Ladies weight training - where to start?

Options
Weight training - where to start and how to push it?

Let's presume I am just getting up off the couch after a year of doing nothing. (This is true for me - I was injured and am now fixed)

Where do I start with weight training? How did you get started? Does anyone else want to start?

I was thinking of starting with a machines circuit at the gym and asking a trainer to help me find a starting point... which made me think of asking what people here did? I'd like to have some more free weights at home - I currently do 30day shred with 0.5 and/or 1kg weights, but that only really seems appropriate for the specific cardio/strength circuit she has set up.

And then how do I push it? Increase reps, or increase weight, or both, or switch up?

Tell me your stories! :D

Replies

• JenAiMarres
    JenAiMarres Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I started with a trainer a few sessions to get familiar with the equipment, but she basically only showed me the cybex type machines...my husband lifts so he showed me what to do in the "big boy" weight room, but we only have the chance to work out once a week together...I also joined a Body Pump class a few days a week (weights in a class setting ...mostly women). Slowly I am starting to feel more comfortable with weights but want to LOVE them!! I will need them to get the results I am looking for!
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    bump... i don't know what time it is over in the land where most of you live.
  • rcramer7
    rcramer7 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Research some fullbody workouts. That's what I do. You can also do a upper/lower split.

I do fullbody every other day. It takes me about 45-60 minutes. You can do less but, I don't recomend more. You need to rest your muscles. You can do cardio as often as you want.

Make sure you work your legs(squats atleast) they're the largest muscle group and burn lots of fat.

Try light weights with 12-15 reps for 2-3 sets. You should be able to complete or almost complete 2-3 sets per exercise.

Add a 20-30g whey protien shake mixed w/water after your workout. It will aid in recovery and feed your muscles.
  • tarak83
    tarak83 Posts: 40
    Options
    After a lot of research I found this article to be the most helpful:
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/a/weight101.htm

There is SO much conflicting information out there... it's been making my head spin.

I only just finished my first strength training workout. It's a bit strange because I'm so used to feeling out of breath and tired after working out (cardio)... not so much now. I'm sure I'll be sore tomorrow, but at the minute I feel like I should be doing something else.

I'm just using dumbells at home for now for a full body workout 3x a week.
    I've started myself out with 2 sets of 10 reps this week. Once I'm sure of myself and know that my form is good I'll increase the weight and number of sets.
  • darlenestanley
    darlenestanley Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    muscleandstrength.com for research and good workouts or if you have an iphone, I highly recommend the ipersonal trainer app. It gives you many options of how to train. I choose to do circuit training at the gym and I can't believe how it has pushed me through a great workout.