Different Calorie Allowance Calculations

Options
MFP has my maintain calorie allowance at 1680. Im just about to start New Rules Of Lifting For Women, and the book works out my maintain calories at 1937, with extra on lifting days. There is different calculations to work out each, but which one is best to go for??

Replies

• Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    No-one wants to answer :sad:
  • Dokota2021
    Dokota2021 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Maybe consult a 3rd source...or a physician?
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    My impression is that the NRFL cals. are not Net...i.e. you don't eat back your exercise calories. That would make up for the difference.
  • sandiburn
    sandiburn Posts: 149
    Options
    I agree. I talk to nutritionist when I have a question about cal intake. good luck.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    i will say, that for many, MFP sets your cals a little low. Why not split the difference between the two and start there? You can either decrease or increase, after a few weeks, depending on how its going! :)
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
  • billtonkin
    billtonkin Posts: 109
    Options
    Does the book tell you what method it's using? If it's the Katch-McArdle Formula, then that is the most accurate. Something like this:

BMR = 370 + (21.6 x LBM) Where LBM = [total weight (kg) x (100 - bodyfat %)]/100
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if the difference were in exercise calories.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I just read the New Rules too, and the difference in calories makes me nervous too. I think the book said that you need to try it for a few weeks and adjust if necessary. Yesterday was my first day and I felt like I ate all day long.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    My impression is that the NRFL cals. are not Net...i.e. you don't eat back your exercise calories. That would make up for the difference.

This.
  • kanmuri
    kanmuri Posts: 112
    Options
    MFP tells me I should eat 1200 or less, but my nutritionist puts me at 1383 a day. He says it can be dangerous to eat 1200. I usually go over 1200, eating back some of my workout calories. So basically, I don't fret too much if I'm over 1200.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about the New Rules of Weight Lifting, but I can tell you that MFP and pretty much everything else are only guessing. There is no real way to accurately know how many calories your body burns with activity. It could truly vary from moment to moment. There are so many different parts of your body that require energy that there just is no way to be absolutely certain. My suggestion would be to follow the program that you are most interested in for at least 3 to 4 weeks. If you are not happy with the results, then change your calorie intake.
  • OnWisconsin84
    OnWisconsin84 Posts: 409 Member
    Options

This site was extremely helpful. I've been struggling with BMR, TDEE, etc. on other posts (I'm not an analyzer...) and this has very clearly laid things out for a spaz like me. Thank you :smile:
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh, I need to know the answer to this. I haven't started yet bc I can't decide. I have seen a few people not follow the nutrition guidelines and eat a lower amount of calories. I'm thinking I'm going to do 1700, my guidelines are about 200 calories more than yours, however.
  • SaraADaigle
    Options
    I would defiantly go speak to a nutritionist or a physician that can do an accurate BMR on you before you start your program.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    As a nutritionist and exercise physiologist with a minor in nutrition, I was overwhelmed by the shear number of formulas to estimate Calorie needs. We each pick our own favorite to memorize and look up any others we may need based on the specific needs of the individual we are working with, so you may very well get two different recommendations from two different nutritionists or dietitians. For example, while doing a research study in our local hospital as part of the internship I just finished, I recommended completely different numbers to the patients in my study then the registered dietitians on staff. I consulted with them prior to giving the recommendations and it was determined that my formula should be used because it accounts for activity and exercise where the formula they use regularly doesn't since they are primarily figuring Calorie needs for patients who are sedentary due to their hospitalization. Since my study was on patients who come in on an outpatient basis to exercise for cardiac rehab, they need more calories to for the exercise they are getting and their normal activities of daily living.

So my recommendation to you, look at what you are doing activity wise. Go with the Calorie recommendation that is going to best meet your activity needs. Also, check your body fat for your results, not just the scale. Losing weight on the scale is useless if it is lean mass you are losing. If one program is providing a better body fat loss, then that is the program you need to follow. Try each one for a minimum of 4-6 weeks and see which one works best for you to pick as your standard.