peanut butter junkie!!!

Options
lots of people say peanut butter isnt so bad, but it isnt exactly low cal either. I eat either a peanut butter and jelly, or peanut butter and banana sandwich almost every night. TERRIBLE! seems i cant break the cycle though.

ALSO- i was pretty surprised to learn jelly was way lower in calories than peanut butter!

any healthier peanut buttery ideas?

Replies

• Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I too eat it almost every day. YUM. Peanut butter is actually ok as long as you stick to the 2 tbsp serving size. I would recommend to be concious of how much you injest. I use it to help hit my protein and for calories pre or post workout. I also read to buy regular and not reduced fat, because the fats from nuts are actually good for your heart, and reduced fat removes the heath benefit, but still leaves you with 100+ calories! So enjoy you're pb and banana sanwiches (my favorite!!!!)
  • kaylandry
    Options
    Hey, huge PB fan here too. I usually have mine with fruit, that way I skip on the calories that would come with bread and jam for the sandwich. Banana or apple work great. If you really want something low in calories, go for celery with peanut butter on top :)
  • Channing
    Channing Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    here is a twist on a favorite for a treat! Cut up a banana and freeze it. Then blend the banana until its the consistency of frozen yogurt and the but a dollop of peanut butter, or if you really want to get crazy, Nutella on it! AH-MAZING!
  • JoCam127
    JoCam127 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you like 'satay' sauce, try some sauteed onion, a dollop of peanut butter mixed with about 100g of natural yoghurt, drizzled over chicken is devine !! I made it for the first time lastnight, with broccoli & some other veg's & will be putting that one on the regular menu ;)
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Well, there is PB2 which is a lower calorie powder that you mix with water to make peanut butter consistency. I'm skeptical and have never tried it but I have seen a lot of people on here say they like it.

I just bought Peanut Butter and Co dark chocolate dreams peanut butter but I haven't tried it yet. It's a little less calories (like 30 or so) than some of the other peanut butter I've been using.

I love peanut butter too. I've been mixing one tablespoon pb with one tablespoon of vanilla greek yogurt for a fruit dip...or it tastes so good that I just eat it without fruit too. :) Or I've been mixing 1 T of pb into a serving of greek yogurt and then freezing it and that is delicious too.

I probably eat pb 5-6 days a week but generally just a tablespoon per day.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    peanut butter is my absolute favorite food, but i have been sticking to one serving instead of eating it with a spoon right out of jar, gross i know but i am only one in house that eats the creamy they all like chunky
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    I use PB2. The regular one tastes like natural peanut butter and the chocolate PB2 is unbelievably good. It's only 45 calories for 2 tablespoons too.
  • TheUnwritten
    TheUnwritten Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter to death its my absolute favorite thing to eat.I agree that PB2 is the best for the lowest calorie count. Stay away from the Walden farms peanut spread its disgusting. My day was peanut butter loaded and itfeelsgoodman! =D
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    !!!ATTENTION ALL PEANUT BUTTER JUNKIES WHO LIVE NEAR A WHOLE FOODS!!!

There is a Amazing peanut butter whole foods sells called "Better N' Peanut Butter"

Here is nutritional facts:

Calories: 100 calories
    Total Fat: 2g
    Sodium: 190mg (they also sell a low sodium one)
    Total Carbohydrates: 13g
    Sugar: 2g
    Protein: 4g
    Fiber: 2g

Serving: (...Wait for it....) 2 Tbsp :happy:

Note: It does contain soy. The taste might be a little different from normal peanut butter but I think the taste is still good! And the worst thing that can happen is that you try it and don't like it :laugh:

Keep Calm and Carry On,
    Anna
  • Kempossible
    Kempossible Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Nature Valley Peanut Butter Squares. Taste very good. Only 90 calories! Good Luck!
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    If you like to dip it in apples or other fruit I'd suggest mixing a tbs of peanut butter with 1/2 a cup of fat free cottage cheese or a few tbs of fat free cool whip/whipped cream. It will give you a lot of volume :)
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I eat peanut butter everyday. It helps me get ENOUGH calories and necessary fats.

Don't be so mean to PB!
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i, too, love peanut butter! i have to keep it in the cabinet because if i see it, i will open the jar and eat some. but sometimes even having it out of sight doesn't stop me!
  • Brittany3914
    Brittany3914 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    !!!ATTENTION ALL PEANUT BUTTER JUNKIES WHO LIVE NEAR A WHOLE FOODS!!!

There is a Amazing peanut butter whole foods sells called "Better N' Peanut Butter"

Here is nutritional facts:

Calories: 100 calories
    Total Fat: 2g
    Sodium: 190mg (they also sell a low sodium one)
    Total Carbohydrates: 13g
    Sugar: 2g
    Protein: 4g
    Fiber: 2g

Serving: (...Wait for it....) 2 Tbsp :happy:

Note: It does contain soy. The taste might be a little different from normal peanut butter but I think the taste is still good! And the worst thing that can happen is that you try it and don't like it :laugh:

Keep Calm and Carry On,
    Anna

I think that's the brand recommended in the "Eat This, Not That" book :)
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    i eat some everyday too........Thanks For the Reminder:)
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I got some of the new Peanut Butter Cherrios and they are really good. 3/4 is a serving and it is only 110 calories. I might be a good night time snack for you. :)
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    You can make a spread with 1 c. of natural peanut butter and 1 block light silken tofu, well drained. Whip in a blender and put into a glass jar/dish for storing in fridge. 2 TBSP is about 85 calories.
  • peasantgirly
    peasantgirly Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    PB is my nemesis! I canNOT eat just one serving. I have to keep it in the house because I have several pets and there is always at least one of them that needs some kinda pill, (even if it's just a vitamin) and a "Spoonful of PB makes the medicine go down", LOL. However, I have resorted to keeping it in the medicine cabinet now because I couldn't handle seeing it in the pantry with the rest of the food! :laugh:
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I'm a peanut butter junkie and have been for 45 years. I also love fresh baked sourdough bread. A thick one inch slice of that with a big slab of butter then hit it with peanut butter and top off with a glass of cold fresh milk. I love it so much I have 7 jars in my pantry.

Sadly though I have come to realize that I must look at healthier brands. Icing sugar isn't good for me. So I'm going to try making my own and see how that works out.

Wish me luck.:cry:
  • mom2tek
    mom2tek Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love PB also. There are some great ides in here. Like mixing it with Greek yogurt and freezing it..Yum. I also like the idea of blending a frozen banana to a yogurt consistency and topping it with PB. Love it!