Warrior Dash?

Options
Who's done one? (http://www.warriordash.com/index.php)
I REALLY want to do the coming here in July but I am admittedly a little scared. But it's right up my alley since I'm not a big traditional race runner.

If you have done one what kind of training did you do? Anything different? I already run and do strength training. I used to rock climb which would help a bit......

Replies

• thebigwindmill
    thebigwindmill Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I did it last July, and honestly, the obstacles mainly just look hard but are fairly easy. I only skipped one - the climbing of the giant wall, because I have very little upper body strength and didn't trust myself. The rest seemed more a challenge of courage. I'm sure you can do it with no problems. :happy:
  • amy041976
    amy041976 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I ran the Austin TX Warrior Dash in November. It was an amazing experience. You can run or walk as much as you need to and any obstacle that you cannot complete, you can go around. I was really worried about not being able to complete everything but all the participants work together to help everyone. It took me a little longer than I wanted to finish but I had an amazing time. Feel free to add me if you have any other questions.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I've signed up for one on July 21. From what I've heard from friends who have done one, it's less of a competition for most and more of a social event. Don't get me wrong, it's a physical challenge, but one done by people who are enjoying it rather than a full out competition/race. I still have to do more running & hill training to prepare as my strength should be enough for the obsticals that I've seen. Try to look around on YouTube for videos of previous dashes to get an idea of what they're like.
  • Mizzou91
    Mizzou91 Posts: 249
    Options
    I'm doing my first one in about a month. Just running a bunch and doing pushups/situps to prepare. I'll let you know how it goes!
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I wanted to do one this year and it's over here in June. Only problem is I have an injury at the moment so not going to happen. However, I AM doing it next year.
  • clovercreekelmo
    Options
    I did the Ohio one last June and it was a blast....you will certainly not have your best 5K time because the field was a little crowded, but it was awesome, just the same.
  • drfalktorres
    drfalktorres Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It's grand fun-- and because it's an entertaining race, there's no worry about "training"...just do what you do and go have a great time! You can go as slow/fast, competitive/recreational as you want! Good luck!
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm also thinking about it and got good replies from MFP peeps encouraging me to do it, so if I can find a way I will. I recommend you go to the warrior dash website if you didn't already, and also search YouTube for a couple of the really cool compilation videos to give the whole flavor. One vid is from a guy who participated wearing a helmet cam! I'm doing more hill climbing than I was before to get more ready.
  • myohana4
    myohana4 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I did it in Ohio last June too! And at the time I was only running a mile. It was a TOTAL blast and so much fun! I would do it again in a heart beat. I walked most of it...tried to run it but most of it was uphill and really muddy. People dressed up in themed costumes...so much fun!

According to the website, the only training you need to do is RUN! LOL

The obstacles were really easy and nothing to worry about.
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    It is super fun! I did it last year and it is great for beginners. Once you do that you will want to do the Tough Mudder.

As for preparation, endurance.
  • myohana4
    Options
    I've signed up for one on July 21. From what I've heard from friends who have done one, it's less of a competition for most and more of a social event. Don't get me wrong, it's a physical challenge, but one done by people who are enjoying it rather than a full out competition/race. I still have to do more running & hill training to prepare as my strength should be enough for the obsticals that I've seen. Try to look around on YouTube for videos of previous dashes to get an idea of what they're like.

That is exactly how it was! And we just moved out of the way of the people who were actually trying to get a good race time. But most people were not there for a competitive race.
  • sallyjmad
    sallyjmad Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    oh this is awesome!! Thanks for the responses! I'm totally going to sign up!!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I signed up for my first one next month... so excited... will let you know how it goes. They have a "training plan" on their website if you wanna take a look at it...
  • wildcard29
    wildcard29 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the one in Lake Elsinore in two weeks. I'm so excited my fiancee and 14 year step son are doing it with me:)
  • peachied
    peachied Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Ah! I so want to do the Warrior Dash. My friend completed the "race" last year and she said it was one of the funnest events she's attended. She said there was a big muddy celebration at the end.

AND
    If you are doing the WD in the summer, it would probably be best to get a heat in the morning. It will be cool and the track will be less jacked up
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I did Warrior Dash and Rugged Maniac last year, and did Tough Mudder this year. I am signed up for Warrior Dash AZ again next month. Like people have said, you don't have to be an elite athlete to enjoy Warrior Dash. You will feel more prepared if you can at least run a 5k comfortably and have enough upper body strength to climb a ladder. They are fun and there are all levels of people participating. You'll have a blast.
  • myohana4
    Options
    Just don't wear anything that you want to keep! :) Especially your shoes!
  • DawnVanSlim
    DawnVanSlim Posts: 10,471
    Options
    I am doing a Warrior Dash in August! Sounds like a blast, we plan on camping over night too :)
  • alundgren2002
    Options
    I've never done the WD, but want to. However, I did do a Super Spartan in Feb and am signed up for a Sprint and Beast in June. To me they are a FUN way to have an exercise goal. The distance isn't bad because you don't run it continuously and there is usually and 'out' if you can't do an obstacle. In the Spartan I did 30 burpees for each one I couldn't complete. GREAT time and do it with some friends!
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are doing one along with about a dozen other family members in August. It is good encouragement to get in shape for me, and he just thinks it will be fun (he is currently training for a 10 mile race). I'm hoping not to have to avoid any obstacles and have been working on building upper body strength to prepare. Jogged 4 miles today, then did some upper body strength training. We are also signed up for a Run For Your Life zombie run in September.