Sugar levels- what gives???

Options
aLatz13
aLatz13 Posts: 60 Member
So I've been tracking my sugar levels on MFP for a few months now and I easily double the amount of sugar that MFP has set as my daily goal. I'm usually on a 1200-1400 calorie diet, but i'm also a runner so I try to avoid artificial sweetners when possible. And today at breakfast I had a yogurt and a banana and I'm already over my sugar level for the day. Annoying! So i thought about it and right now MFP says the goal for sugar is 30g, but if I try to eat 2-3 servings of fruit a day, that usually puts me over, and that's not including any sugar in my other foods. 2 apples at 14g each is 28 grams of sugar leaving me 2 from other sources.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I should be adjusting my sugar goals from what MFP made, changing my diet, or just accepting the fact that I'm apparently a sugar-holic.

Thanks guys!

Replies

• charlenem99
    Options
    Sugar from fruit is called fructose. It is a simple sugar that is metabolized quickly and easily by the body. Moderate fruit intake is certainly recommended as part of a healthy, well rounded diet. Simple sugars, like fructose, are not a problem for people who are active and healthy. The problem would be if you have been diagnosed with diabetes or prediabetes. In this case, some fruit intake is good, but excessive intake could lead to high blood sugar.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar. I track protein, total carbohydrates, fat. Unless you are diabetic, there probably isn't a real reason to track the sugar specifically.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I really believe the MFP default sugar goal is far too low. I recommend you check with your doctor or nutritionist to set a realistic and healthy goal for you. Or ignore it and just make healthy decisions.
  • lisaontiveros13
    lisaontiveros13 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am also having this issue. When I consulted the American Heart Association site, I found the recommendations in terms of grams and calories to be similar to MFP. (http://mytinyurl.com/ahasugar) Yet, when I consult the suggested servings page from the same site (http://mytinyurl.com/ahaservings), it recommends 4 servings of fruit for a 1600 calorie diet. For a person on a 1200 calorie diet, this would translate to three servings. Like you, three servings of fruit puts me over my goal, according to MFP.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I don't track sugar. I track protein, total carbohydrates, fat. Unless you are diabetic, there probably isn't a real reason to track the sugar specifically.

Don't even need to track it if you're diabetic really. I'm Type 2 and I just take carbs-fiber grams to determine medication dosage.