Cardio - Running or Sprinting?

Options
When you do your cardio, think of this.

Are you going to run at a slow pace for 3-5kms which barely gets your heart going
or are you going to crank it up and sprint which at the end of 10 or so 50m sprints, you want to puke
and your heart wants to explode :D

Just a different perspective on cardio when it involves running

So what do you guys prefer??
being an explosive athlete that i am, i sprint about twice a week
and when i mean sprint, its a 100m dash as fast as i can, about 10-15 times (30 second break)
and my 3km run about three times a week (4 minute 30 seconds a km)

543922_384463321572670_274528129232857_1497274_1849966491_n.jpg

11smr06.jpg

610x.jpg

Replies

• Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm currently training for a 5k, and in between my increases in distance to my steady non-stop jog, I've added in some interval training. I've only done it once so far, but I think even this one time made a big difference to how out of breath I was on the longer stretches, and how far I could run.

I fully intend my next jog out to be interval training as well, so mixing up interval sessions with increases in steady state distance/pace.

Not sure your pictures are a good example though. Sprinters do a lot of strength training to build that muscle, to get the explosive power out of the blocks.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Nice post.

I do both. I run three times a week. One run is a hill session (probably about 5 miles), another is a distance run (currently between 10 and 13 miles) and the third is a Tabata sprint training session (8 reps of 20 secs at max and 10 second recovery sandwiched between a warm up and cool down jog).

My feeling is that if you want to be a distance runner, run distance. If you want to be a sprinter, sprint. If you want to be "fit" you need to mix things up: challenge your body in different ways (and not restrict yourself to only cardio or indeed only running) for endurance, speed, agility, flexibility and strength.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    In longer distance running/training these are called Fartleks and anyone running for time in a 5K and above should incorporate them into the race. My opinion. 1K fun run, balls out only apply.
  • mousexox
    mousexox Posts: 7
    Options
    I love running and it dose get my heart rate up but my shin gets sore. I also enjoy cycling.
  • ironholgs
    ironholgs Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I agree that a good mix is the way to go. I'm training for long distances but I throw a sprint session into the mix each week, as doing intervals or sprint repeats will help with my flast speed.

I don't want to be a 100m sprinter but I know that doing this will bring my minute per mile pace down, which will see me run a marathon quicker than before. Add in hill sessions and a weekly long run.

Unfortunate that your sprinter in the first photo is a convicted drugs cheat.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    You do need to do both, but you also need to adjust the mix towards your goals. I'd say my distance training has improved my sprinting even more than vice versa, which may be unusual!

Yes, intervals may burn more calories in a shorter time, prevent muscles being burned and alter all those lovely sugar and cholesterol blood indicators for health, but they won't enable you to run a Marathon, or even develop the stamina for day-to-day activities. Walking round a trade fair for 12 hours carrying boxes, anyone?

Obviously you've chosen a particularly weedy runner to illustrate your point, but let me counter with this picture of the men's 3,000m, led my Mo Farah who is Team GB's Olympic marathon hopeful. Slim, yes, but definitely muscular and toned.

distancerunners.jpg
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    and when i mean sprint, its a 100m dash as fast as i can, about 10-15 times (30 second break)

Serious question: if you are running 5 days a week, then when do you lift weights?
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options

Serious question: if you are running 5 days a week, then when do you lift weights?

I'm an MMA fighter, i train 4 hours a day, 5 days a week.
    6am to 7.30 am = Cardio (Sprinting or Running + Strength/Conditioning; which is purely all HIIT)
    5.30pm to 8pm = Hard sparring + technical (wrestling, judo, jiu jitsu, boxing, kickboxing)

As a result, my recovery, muscular endurance, cardio and strength is impeccable.

I am not a body builder or someone who is trying to lose weight to look good or be healthy
  • mjbrenner
    mjbrenner Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm an MMA fighter, i train 4 hours a day, 5 days a week.
    6am to 7.30 am = Cardio (Sprinting or Running + Strength/Conditioning; which is purely all HIIT)
    5.30pm to 8pm = Hard sparring + technical (wrestling, judo, jiu jitsu, boxing, kickboxing)

As a result, my recovery, muscular endurance, cardio and strength is impeccable.

I am not a body builder or someone who is trying to lose weight to look good or be healthy

I had not realized that you were specifically training for MMA until after I posted - this makes a great deal of sense. Thanks for replying.