Let's give this a try, soul destroyed :-(

Options
Hi all

New to this, need to try a new approach. Joined a gym in November as I was struggling to lose weight, had joined Slimming World and after sticking to it for 10 weeks and paying my weekly fee I lost a total of 2lb! Since November been doing Zumba 3 times a week, plus body pump, with no result, so have changed now to include some gym work and swimming. On top of this though, I do quite a lot of walking (which I have for years) normally at least 45 mins a day with a very energetic dog. My frustration has become more apparent recently, had my thyroid checked and all clear. Have been walking extra, another 3 times a week with my friend, who has now dropped a dress size! So now I am going to use the calories/exercise calculator on here, can't help but feel very frustrated. Sorry to introduce myself on a downer.

Replies

• leahnoelle31
    leahnoelle31 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Good job on all the exercise! What does your diet look like?
  • Meloonie
    Meloonie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You can do it! This site is great for loads of support and advice.
  • eville23
    eville23 Posts: 8
    Options
    Welcome!

Sorry to hear you are having a tough time. I have been on MFP for about 2 weeks. I'm not seeing instant results, but I am learning heaps about what kinds of food I put into my body!

You might be like me and need to do LOTS of exercise to shift weight. I've found that the only thing that really works for me in jogging. It's the only thing that really gets me sweating and my heart rate going. Have you done the 'Couch to 5km' program? It's a podcast that coaches you through a 9 week walking-to-jogging program and it's brilliant.

I recommend try logging calories here and jogging. I'm just having faith for now -- hoping for some real progress on the scales after 5 weeks!

Feel free to add me as a friend so we can motivate each other

Good luck! x
  • jhann16
    jhann16 Posts: 62
    Options
    Good job on all the exercise! What does your diet look like?

I agree, we need to see your food diary. The quality of food matters greatly. Excellent job on exercise!
  • katem78
    katem78 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Lots of exercise! good job!!

but tell us what you eat everyday!!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Sounds like you've got a handle on exercise. You've no doubt improved your cardiovascular health and strenghtened your body. Great job! Now, with all that exercise, you need to make sure you're fueling your body properly and sufficiently. The more you exercise, the more you need to eat to fuel the calorie-burning machine that you are! Add me if you'd like!
  • SusanaLdn
    SusanaLdn Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have no idea of your height/weight, etc, but it sounds like you could be not eating enough calories and your body just holds on to what it's got thinking you're trying to kill it. Might sound crazy, but as you start reading forums and stories from people who only started losing weight when they increased their calorie intake, it all might make sense :)

All the best in your journey, and remember to always start the day smiling :))
  • Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I really think tracking your calories is going to help you. I love Slimming World but being on here and doing this has really highlighted the importance of lots of 'superfree' as they call it and far less of the 'free'. Many people feel they've been 100% on sw but really haven't had the 1/3 rule of 'superfree'. Track your calories learn portion size and the world's your oyster I reckon....just don't eat the oyster they're bleurgh!
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :heart: You are doing GREAT by being here and reaching out. As the others have indicated, the Number One mistake that we see is that people are not eating enough.
    It is kind of like leaving in a Car on a trip from Oklahoma to New York, but only putting $5 worth of gas inthe car and expecting to drive straight through to New York.
    :flowerforyou: Welcome to MFP!!
  • paulyarwooduk
    Options
    Hey welcome to MFP :flowerforyou:

As everyone has said, there are loads of people here who have or are going through the same thing so you are not alone. But there are also people with lots of useful advice, one of which will surely fit your bill.

One thing I have learned is that when it comes to exercise I really need a hard cardiovascular workout. One that gets me gargling my lungs (so to speak) for a good 20-30 minutes. I tried all sorts of exercise and the ones that really work for me are the DVD's by Jillian Michaels. I find her quite annoying if I'm honest but her workouts (particularly her ab workout) along with a good varied diet really do work for me...but only if I am eating enough.

