Dedication: Shay Carl & The Shaytards - Prepare to be Inspir

Options
It's weird to say that I watch a family post daily videos on YouTube. However, I do. I write this post because I want to share the inspiration it has provided me to the MFP community.

I have been a fan of a family called the "Shaytards" (a name derived from unitard, not the insulting word) for about 2 years. At the time, Shay Carl, the father, was a caricature of sorts; a obese, 280+ pound man, who was obnoxious and jolly at the same time, that exuded positivity and happiness. In short, he was an example to many who wanted to maximize happiness in their own lives. In fact, he has nearly a million subscribers on YouTube, and has over half a billion views on his channels. Nevertheless, his weight was a constant burden he had on his shoulders, and struggled to get in shape.

Shay had a weight loss channel and was always trying to lose weight, but apparently couldn't, as his weight kept increasing to over 280+ pounds at his heaviest. However, this summer, he had enough, and started to hold daily weigh-ins at his house with his friends. His weight slowly, but surely, started coming off. This was also my initial inspiration for getting in shape. I was pushing 225 pounds and was absolutely the heaviest I've ever been. I am now at 170.8 pounds.

Shay just completed the LA Marathon this past Sunday. That's 26.2 miles. His official time is 3:49:38. He has lost over 100 pounds.

Without further ado, here is his most recent vlog, highlighting his journey thus far: http://youtu.be/A0G5J6aAVv0

I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend you watch it if you value good familial values and positivity. Enjoy, and prepare to laugh, cry, and be inspired.

Thanks for listening.

7-shay-carl--92000.jpg
19b8856.jpg?1332078483

Replies

• djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Cute, but SUPERRR long
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    BiscuitsNDavy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Cute, but SUPERRR long

It's the same length as a reality show, but without the scripts and commercials.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    OMG, ..I LOVE. THE SHAY TARDS, and also have followed this Awesome family for, oh dear, us its 2 years already, have
    Even his parents are cool. Last years Christmas Special, where they must of rented the entire gym blew me away. Awesome, fun.
    I've watched Rock Tard eyeing his Father (and all his silly antics,) practically from the womb ha, and. .. I. Believe that little one is gonna be a Mini -Shay,..& boy are they gonna be in Troubbbblllle..ha ha.
    On a Similar note, Shay was MY MOTIVATOR TO START MY JOURNEY,!!!.His very first relateable stadium steps exercise, with back fat jiggle,was poignantly real.He inspired me to actually start my journey into Blendering raw Meals.
    It was nice of you to introduce the mfp family to Shaytards!..( its just a show name kids ).
    I agree, check this lovely family for yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • smplycomplicated
    smplycomplicated Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I've watched him for a while, Not daily, But still a fan. I think He has made an amazing transformation, and i know how popular is Vid's are and how many people he can and will inspire with his weight loss!
  • zippymelanie68
    Options
    awe how touching! thanks for posting. I wished I was following him since the beginning then i'd probably be bawling right now :)
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of these people before but I watched him run that marathon and it made me cry. What an amazing transformation! Thanks for sharing!
  • olivetree_
    olivetree_ Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    My 2nd family! I'm sooooooosososososo proud of Shay!!
  • BiscuitsNDavy
    BiscuitsNDavy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    awe how touching! thanks for posting. I wished I was following him since the beginning then i'd probably be bawling right now :)

Not gonna lie, I cried.
  • megan_mp
    megan_mp Posts: 77
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this - I've never heard of this family, but the race was very emotional...

I'm subscribed now. ;)
  • AngrySnail
    AngrySnail Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I love Shay and he has motivated me so much. I posted the LA marathon vid on my facebook wall. I cried through the whole thing, because he'd achieved it, because of the love of his family and especially Colette. She just made me bawl. Go SHAY!
  • southrider
    southrider Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I cried. Like a big baby!!!
  • whitneyann0
    whitneyann0 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I used to watch him all the time!!!

It's been a couple years since I've watched any of his videos... and WOW!!! What an amazing transformation!

One of my goals has been to run a marathon.... and he just proved that you an go from being overweight/obese to being healthy and running marathons!!! I WILL do this!

I am so beyond inspired.

Thank you for posting!!! :bigsmile:
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Love Shay, been watching for years - oh and SXEPhil too - love him to bits!
  • Woooolywool
    Woooolywool Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I freakin' love Shay Carl and the Shaytards. I've been watching their videos for about two years or so too now. And at one point I stopped watching the videos...until a month or so ago. And I was astounded by how much weight he'd lost! I didn't think he was even the same person...not only was he physically different, but you could see the change in how he behaved, how much more comfortable he felt with himself.

He's such an inspiration!
  • fitnoflab
    fitnoflab Posts: 100
    Options
    Thank you for suggesting this video. I loved it.
  • bellachops101
    bellachops101 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting this, he is an awesome and inspirational guy. And I think is with is pretty amazing too, so much love for her man!
  • MountainMamaMarissa
    MountainMamaMarissa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I've been following his weight loss journeys for a while now, I'm so happy to see him succeed this time. He's worked so hard to achieve his goals and is a huge inspiration to me. I watched it yesterday and every time Katiellete cried, I cried. Very inspiring, indeed!
  • bmkx0
    bmkx0 Posts: 308
    Options
    i love the shaytards!
  • bmkx0
    bmkx0 Posts: 308
    Options
    bump
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Holy smokes! I used to watch all the time, but haven't for....uh....like 8 months or a year and I had no idea he had lost so much weight! Wowza! Damn, now I'm going to have to get caught up watching. :/
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!