Brain washed

Options
I think I have brainwashed myself... I have it so set in my head that I need to stay under a certain calorie goal and need to be at the gym at least 5 - 6 days a week. I make healthy choices but I haven't lost in weeks again I just keep maintaining. How do you all break the cycle?

I really thought I would have lost a lot more by now!! Any tips or help is so greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,116 Member
    Options
    Redo your goals. You probably need to eat more, now that you have less to lose.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • MissMollieK
    MissMollieK Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I say - give yourself a week off and just be yourself...don't count calories or keep track of workouts...just enjoy your days and obviously I believe you will keep active if you are used to it already....I have heard so many times when people do this they suddenly break a plateau:) Good luck!
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel.

I have been eating NET calories of 1200 since New Year and I was doing great. Hubby bought me an exercise machine for my birthday in November and I was using that for an hour a day, 5 days a week. Mid Feb I joined the gym and since then I have lost and gained the same five pounds. Driving me crazy.

This last week I through calorie counting out the window and ate what I wanted and now this week I am back to 1200. Hoping that the change will be a 'shock' to the system.

Sorry I can't offer any advice though.

Good luck. X
  • chicpeach
    chicpeach Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Try a week or two of a different type of diet: low sodium, vegetarian or maybe a fast where you eat only fruits. Just do something very different with your diet. Heck just try working in one new food that you've never had before each day. Sometimes just leaving your comfort zone and trying something new and different is enough to get you back on track.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I saw 2 trends in a quick look over the last 7-10 days.

1) You often under your calorie allowance by 100-300 calories. You should be relishing every last calorie you are given. You will probably find yourself with more energy when you start eating a little more. Which should help you to get moving more. Which brings me to my second point.

2) Your workouts aren't burning a lot of calories. Unless you have an injury, step it up a bit!!

Not that everyone needs to do what I do, but as an example, I get 1250 calories, plus the apx 200 I get each day for working out. Most days I eat at least 1500 cals, and consider myself a little more active than sedentary. I am losing 1 pound a week pretty regularly.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of cycling your calories? Don't go off the wagon and totally binge, but when I'm in a plateau, I give myself 1 or 2 higher calorie days. I will stay the same or maybe gain a bit, but the next few days on track, I'll drop like 3 or 4. It's beneficial to trick your body every now and again because it likes equilibrium, and a steady calorie deficit will cause it to hold onto more weight. You can also do it by changing up your workouts. Best of luck.
  • sassyntat2ed
    Options
    well I had knee surgery years ago and I noticed when I jog on the treadmill my knee really bothers me... I added an incline instead of walking flat now so I am hoping that helps!
    I saw 2 trends in a quick look over the last 7-10 days.

1) You often under your calorie allowance by 100-300 calories. You should be relishing every last calorie you are given. You will probably find yourself with more energy when you start eating a little more. Which should help you to get moving more. Which brings me to my second point.

2) Your workouts aren't burning a lot of calories. Unless you have an injury, step it up a bit!!

Not that everyone needs to do what I do, but as an example, I get 1250 calories, plus the apx 200 I get each day for working out. Most days I eat at least 1500 cals, and consider myself a little more active than sedentary. I am losing 1 pound a week pretty regularly.
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Definitely be careful with your knees!! Ihave heard that the elliptical machine is easier on the knees and a good cardio workout. My mom had knee replacement and favors swimming, and the exercise bike.

If you haven't already, you should consider adding toning exercises to your cardio. There are something like 8 billion benefits to strength training. And I don't mean you have to go and start heavy weight lifting (unless you are into that, then go for it!) But things like lunges & squats & push ups & planks.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I agree with a previous post, you should probably be eating more.
    I'd suggest adding some healthy fats.
  • gersoco
    gersoco Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    A lot of times I will go either over up to 500 cals or under the same amount to keep my body guessing.. and to keep the weight dropping. Over the course of a week, my daily average tends to match the number of cals that MFP says I should be eating.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    eat more!
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Interesting, we are at about the same weight lost and Ive hit a 2 week plateau as well. Maybe its just a "halfway there" mental block :)

Keep doing all the right things and it will happen!
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    DO NOT eat more. You aren't losing weight because you are not burning enough calories for what you are taking in. (starvation mode is largely a MYTH, and so are plateaus).

If i were you and you REALLY are being diligent with your logging, and you REALLY have accurate calorie burns (most standard calculators overestimate), then I would drop my daily goal by 250 cals for a week or too, and then see where you are.

What is your caloric deficit right now? Check your My Home > Goals.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    By eating so few calories you are slowing down your metabolism. Also, you need to do weights along with the cardio. If you don't want to be all skin and bones watch your protein. Working out and not eating enough protein you will burn your own muscle and then you only look like a skeleton with hanging skin (yuk!!)

I recommend reading "The New Rules of lifting for Women", by Lou Schuler. This book answers a lot of questions you may have.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    DO NOT eat more. You aren't losing weight because you are not burning enough calories for what you are taking in. (starvation mode is largely a MYTH, and so are plateaus).

If i were you and you REALLY are being diligent with your logging, and you REALLY have accurate calorie burns (most standard calculators overestimate), then I would drop my daily goal by 250 cals for a week or too, and then see where you are.

Actually if she was burning less then she was taking in, she would be gaining weight.. Not maintaining weight. Maintaining means that what she is taking in, equals what she is burning.

OP:
    I agree with everyone else.. Eat more, take a rest and start lifting those weights!
  • TOYGRRRL
    TOYGRRRL Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Try eating a little more beneficial fats adding calories and changing up the exercise. Do something that really gets you sweating and brings up your heart rate for stints at a time. Like sprint for a block or half a block during your walk or on the treadmill. It may give you the nudge you need. But above all else, relax and let it come on it's on. I had an almost 3 month plateaus before the scale moved for me twice during my year long journey. Good luck! Dedication is what will get you there.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options

Actually if she was burning less then she was taking in, she would be gaining weight.. Not maintaining weight. Maintaining means that what she is taking in, equals what she is burning.

OP:
    I agree with everyone else.. Eat more, take a rest and start lifting those weights!

You are arguing semantics. You get my drift.
    Eating more will not help anyone lose weight.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

OP:

It does actually. It is counter intuitive, but it works.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

OP:

No I am not arguing semantics.. If she was taking eating more then she was burning, then she would be gaining.. not maintaining.

To me it sounds like for all the exercise she is doing, she is not eating enough.. If your deficit gets to be too large, then you won't lose because the body is busy storing what it has because it's not sure where the fuel will come from next.

I eat between 1500-2000 calories a day.. and I lost 29 pounds doing it.. So I must have been doing something right!
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    It looks like you've been doing this for a while. Maybe try moving to maintenance for a week or two to give yourself a bit of a break? I've seen that suggested in several places as a good way to break a plateau.