Smoothie recipes?

Options
ForeverIrish
ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
I love Jamba Juice. I've been told that smoothies have too much sugar in them. Does anyone have any smoothie recipes that may be a better choice than Jamba Juice?

Replies

• BustyTransformer
    BustyTransformer Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Try oxygenmag.com and look for their shake recipes. They have 100's that are healthy and delicious.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Do your own research on the Jamba question. Not all smoothies are alike.

Secondly, look up green smoothies on the internet. There are recipes everywhere. Generally 50/50 veggie and fruit smoothies taste good, are lower calorie, and much higher in nutrition that a fruit only smoothie.

Thirdly, if you are going to make veggie smoothies on your own, you are likely going to need a vitamix or a blendtech blender. Nothing else will really do the same thing those blenders do.
  • My green smoothie recipe- 1 banana, 1 kiwi, 1/2 cup frozen mango (optional), 1/4 cup water, 2 or 3 packed cups of spinach or kale, 1 T chia seeds and a large cup of ice. Blend it all up and enjoy. Green smoothies are the best! I don't use a Vitamix or Blendtec blender because I can't afford one right now. My Oster Beehive blender works well. I just have to pack down the spinach or kale during the blending.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt, stevia, protein powder and lots of frozen fruit of your choice...i do strawberries and banana....blend with a little ice, easy AND delish!!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    It is really easy to make a lower sugar smoothie than jamba juice. Most of their smoothies use sherbert or flavored yogurt. If you swap this for plain yogurt or milk or an unsweetened milk substitute , you are halfway there.

I mix 2/3-1 cup of liquid
    1-1.5 cups of fruit
    1 scoop of protein powder
    wild cards: ginger, lemon juice, lime juice, herbs, spices

This is about the right ratio for good consistency. If you use yogurt for the liquid, you'll probably need to add a little bit of a real liquid. If your smoothie is thin, add a couple of ice cubes. Feel free to look at my diary for some ideas.
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    My current fave fruit smoothie:

Zico coconut water
    Greek yogurt - plain
    Fruit -- usually a 3 berry mix + frozen cherries
    or
    1/2 banana + mango + baby spinach
    or
    really any fruit of your choice
  • OpenHeaven
    OpenHeaven Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Some of the Jamba smoothies are ok...BUT a lot of them have sherbet in them (REALLY JAMBA, Come on!!!!!). You also have to look at the size of smoothie you are buying. I always make smoothies in the morning, and I recently had a 5 week long work trip where I didn't have my glorious Blendtec (I ALMOST brought it), so I was forced to figure something else out. I thought for sure Jamba would be a wonderful idea...until I finally looked at the nutritional info, and what is in some of the smoothies!!!!!! To top it all off, I was getting the medium size!!! Oops!!!! There are some ok choices, but I like mine MUCH more!!!

I love GREEN smoothies!!! You will want a Blendtec or VItamix for it though (trust me I have tried other blenders - if you want a SMOOTH green smoothie, you will need it).

My typical smoothie:

A handfull of Kale
    Two BIG handfuls of Spinach
    Fruit - don't go crazy here, but I use like a 1/2 cup of frozen strawberries, blueberries, OR pineapple, and sometimes I throw a banana half in there
    Sometimes I will put a handful of baby carrots...not always
    A little bit of water (maybe like an inch at the bottom)

BLEND AWAY!!!! (oh and if you are considering purchasing a Blendtec, which I HIGHLY recommend, all you do is hit the "Smoothie" button, and you are done!!!!!)

This actually makes a good sized smoothie that fills me up and gets me going!!! Trust me, it doesn't taste like kale and spinach!!! LOL!!! You only taste the fruit!!

Actually, for anyone considering a Blendec, QVC has an excellent deal on one!! Just type "Blendtec" in the search bar.
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Mine is:
    2 cups fruit
    1 cup plain yogurt
    1 tablespoon honey.

My son guzzles the stuff down. It makes up to 3 cups finished. He downs it faster than I can keep his sippy cup refilled.
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all that answered this question! I'm going to take a look at my blender and stop driving over to Jamba Juice!

Did you hear that Starbucks is now in the fruit juice business?