Beginners routine, thoughts?

Options
Hi, im 9 months post partum, weight 160lbs and want to get back down to around 130lbs. My stomach is in dire need of toning up. Anyway after hours and hours of researching ive come to the conclusion that i should be combining strength & cardio, with maybe a little more cardio at first so i can shift the extra weight, does that sound right? Does this plan of action sound good or not?

MON- 1hr of Zumba
TUE- 1hr Resistance band and toning class
WED- 1hr Zumba
THURS- 30DS with weights
FRI- Turbofire/HIIT
SAT- Full body strength routine
SUN- Rest

This to start, and then if i become fitter (which i hope i do) to add a spinning class to the thursday, and circuit training friday.
Btw my diet consists of a wholemeal breakfast, sandwhich/wrap/salad for lunch and chicken and veggies for dinner.
Any feedback would be SO appreciated, im a bit of a noooobbbb sorry! :)

Replies

• rachealb1972
    Options
    WOW this is only a start most people who have been training for months only do this

well done you just becareful not to burn out i was similar and wanted to lose it like you but i did too much too soon and ended up with an injury so not been able to train for 3 weeks im going back to swimming to build up the strength and im doing pilates tonight which will be my first time im excited about this

i love Zumba we have a Zumbathon weekend this weekend to raise funds for sports relief so friday im hoping to do 3 hours of Zumba fingers crossed

your going to blast this weigh out of the water and tone up well in the process xx
  • Bearz
    Bearz Posts: 3
    Options
    Report back in a couple of week, would be interesting to hear how you're getting on! : )

I struggle to get down the gym 5 days a week, I do it for one week, then the next week I manage just one day etc. But when I do go five days a week, I find that I want to go more and more (even venture out on a weeked for a run), and my eating is so much better too.

I've found for weight loss and toning up, you definitely need both cardio and strength training. By doing strength training, you're muscles need calories to burn during recovery, even 48 hours later, even in your sleep!

I'm feeling bad today, because I didn't manage to get down the gym this morning, had too much of a late night....anyways, good luck, and don't overdo it! :-)
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds like a great place to start, as long as you don't get burnt out on so much right away. You'll want to do more heavy resistance training than light on your strength days (move away from the resistance bands and more toward the heavy weights)-this will give you a much better body composition in the long run.
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to eat some of those calories back or you will feel like you are spinning your wheels.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posters, that's not a beginners routine!

If you're going from no exercise, you need to build up gradually. Your body *can* take being worked out 6 days a week, but that radical a change to your lifestyle will be nearly impossible to maintain.

What about aiming for three days a week (and make it flexible which days?). And some milder exercise like a 20 minute walk to the convenience store or something?

I went from nearly completely sedentry to walking around 15 - 30 min most days to adding in Zumba and yoga classes and longer walks in the weekend... over the course of about 4-5 months! I lost 17 pounds.

Ditto with your diet. Throw yourself from nothing into headlong healthy and you'll be veeeery likely to fail. It's simple psychology.

Change gradually. Be patient - it's a mind game as well as a physical thing. You took a while to gain the weight - if you want to keep it off, take it off slowly and aim to change your lifestyle into something you can maintain for the rest of your life!
  • becksfoster
    Options
    Sorry, by beginners i mean its the beginning to me actually having any sort of routine. Ive been on and off the gym for the past couple of weeks, so have increased my fitness and lowered my calories slightlyyy gradually. also im pretty sure im going to cave in and sit on my bum some days when ive been up all night with the baby. This is more just what i would ideally be doing lol, im not the type to overwork myself trust me ;) Thanks for the replies though really very helpful ^_^

Ill try and keep you up to date, my 'before' pictures have been shoved away now haha.
  • becksfoster
    Options
    I think it sounds like a great place to start, as long as you don't get burnt out on so much right away. You'll want to do more heavy resistance training than light on your strength days (move away from the resistance bands and more toward the heavy weights)-this will give you a much better body composition in the long run.

By heavy weights would i strictly need a bench and barbell? my gym is TINY, always crammed with people (mostly men) and as a beginner to weights totally out of my comfort zone! im quite self concious at the moment, would i need to buy equiptment for my home?
  • Dangerdat
    Dangerdat Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I like to work different muscle groups on different days but I think your main goal is cardio focused. The days you do strength training, are you planning to work every muscle group? Crazy but awesome. If you go heavy weights don't worry too much about reps, concentrate on form.

Compound exercises are your best friends with barbells. Squats with bicep curls, lunges with tricep kickbacks, etc. You have a gym, use it!
  • Bearz
    Bearz Posts: 3
    Options
    Check out the app bodyrock tv, no weights needed there, and those workouts will get you super fit and in super shape :-)
  • BootcampJunkie
    BootcampJunkie Posts: 69 Member
    Options

By heavy weights would i strictly need a bench and barbell? my gym is TINY, always crammed with people (mostly men) and as a beginner to weights totally out of my comfort zone! im quite self concious at the moment, would i need to buy equiptment for my home?

You don't have to go to crazy heavy weights it all depends on what goals you have in mind. I have stuck to my 8-10lbs dumbells for 3 years and i still get sore after my circuit. But i do throw in a heavier kettle bell or medicine ball just to throw my muscles off from time to time. Building the strength to lift 100lbs is alot harder to maintain if you decided to cut back on you fitness. Stick to what you are comfortable with it makes it a whole lot easier to want to commit and stick to it. And as far as how many days per week if each workout is an hour you are doing awesome with your schedule. Just keep eating healthy and having fun and you will be an awesome role model at the gym.