Although walking is great unless I personally am walking extremely quickly it alone will not help me to lose weight. As I have already said, there are loads of people here all of which are very happy to offer you advice and support. Send me a friend request if you like :happy:

All the best,
    Paul
  • swedishwillow
    swedishwillow Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    hey there, there's no need for your soul to be destroyed WE ARE ALL DIFFERENT and as such we need to work things out food & exercise to get the most optimal results, what does your diet look like? Can you open your diary for us to see?
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    we can be frustrated together !!! you sound just like me!! feel free to add me
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Good luck, I promise calorie counting using MFP works! Serving size is key. I had no idea how I'd managed to become obese before I worked out I was easily consuming 3,000 calories a day!
  • carrie1013
    carrie1013 Posts: 129
    Options
    As everyone else has said, tracking your food will be an eye opener for you. It was quite a shock when I first started logging. Good luck to you, and feel free to add me for support as well :smile:
  • purplep41n
    purplep41n Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are doing more than enough exercise. I'm struggling despite the fact that I've cut my calorie intake down by about 2000 calories and I am now doing at least 5 hours of high intensity exercise.

I have, unfortunately, weighed myself on 3 different sets of scales and the differences are all too huge to know which one is right.

I did take my measurements though and I have a few pairs of jeans and trousers to test on myself :)

In the past I've always gone for the weight indicator which is proving more of a problem as I get older. I can put on up to 14 pounds in a day just from water retention! This time is different, I will keep an eye on my weight but more importance on clothes and measurements. I think its going to be a while before the number on this changes from 0 pounds loss.

It sounds like you may need to consider doing similar just to try and take a different approach. In the mean time, it sounds like you need to look at your food. What did they say at Slimming World?

Feel free to add me.
  • evansfarber
    evansfarber Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I had to drop my calories from 1800 to 1600 to see any results even with massive amounts of walking...stick with it. It works!
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    Id fill out your profile and open your diary so people can have a better understanding of what your life is like and what you eat. Trust me, if your eating the wrong things, most times you wont lose weight no matter how hard you work. I have gone through phases where I exercised to eat and it is just not worth it.
  • debrascribner
    Options
    The encouragement and support you will receive here will have you out of the downers in no time! You are doing everything right so far because you have changed it up a lot and you didnt give up! You should be proud of your determination! I know we are! Stick around we grow on you as the pounds fall offfff!!!!!! And they will! Add me as a pal!!!!!
  • KathieSwenson
    Options
    Hey welcome to MFP :flowerforyou:

As everyone has said, there are loads of people here who have or are going through the same thing so you are not alone. But there are also people with lots of useful advice, one of which will surely fit your bill.

One thing I have learned is that when it comes to exercise I really need a hard cardiovascular workout. One that gets me gargling my lungs (so to speak) for a good 20-30 minutes. I tried all sorts of exercise and the ones that really work for me are the DVD's by Jillian Michaels. I find her quite annoying if I'm honest but her workouts (particularly her ab workout) along with a good varied diet really do work for me...but only if I am eating enough.

Although walking is great unless I personally am walking extremely quickly it alone will not help me to lose weight. As I have already said, there are loads of people here all of which are very happy to offer you advice and support. Send me a friend request if you like :happy:

All the best,
    Paul

I to find Julian micheals to be a good workout. I had lost down to 193 and then platue. Now with her program it seems I'm loosing again. I actually had the same issue with loosing. I worked on it for three years doing everything I could come to find out I'm pre diabetic. They put me on meds coupled with exercising and healthy meals and I started coming down. Iall the med's do is help my liver produce what it needs to control sugar levels correctly. I hope that you will not find your self at the dr again. I know you can do this with out the meds and in may ill be talking to the physician about coming off them. Since we know I'm pre diabetic I don't want to do that till the dr says I'm ready. My main advice would be. Eat healthy well balanced meals. I went and bought a cook book for diabetics because they eat extremely healthy and the foods are actually really good. And follow the calorie counter if it says 1200 make sure you eat 1200 I personally do don't eat back calories from exercise because I gained weight when I did that but you can eat back exercise calories as well if you prefer. They can only have so many grams of sugar per meal and so calories,tend to be lower in the meals as well if you go with diabetic cookbooks. The main thing is what Paul said, there are a lot of people on here with their own advice and opinions. You do what feels right to you and as you work through them you can ask questions about what to do if you get stumped. The main thing is what works for me won't necessarily work for you. Example I have access to medication you may not. okay that being said add me if ou would like.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

In January, I started exercising 5-7 days a week. Over two months, I actually GAINED weight! It wasn't until I started tracking my food intake in March that I started to see weight loss.