or some peanut butter/etc.

What I'm getting at here is that the timing of these foods will not matter but the end of day totals will matter. Each night you'll end up in a spot (due to what you've eaten earlier) where you'll have some calories left to eat and you'll probably be short on protein or carbs or fat or some combination of them. Select foods that will best fill these voids.
  • bkandisjj29
    bkandisjj29 Posts: 172
    Options
    Makes sense. Thank you!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Makes sense. Thank you!

You're welcome. One additional thing to mention: It's also not necessary to eat something before bed, but it's also not harmful, again assuming you're eating an appropriate amount of food for the day.

I would suggest that you experiment a bit and see what you prefer -- just know that there really aren't any rules about WHEN you eat, provided you're eating the right amounts for the day.
  • samhelen
    samhelen Posts: 98
    Options

The most important thing to focus on will be your end-of-day totals for calories and macronutrients. By the time you're ready for bed, if we assume that you've eaten "most" of your daily allowance of food, you should just select whatever foods will best fill out your remaining needs. It really isn't going to matter much at all whether you eat protein, or carbs, or fats near the end of the day, assuming that you've managed to successfully hit your totals with a reasonable amount of accuracy.

For example, if I've got 500 calories left to fill and I've already hit my protein and fat targets, then maybe I'll have some ice cream or some oatmeal. If I've got 200 calories left to fill but I need to consume more fat because I fell short for the day, I'll probably have nuts or some peanut butter/etc.

What I'm getting at here is that the timing of these foods will not matter but the end of day totals will matter. Each night you'll end up in a spot (due to what you've eaten earlier) where you'll have some calories left to eat and you'll probably be short on protein or carbs or fat or some combination of them. Select foods that will best fill these voids.

Along those lines -- my "evening after workout pre-bed snack" due to macros and calorie availability resulted in a protein shake, sting cheese, turkey italian sausage link and a yo crunch yogurt.... because yes, I had that many calories left to fill but he's right -- just look at what you have left for the day and try to find things to fill it.
  • bkandisjj29
    bkandisjj29 Posts: 172
    Options
    Thanks guys! I heard a trainer on Oprah one time say absolutely do not eat anything after like 6 pm. That has messed with my head ever since. I always go to bed hungry. But then I saw that about always eat right before bed, and I was seriously confused! But what you guys are saying makes perfect sense.
  • BlackRangerX
    BlackRangerX Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I heard a trainer on Oprah one time say absolutely do not eat anything after like 6 pm. That has messed with my head ever since. I always go to bed hungry. But then I saw that about always eat right before bed, and I was seriously confused! But what you guys are saying makes perfect sense.

LOL maybe the trainer goes to bed at 6:01pm. If so, then he's absolutely right... For me, I usually eat right before I go to bed, but something low in carbs, good fats, and slow digesting protein. (ie: cottage cheese, casein protein, almonds, milk). If I have 700 calories left over, then hell, I just eat another meal. When I eat a huge meal and go right to bed, I'm miserable the next morning, so I try not to go overboard. Good luck