Do you count the calories of your herbs and spices

Options
Hi All,

I make a lot of food from scratch and I don't usually count the calories of the herbs and spices I mix in. I'm very good with everything else though that goes in, but not quiet the herbs and spices.

Do you think it makes a difference?

What do you do?

Mandy XXX

Replies

• nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Uh, no lol. I didn't even think that herbs had a caloric value anywhere north of like, 1 cal lol.

I've lost 10 pounds never counting herbs, and I love chilli flakes, pepper, tumerik and cinnamon.
  • roguex_1979
    roguex_1979 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm no scientist, but I think the amount of calories in herbs and spices are negligible. That's not to say that things like stock cubes, which are quite high in salt, shouldn't be counted. And unless you dumped a whole spice rack in your food, I doubt it would make an impact (maybe 1 or two calories).
  • sweetbeckymarie
    Options
    Yeah I don't think it matters too much, herbs aren't unhealthy and they don't skew your days nutritional value very much so I only add them if I feel like it. Same with plain black coffee, or sugar free gum. Call me lazy but oh well haha.
  • tinawharrison
    Options
    I use a packet of herbs and spices when I make mexican, i count the calories in those only because the packet has a bar code! It's about 9 calories for the whole packet. :laugh:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    File under "Life's too short" :happy:
  • tinawharrison
    Options
    File under "Life's too short" :happy:

Love this :laugh:
  • nero82
    nero82 Posts: 27
    Options
    woaahhhhh..... no.

If I did that I would NEVER get anything done. I'd spend my whole life logging my meals.
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    I don't count:
    Herbs and spices, vinegars, garlic, plain lettuce leaves, tabasco, Worcester sauce or my infrequent diet sodas. I don't think there's anything else I don't log though?
  • monkeypantz
    monkeypantz Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    OK Good to know I'm not the only one :)

Thanks Guys!
  • iwillsoonbeslim
    Options
    I don't count:
    Herbs and spices, vinegars, garlic, plain lettuce leaves, tabasco, Worcester sauce, sugar free gum or my infrequent diet sodas. I don't think there's anything else I don't log though?
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I do, but I'm like that...I also look at the carb content so everything goes on my list.
  • Deinonychus
    Options
    Good heavens no. I don't count condiments either.
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    the only things I count are salad cream, mayonaise and ketchup as they have cals and sugar etc but herbs no way :-)
  • Siannah
    Siannah Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    No I don't count them
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    Nope, but I do count the sodium if the info is there. Haven't figured out how to just add sodium to MFP diet yet though.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Yes of course. I'm up to 47 calories after 18 months.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I do, but not because I'm concerned about the calories - more because if I like something I've cooked I know what I've put in it! That's why I like others to put all their ingredients in too :flowerforyou:

4558573.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • jhann16
    jhann16 Posts: 62
    Options
    woaahhhhh..... no.

If I did that I would NEVER get anything done. I'd spend my whole life logging my meals.

Agreed.
  • Jweb8969
    Jweb8969 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    i definitely count all condiments - including bbq sauce - but never herbs and spices ~ ;)
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    depends on the amount of spices. When I cook Indian, I use a huge amount of spices and you would be surprised by how they add up! I made mashed Indian-spiced cauliflower the other day (delish by the way!) and there was about 100 calories worth of spices in the dish.