Brussel Sprout Ideas!

Options

Replies

• carholl
    carholl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I grew up thinking the only way to eat brussel sprouts was boiled. Then I discovered roasting them..a little olive oil, dash of dijon mustard, salt and pepper. I think I roast all vegetables now...carrots, potatoes, asparagus...you name it I'll try roasting it!
  • DayAtATime
    Options
    I put them in a microwave glass bowl with a little water on the bottom and microwave covered for 3 minutes. Then drain off the water, add some lemon and salt and ready to eat. Of course, a little butter adds some great flavor.
  • Amisha136
    Amisha136 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    In the soup recipe I posted, your kitchen won't smell like that. :-)

But yes I agree, lol
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I grew up thinking the only way to eat brussel sprouts was boiled. Then I discovered roasting them..a little olive oil, dash of dijon mustard, salt and pepper. I think I roast all vegetables now...carrots, potatoes, asparagus...you name it I'll try roasting it!

Me too! I'd only had them boiled until about 2 years ago (I'm 50) and always hated them. Now they are on my most used food list. All those years wasted without my favorite veggies. Tragic!

I roast everything now too. Cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, parsnips, rutabaga, turnips, sweet potatoes ... just about anything that isn't leafy. I've been thinking lately about trying roasted cabbage.
  • kbugsmeemaw
    kbugsmeemaw Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Steam for 5-7 minutes, then grill them slowly, tossed in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper -- oh my!

EDIT: Use a veggie grill pan!

also you could broil at 450 if you don't have a grill or weather's not right :)
  • Brenda_Pancakes
    Brenda_Pancakes Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I second everyone who says roasted. Trader Joe's sells this bag of little ones for a couple bucks... I take em' and toss them with olive oil, a little salt, a little pepper, and garlic powder and put em in the oven for about 20 min or so... until they start burning. I like things burnt, so I like em pretty browned. But they are sooooooo good. Can't get my husband to touch em' w/ a 10 ft pole... but hey... more for me :)
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    Bump! I have some that are in the freezer and they need to be used up before they're freezer burned. haha
  • RillSoji
    RillSoji Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I cut them in half and bake them with salt, pepper, thyme, and a cup of chicken broth. 350° F for 30 minutes. When done, I put the pan on the burner and saute with red wine vinegar until a nice gravy forms. Best. Brussels Sprouts. Ever!
  • _kimberly_
    _kimberly_ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love cooking brussel sprouts like this...
    http://thismamamakesstuff.com/2010/01/brussel-sprouts-on-a-stalk/
  • Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Clean brussel sprouts and cut in half... Set aside

Cut two strips of bacon (yes bacon) into strips and fry. Remove pieces for later

Add some olive oil to pan (about two tablespoons)

Place sprouts cut side down in pan and Caramelize .. Do not flip.

After caramelized add chicken broth cover and simmer till tender

Serve with bacon pieces on top

Or

Clean brussel sprouts and cut in half and steam. Then add soy sauce and eat.
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I love roasting my brussels. Just clean them, leave them whole or cut in half, however you like. I usually put them in a large bowl and add about 1 TBS of olive oil and whatever herbs and spices I feel like that day.... the varieties are endless.... but I almost always use Mrs. Dash's Spicy. Then spread them on a pan, put in a 400 degree oven and roast for 20-30 minutes (depending on size). I usually take them out when they start to brown.

Yum...... now I'm in the mood for brussels!

This is the way I make them as well-roasting releases the natural sugars-salt, pepper, olive oil then when they're done-a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Awesome!!!
  • Snglmomof2
    Snglmomof2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump! I am always looking for good recipes for brussel sprouts!!
  • DarrenSeeley
    DarrenSeeley Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Cut in half and stir fry with soy sauce, garlic and ginger
  • tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Bump for later :)
  • Eliza1980
    Eliza1980 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Clean brussels, coat with olive oil and bake 450 for 25 minutes. Make sure to toss/flip every 10 minutes. During the last 5 minutes, coat with crushed garlic! Yummy

Total baking time 30 minutes.

PS: works for cauliflower also

And it works for broccoli too! I usually toss with a little bit of oil, parmesan cheese and a squeeze of lemon juice. Yum!
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Just found a fantastic springy-fresh brussels sprouts recipe that I tried last night. Pretty tasty!

http://www.brooklynsupper.net/2010/03/brussels-sprouts-with-lemon-and/

Cool, crisp, and reminiscent of a ceasar salad....only tons fewer calories. :happy:
    I'm thinking it would also taste nice with some chopped hard boiled egg....

Eating the leftovers for lunch today with lemon pepper tuna!
  • dana789
    dana789 Posts: 14
    Options
    bump- never have had any! will def try them now :wink:
  • Shyster2005
    Shyster2005 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love roasting my brussels. Just clean them, leave them whole or cut in half, however you like. I usually put them in a large bowl and add about 1 TBS of olive oil and whatever herbs and spices I feel like that day.... the varieties are endless.... but I almost always use Mrs. Dash's Spicy. Then spread them on a pan, put in a 400 degree oven and roast for 20-30 minutes (depending on size). I usually take them out when they start to brown.

Yum...... now I'm in the mood for brussels!

I do this too. I actually like using grapeseed oil because it has a higher "smoke point" and they are less likely to burn. They are so delish. No one else in my family likes them so I get them ALL TO MYSELF!
  • ck1416
    ck1416 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Last week for the first time I roasted them in the oven. Cut them in half, sprinkle with olive oil and sea salt. Bake at 425 about 20 minutes. Delicious! Some of the little leaves came off and were brown and crunchy and I left them on my plate. But I ate them a little later and they were like tasty potato chips!!! :)