healthy eating/dieting bullying

Options
I work in a small office. It is more like a family. There are only 7 of us. The office manager is the sweetest in the world. However, she shows her kindness by bringing in TONS of fatty, high calorie and sugary snacks ALL THE TIME. she is also constantly ordering out lunch. When you decline her calorie laden treats OR refuse the chinese take-out, she makes snide remarks. "one cookie is not going to hurt you" "you need some meat on your bones"...yada yada

she also comments rudely on my choice of snacks. "apples and peanut butter again!?" "cheerios? geez eat a damn piece of cheesecake!"

do any of you guys have to deal with this? since when did healthy eating become such a bad thing?!!

Replies

• rcramer7
    rcramer7 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    misery likes company. It wasn't that long ago that I was on the other side of the table (eating bad). Just remember it's not your job to change the way they do things. Just try to keep yourself on the right track.
  • AAthena
    AAthena Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who messes with me in a similar way. it may not be the best way to deal with it but I give it back to her (and we are still friends). If she comments on my spinach salad, I comment on the cake she is eating.

I also defend myself, not by preaching but by saying how much I love the healthy food. When people order food for lunch meetings, I get my lunch from the fridge and use the excuse that I just don't really like pizza and have been fantasizing about my new salad dressing (or whatever) all morning. People just think I am a health food nut and don't pressure me anymore (or at least very often). I do get made fun of sometimes "that looks like Athena food" but it does not involve much pressure.
  • slowturtle1
    slowturtle1 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Bring in a raw veggie tray (or some tofu, or some other healthy food that she most likely wouldn't eat on a bet) and tell her to have a piece. When she says no just say "Aw come on! One piece isn't gonna kill ya! Your heat might actually thank you!" ...

But in all seriousness, it is frustrating when people sabotage, whether they intend to or not. The more confident you are about what you do and don't want to eat, the less it will bother you, and that's really all you can control is your own reaction. Stay strong! You're doing well!