Resistance Bands

Options
Was talking to my boss today and she was telling me about a course that she has just done on corporate fitness for managers and it was suggested that you should try to fit in at least one session a week of strength training and it was suggested that the only equipment needed was a set of resistance bands.

I have a lot of weight to lose and not very flexible as a result. I have mild arthritis in my lower back and hips and have been told by physio to go for low impact exercise and not to do any major lifting whilst bending.

Should I consider using resistance bands? Can anyone recommend a type as I have looked on Ebay and there seem to be so so many different options.

Replies

• alicia_louise29
    Options
    Bump!!
  • chrisc16
    chrisc16 Posts: 94
    Options
    I've been using Bodylastic's now for a couple of years. They are very good. Check em' out at: http://www.bodylastics.com/

Do bands 3X a week and cardio every day that I can. Seems to work for me.
  • MamaBGood
    MamaBGood Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • sunshine45356
    sunshine45356 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have some of those issues also. I am 52 and have alot of weight to lose. Have lost about 52 lbs. I purchased the "Jillian Michaels Ultimate Body Shop" which uses your own bodies weight as resistance. Same as the Wieder Total Gym. No stress or impact to your joints. It uses resistance bands. I love mine It burns massive calories! Got it for about 1/2 price ordered from Walmarts website...149.00. Alot of bang for your buck...hope this helps. Good luck on your journey! :smooched:
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands are terrific, I've used them since I first started getting fit and now I'd consider myself pretty darn fit I still use them, just higher resistance! You can pop them in your handbag and have a sneaky workout at lunchtime or on a toilet break! I got mine from various places, but Amazon does a good range. Here's a set of three with different resistance so you can use different ones for different body parts or as you get stronger:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/66Fit-Exercise-Band-Set-Multi/dp/B000W090WW/ref=sr_1_5?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1332326097&sr=1-5

I also used them for rehabilitation after I tore the ligaments in my shoulder after a nasty fall.
  • JessDorian
    Options
    Its fun work! I use an item called shadowboxer. Bands connected to a belt placed just under your breasts. It comes with dvds so thatll keep you motivated. Also there are connectors for your legs! Website is www.myshadowboxer.com and the bands can be changed out from light,medium,hard and extreme!!!!!
  • emmalecras
    emmalecras Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone ... now to do some more research and get a set. Never thought I would ever be looking to purchase exercise equipment!!! LOL
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Resistance bands are good to use. They come in different strength. If you have a Marshall's in your city, call them to see if they have bands. I own resistance bands already and last week, I bought a medium weight band from Marshall for $5.99. Resistance loops are good too. Marshall sells 3 in a pack for $9.00. You might can find them at Walmart for that price as well. They might not be called resistance loops, but Pilate bands instead.