Almond Milk

Options
taunto
taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
I'm seeing more and more about this. I have no idea what it is or why its better than the regular old moo-cow milk? Anyone mind filling me in on this new milk I keep hearing about? (btw, how can almond give milk? Since when do almonds have breasts...?)

Replies

• skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    almond milk is almonds that have been soaked, then blended and strained. :3

its lower fat than normal milk. plus you can get it flavored. i like unsweetened vanilla almond milk a lot. its really creamy and yummy! :D
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Try it and see if you like it... the brand I bought (Sanitarium) was pretty nasty, very sugary and watery.
    I'd like to try making my own sometime, though I don't drink a lot of milk anyway so for now I"m just going to stick with skim milk.
  • gurl0411
    gurl0411 Posts: 75
    Options
    i just just just bought silk almond milk since I'm lactose intolerant and was looking for alternatives. i tried soy milk but i hate it. the almond milk i tried was unsweetened and only 60 calories, i like the taste (Kind of tastes like watery but creamy almonds), i use it in my tea and cereal.
    try it out:)
  • girlinboots
    Options
    I LOVE almond milk! I started using it as a substitute for skim milk in my coffee. It's so much creamier. It definitely doesn't have the same consistency as like, half-and-half or whole milk, but it's pretty good. The stuff I get is Silk's unsweetened original (the vanilla flavored one is pretty good but I prefer stuff on the not so sweet side) which has a very very light taste of almonds. And a cup serving is only 35 calories! I've also tried coconut milk creamer (SoDelicious brand) for my coffee. It's much more on par with half-and-half in terms of creaminess without most of the calories. It does also have a hint of coconut to it, but I got the original unflavored one so you might not notice it in the other flavors.

In terms of what makes it "better" I think it's really all a matter of opinion. I've been trying to cut down on my dairy intake, so this was a good way to combat that. On top of that, as has already been mentioned, it's lower calorie. Depending on what kind you get it can also be enriched with more vitamins/nutrients, but check the label.

...And on a more personal note here...FOR PONY!
  • finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    i love almond milk! i'm a lactose intolerant vegetarian and am very soy dependent, so i try not to drink soy milk all the time. sometimes i drink almond milk, oat milk, sunflower milk (YUM)
    almond milk is extremely low calorie, its biggest plus!
    rice milk is the only fake milk i'm not a big fan of.
  • TheMiddlePath
    TheMiddlePath Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened Almond Milk is SO great for protein shakes, french toast, and so much more. It has the creaminess of milk without all the calories. Hardly has any protein BUT I find that I get more bang for my 'calories' with protein in protein powder vs protein in milk :)
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Love almond milk.

Ive always been a huge fan of milk (cow) until I learned what goes into it and really thought about it. So in search of an alternative, almond milk tastes the best in my opinion and comes in original, vanilla and chocolate flavors. I drink it by itself, in tea/coffee and for cereal. Sometimes I freeze it alittle and it tastes just like ice cream for such little calories.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I tried it because I've developed a lactose-intolerance.

It's got WAY less calories (unsweetened is 35 cal/cup vs. skim milk @ 80/cup)

It's also got more calcium.
  • rejoicin
    rejoicin Posts: 9
    Options
    I love almond milk too! Biggest plus for me is it doesn't have all the sugar that regular milk has and very low calories! Trader Joes or Silk are the brands I usually buy. Trader Joes has the pantry shelf one so you don't have to refrigerate until you open it. I like the unsweetened vanilla.
  • kathleennnnn
    Options
    I loveeee almond milk. My new obsession though is Coconut Almond milk which I think Blue Diamond makes. Sooo mmmm. That mixed with chocolate protein powder or shakeology tastes like an almond joy!!
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I like the taste and the unsweetened is very low in calories.
  • devilsangel2
    devilsangel2 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have been making my own almond milk but am having great difficulty getting any definite nutritional values for it. All the nutrtional information I have found put it at between 70 and 90 calories per cup - how come the bought one is so low cal?
  • ashmhen
    ashmhen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Its prob low cal because they would water it down more??
  • devilsangel2
    Options
    I wondered that, but I can't imagine watering it down anymore. I do 4 cups of water to 1 cup of almonds and I wouldn't really describe it as creamy like most people say the bought almond milk is. Maybe it's because I only have the "Magic Bullet" to make it in and not a big blender, so lose more of the pulp?
  • Alkirra
    Alkirra Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I made a beautiful custard with unsweetened Almond milk. I'll be buying it again that's for sure.
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I wondered that, but I can't imagine watering it down anymore. I do 4 cups of water to 1 cup of almonds and I wouldn't really describe it as creamy like most people say the bought almond milk is. Maybe it's because I only have the "Magic Bullet" to make it in and not a big blender, so lose more of the pulp?

I make it in a vitamix and it is so yummy, creamy and dreamy but, yes it is twice as high in calories as the bought so I seldom make it. I sweetened it a little with dates and add vanilla when I make it so that adds to the yummy factor and calories.
  • devilsangel2
    Options
    I make it in a vitamix and it is so yummy, creamy and dreamy but, yes it is twice as high in calories as the bought so I seldom make it. I sweetened it a little with dates and add vanilla when I make it so that adds to the yummy factor and calories.

Wish I knew how they can make it with so few calories and still keep it creamy if they don't add anything. I add nothing to mine and usually use it for my smoothies but I think I will be going back to using skim milk most of the time and save the cals.
  • headzy
    headzy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I tried it with crushed ice, beautiful on a hot day.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I have bought Blue Diamond unsweetened. My problem with regular milk is carbs. I'm diabetic and have to eat low carb. Milk has like 12 or 13 carbs per 8 oz and the almond milk has just 40 cals, 2 total carbs, 1 gram fiber so 1 net carb. Because I try to consume less than 65 total carbs per day milk just no longer fits into my diet. I can drink the unsweetened almond milk straight and it isn't bad. I use it in my coffee. I have used it in my mashed cauliflower too. I am looking forward to getting another carton and making pudding from it.
  • healthycurves2012
    Options
    I LOVE Blue Diamond Unsweetened Original almond milk! It is delicious and doesn't really taste any different than dairy milk, minus a faint nutty aftertaste. I use it in cereal, smoothies, and baking. My hubby isn't as health-conscious as me and thinks a lot of things I eat are gross, but he LOVES it in his cereal as well!