Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Weight and antidepressants?

Hi All...has anyone had a hard time losing on an antidepressant drug? I am on a very low dosage but gained about 10lbs for no reason. Been watching my calories and exercising since the beginning of Jan. and still only lost about 3 lbs. Just curious. Thanks

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    It really really depends on what antidepressant and what class of drug you are on. There are different types of medicine used for antidepressant properties. If you have gained 10 lbs in one month, make sure to let your psychiatrist know that. Some people gain and some people lose on different medicines. You might need to explore your options with your doctor.
  • Snow__White
    Snow__White Posts: 1,650 Member
    well some antidepressants can increase appetite!
  • gsarro
    gsarro Posts: 25 Member
    I gained maybe three to four pounds on the antidepressants I am on. There are some that are worse in the weight category than others. I would discuss it with your doctor to see if you can change them. If not, the weight is better than the alternative of going off them, I've tried.

good luck
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 583 Member
    im currently on citalopram, it made no change to my weight loss or ability to maintain.
  • acuratlsd
    acuratlsd Posts: 228
    I take 400mg of Wellbutrin a day and they say taking that amount can promote weight loss. It works for me.

Then I take anther drug that helps with weight loss because it dehydrates me so I am always pounding water down and since I am so full of water I lower my portion sizes.
  • lisaontiveros13
    lisaontiveros13 Posts: 15 Member
    I took Paxil after the birth of my third child. While on it, I gained an additional 30 pounds.....talk about depressing! Changing to another class of drugs has helped greatly. I still have to work very hard to maintain or lose weight, but at least my medication is not working against me.

Stick with it and good luck!