Anyone here with high blood pressure?

Options
I was put on medications because of stage 1 hypertension (high blood pressure). Didn't like the side effects of the medications, so with my doctor's blessing, I'm trying a lifestyle approach including exercise and diet.

What I found was that exercise alone didn't do it, even if I cycled for hours and hours. The key for me was lowering my sodium intake which is consistent with medical science and the DASH study and diet.
(More on DASH here from the Mayo Clinic) http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/dash-diet/HI00047

I don't religiously follow the DASH diet, but I do adhere to their lower sodium levels which studies have shown to lower blood pressure independently of the diet itself.

The regular DASH diet allows for 2300 mg/day of sodium and their lower sodium version allows for up to 1500 mg/day.

I'm on the lower sodium version and am usually between 1000-1500 mg/day but many times between 500 and 1000mg/day. This is also consistent with other sodium recommendations for those in higher risks groups such as people with high blood pressure, over 50, or those of Afro American descent or other groups genetically disposed to high blood pressure.

The results for me have been very good so far. In only a few weeks I have gone from Stage 1 hypertension to vacillating between normal and the pre-hypertensive stage. These were the same results I previously achieved with my medications, so in effect my dietary changes has done what the medications used to do -- but without the side effects!

The food log on MFP has been very helpful in keeping me at the lower sodium levels. Once you see what foods are high in sodium, it's really not very hard to find alternatives.

If you like canned soups, find a low sodium line like Health Valley. If you like peanut butter, try a lower sodium version or trail mix instead. If you eat a lot of bread, try Ezekiel, Trader Joe's or others that make a low or no sodium versions. Be very careful of processed foods and always read the labels. And if you're lazy like me, more companies are coming out with lower sodium frozen dinners. Amy's low sodium line and Healthy Choice, for example. Eating out can be a challenge, but if you keep your food choices simple (hold the sauces and salad dressings for example) many places can prepare low sodium alternatives.

Untreated high blood pressure can be very dangerous and should be treated. If you have high blood pressure and are treating it with medications, consider a lifestyle change such as a low sodium diet as an alternative. It's important to note that no one should ever stop taking blood pressure medications without first consulting with their doctor.

And for those of you who don't know what your blood pressure is, you should really make an appointment with your doctor or at a clinic to find out.

Here are the stages of high blood pressure (hypertension) , courtesy of Web MD:

Normal: Less than 120/80
Prehypertension: 120-139/80-89
Stage 1 high blood pressure: 140-159/90-99
Stage 2 high blood pressure: 160 and above/100 and above

Anyone else here with, or who has had high blood pressure? Are you taking meds or trying a lifestyle approach, or maybe a combination of the two?

-- James
###

Replies

• harebearva
    harebearva Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    At one point I was on high BP meds along with a few other meds. after dropping alot of weight and doing hi intensity cardio for about 10 months, I was off all meds with BP in the lower normal range. WHen I started it was around 140/100 with a resting heart rate of 95. Now, it averages 105/60 with a resting heart rate of around 60. I credit both diet and exercise.
  • jamesfit99
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss and overall health and blood pressure turnaround. Health Care would be a lot more affordable if more of us took a more preventative/lifestyle approach to medical issues.

-- James
  • harebearva
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss and overall health and blood pressure turnaround. Health Care would be a lot more affordable if more of us took a more preventative/lifestyle approach to medical issues.

-- James
    Yes indeed.
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with boarder line high blood pressure when I was 14. It was 140/85 (average). For the next 27 years, those numbers were consistent, and nothing was done, until I got a new primary care physician. She told me we've been monitoring my BP long enough, it was time for meds. The first dosage didn't provide the results we wanted, so I went up. For the next 3 years I was using the medication and my BP was about 120/70. NOTE: I've been doing weight training and cardio at the gym for the last 10 years, and this didn't seem to have any affect.

Back in January of this year, I completely changed my workout. Instead of heavy weight training 5 days a week, I started doing circuits 3 days a week. Instead of doing cardio for 30 minutes after weight training, I did interval cardio training on non-lifting days. After a month of this, I started noticing I was getting dizzy every time I stood up. I eventually thought to check my BP, and it was reading 100/55. I'm now taking the lowest dosage of my BP meds.

After reading your post, I know I can reduce my sodium by a lot. I'll start to work on that and see if I can finally get rid of my pills once and for all!

