Protein powder

Options
Annadel
Annadel Posts: 146 Member
Hi All

I have never used protein powder before. I have read a lot of negative things about it. has metal, bad for your liver etc..
Pls let me know if you have suggestions or is my fear unreasonable ?

Thanks

Replies

• tantrum69
    tantrum69 Posts: 16
    Options
    Please tell me you didn't watch that 'supplement' news broadcast. Just like anything, there are good companies and bad companies. While nothing will replace whole foods there is nothing wrong at all with protein, just make sure it is quallity protein from a quality company.

Optimum Nutrition's Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein is top notch. They also have a Casein protein (slow protein).

Take a multi-vitamin, fish oil and if you need protein powder to supplement your macronutrient needs for protein. If you're trying to build some muscle take some creatine (kre-alkalyn is the one i'd suggest).

All safe and fine on the liver.

If you want to clean up your liver, you can do a variety of cleanses - start with no longer drinking alcohol, drink more water and possibly add some milk thistle for multi-week runs.

In short is your fear unreasonable? Yes and No. No unreasonable fear of the unknown but type-casting all 'brands' and 'proteins' is unreasonable.