THANKS FOR THE INFO!
  • harebearva
    Options
    It's definitely a great feeling to wake up and only have to take a multi and some fish fat! Good luck. You can Knock it out !
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Great post...thank you. I have a family history of hypertension, and am trying really hard to stay off meds. I started with exercise and now I'm here trying to get my weight down. Even though I am a label reader from way back, I've had a few surprises with the sodium levels in some foods since tracking here, and am trying to keep it under 1600 mg. Thanks again for the encouragement.
  • ScottFree_66
    Options
    I have been battling high blood pressure for over 10 years (and losing)... I had heard of the dash diet but it wasn't until a couple weeks ago that I actually started trying it.

I just joined MFP a week ago and it has helped immensly... I plugged a typical day of my old "fast food" eating habits into the tool and was shocked to see I was over 10,000mg.

There is so much sodium in everyday foods.. it is shocking. I have to double check a lot of the nutrition info on this site... some have zero sodium in the nutrition guide when there there should be something there. I guess most people only put in calories and fats and don't realize how important tracking sodium is as well.

Staying under 1500mg is tough, but worth it. I highly recomend the dash diet for anyone with high bp.
  • ScottFree_66
    Options
    Had an appointment with the cardiologist yesterday and asked him about the dash diet... he said to also get lots of potassium!
    Now I've adde that to my tracking chart and I don't think I've ever hit the 3,500 goal MFP has.

Anyone have some good low sodium high potassium recipes?
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Great going James!

I am on Lisinoprol for HBP, for the first few years I was on Altace. I'm still on the meds but last time I was checked my BP was normal (on med). I'm hoping that with my lower sodium and increased activity over the past months next doctors visit I should be able to drop the meds or at least lower the dosage.
  • ericduffield
    ericduffield Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm on my 3rd BP medicine with no success in 3 months. I am absolutely shocked how much sodium foods have in them since starting MFP. I ate a sub sandwich from Ebert and Gerberts today and it was 2200Mg of sodium! It seems tough being single I eat a lot of "ready eat" meals which seam to be the worst.
  • ScottFree_66
    Options
    I used to wake up and make a run to Sonic for a couple of breakfast tacos. Then on my way to work I would stop at Taco Bell and get a grilled stuffed burrito (chicken). During my dinner break I would grab a 12" tuna on wheat at Subway.

All that fast food added up to over 11k of sodium!!! but no one ever talks about that, all they talk about are carbs and calories.

Even when adding foods into the "Diet Diary" here on MFP I have to double check the sodium and potassium because most of the time nothing is entered.

I do feel better now that I'm eating more fruits and vegetables and less processed foods. My cardiologist told me that along with a low sodium diet I need to be getting "lots" of potassium.

That is my current struggle, finding postassium rich foods and staying away from the salt (but can't let that sodium get too low).
  • cole137
    cole137 Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the DASH diet but I have HBP and I've been trying to limit my sodium intake to 1500mg/day for the last week but I've been averaging around 1800-2300mg instead so I definitely need to be extra dilligent about it!

I currently take a small dose of BP medication daily which hasn't presented any side effects for me, as far as I can tell. I'm hoping that as I continue to track my sodium intake and increase my fitness, I will be able to stop taking my medication all together.

It's insane the amount of sodium that is in foods that are often thought to be healthy! Sodium is now the first thing I look for when I'm grocery shopping.
  • justinamay0535
    justinamay0535 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with borderline high blood pressure for atleast the last 8 years. It runs in my dads side of the family and it doesnt help that Im overweight as well. I had my 2nd child 2 months ago and everything was going great until a few weeks ago my doctor noticed my blood pressure was averaging 158/98...which is high even for me! So last week she put me on labetalol and I hate it. The side effects make me feel nauseous for atleast 4-5 hours after each dose. Not to mention the extreme headaches I get from them. I have lost 22 lbs so far but after taking these I have noticed a weight gain of 3-4 lbs. I have not changed my diet or workout so Im wondering if its a side effect of the meds possibly from water retention. Im hoping that the more I take it the more the side effects wear off. In the meantime I am watching my sodium closely and continuing with my lifestyle change of no processed foods and eating as cleanly as I can. :)
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    One suggestion I have for everyone is to get a monitor to use at home. Many people have "white coat", that is your blood pressure is way higher in the doctor's office than at home. I got one, took it in for the doctor to check (actually read higher than the doctor's in her office) so although she checks my pressure, she takes my readings. I'm on a water pill, but would probably be on other meds if I hadn't done this. BTW...I'm almost looking forward to my next visit...readings are down at home, and maybe will be in her office, too. Tracking sodium and losing a few pounds....thanks MFP!
  • ScottFree_66
    Options
    If you have high blood pressure I strongly suggest you become familiar with the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH).

Direct link to a FREE printable version of the booklet at the "National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute" wesite. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/new_dash.pdf

I currently am having some of the best bp readings I have ever had and I strongly believe that the DASH diet is a big part of that.