Vegetarian questions

Options
Meganalva
Meganalva Posts: 282 Member
I'm really thinking about becoming vegetarian. But I have some questions...

What do you do in social situations? Like going to someone's house, like the in-laws for instance, and they serve meat at the main dish? You can't just be like NO, I'm not eating that. lol I just don't know how I'd handle those kinds of things.

Also, do you ever get the craving for any meat products? I currently eat meat products fairly often, like maybe one type a day (turkey on my sandwich, chicken on my salad, etc). I want to be able to give it up but it seems so difficult.

Any tips or ideas about it in general? I'm researching it ALOT before I jump in, I don't want to have to quit.

Replies

• Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options

What do you do in social situations? Like going to someone's house, like the in-laws for instance, and they serve meat at the main dish? You can't just be like NO, I'm not eating that. lol I just don't know how I'd handle those kinds of things.

Also, do you ever get the craving for any meat products? I currently eat meat products fairly often, like maybe one type a day (turkey on my sandwich, chicken on my salad, etc). I want to be able to give it up but it seems so difficult.

Any tips or ideas about it in general? I'm researching it ALOT before I jump in, I don't want to have to quit.

If you mean vegetarian as in 'not eating meat' that's fairly easy: take your own substitute when you go to someone's house and explain you wanted to save them money. And quorn products can be used on salads etc you can also buy quorn sandwich meats :)
    However, a true vegetarian can't eat a lot of stuff because of gelatin - including a lot of sweets, chocolate etc. The decision to become vegetarian should not be taken lightly :)

I thought about it for a while and then realised i couldn't give up Haribo's haha!
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to become a vegetarian? That is the question you really need to be asking yourself.

I have been a vegetarian for 18 years. I get a craving very once in a great while for poultry, but the thought of actually eating it brings me back to reality and why I gave it all up. I rarely miss meat, poultry and fish. I will eat some of the vegetarian products like the boca chik patties, and veggie meatless balls, but I don't eat them very often. I tend to eat more beans and other products with lots of protein.

As for dealing with situations where the main dish is meat, I will just eat the sides. However, my friends know that I am a vegetarian and try to have an option for me. If not, I don't really make a big deal out of it and make due with what I can. It is my choice to be a vegetarian and I don't ask anyone to cater to me because it is my decision.

When I visit my family, my mother makes sure that there are products for me to eat. If not, I can always put something simple together with the food they have.

Yes you can say no, I am not eating that because I am a vegetarian. What is so wrong with saying no? If you had a food allergy you would have to say no. Don't be afraid to tell people no, but don't expect them to cater to you either because it is your choice to stop eating meat.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Even if the main dish is meat, there are usually plenty of side dishes that aren't. People understand that I don't eat meat. It's not a big deal.

I don't get cravings for meat. I thought I would, as I LOVED meat and ate it all the time before going veg. Sometimes the smell of it cooking makes me think about it, but the idea of eating it again actually turns my stomach, so that's a pretty big detterent (sp?).

Really, I just stopped eating it and wearing it, etc. But it is a learning process. I still eat eggs and dairy, so I get protein and some other vitamins from those. I cook in cast iron frying pans, which leeches iron into food and that helps with avoiding anemia. And there are supplements you can take if needed.
  • rml_16
    Options
    However, a true vegetarian can't eat a lot of stuff because of gelatin - including a lot of sweets, chocolate etc. The decision to become vegetarian should not be taken lightly :)

What chocolate has gelatin in it? If it's got marshmallow, sure. But a chocolate bar shouldn't have it.
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    DW and I are going the "Flexitarian" route. That means that we eat as vegetarians most of the time, but have one or two meals a week that have meat.
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options

What chocolate has gelatin in it? If it's got marshmallow, sure. But a chocolate bar shouldn't have it.

I didn't mean chocolate has gelatin in, i was listing it as a completely different product :)
  • rml_16
    Options

I didn't mean chocolate has gelatin in, i was listing it as a completely different product :)

OK. Re-read what you wrote.

Either way, why wouldn't a vegetarian be able to eat chocolate? You may be thinking of vegans, in which case only milk chocolate is out.
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've been vegetarian for over 20 years. I was a complete meat and potatoes type of person before I became vegetarian. I did it entirely for ethical reasons. Honestly, my cravings for meat ended within the first few months. I realized it really wasn't meat I was craving, but more particular types of food (like sweet and sour chicken) which could be easily made vegetarian with a little practice.

It was a little rough at first going to family gatherings. I became vegetarian at 19, so everyone thought I was a silly teenager going through a phase. I just brought my own main dish with me (like for Thanksgiving I'd bring a Tofukey with enough to share). That way no one felt like they had to prepare food just for me. I'm from the South, so even most side dishes contain meat. Filling up on sides wasn't really an option.

You learn pretty quickly which foods have hidden meat products, and really it's not all that difficult. Normally if you find that one brand of yogurt has gelatin, or one brand of sweet has lard, you can find another brand that doesn't.
  • jem33199
    jem33199 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian since '89 and there has been such a shift in that time. People are so much more veggie friendly than they used to be.

When someone invites me for dinner, I happily accept. :) I tell them that I'm a vegetarian so they don't need to prepare any meat for me. However, I let them know that they shouldn't cook anything special for me because I like to fill up on the side dishes (which, to me, are the main dishes). I always offer to bring food. If I say this casually, kindly and warmly then people are always happy to accomodate. If folks feel like I'm "preachy" or judging them then it can get tense (understandably). I come from Kentucky so going home to visit years ago used to present a challenge. Over the years, my family has incorporated more vegetarian meals into their diets too so veggie burgers, salads, bean burritos and spaghetti are easy choices that we can all enjoy.

I wish you all the best. Enjoy excellent health and yummy food!
  • wingchunrick
    wingchunrick Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I've been a strict vegetarian 35 years and welcome to give advice. Feel free to add me and ask any questions. I eat cheese (most uk cheeses contain non-animal rennet), most chocolates, quorn, soya etc.
  • chaniray
    chaniray Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i eat side dishes at other peoples houses. also, there is nothing wrong with being a vegetarian so if you don't eat meat then let the host know. don't expect them to cook up a great vegetarian meal but they may want to know why you aren't touching the roast beef.

i am not 100% vegetarian b/c i stil eat some seafood and i will taste test the meat that i cook for my family. if i do anymore more than taste test i normally get sick so i try to limit it to that.
  • Fit_and_Healthy
    Options
    If you decide to become a vegetarian, it is important to be educated on the subject to assure that you get proper nutrition for long term health. There is more to it than just giving up meat. I would suggest checking out a book called "the new becoming vegetarian" check your local library first, I know they have it at mine.
  • ambrwaves27
    ambrwaves27 Posts: 206
    Options
    My entire family is vegetarian, due to religious reasons. Here are a few things to try and, in my opinion, are so much better then the everyday grocery store substitute.

Worthington is a company that makes vegetarian alternatives to many meat products. You can find it in most health stores (just ask). They make a chili that I like to fool my friends with because it tastes so close to the real thing and they have a product called Frichik that is good lightly breaded and browned (with nonfat cooking spray of course). They are also low in fat and high in protein (bonus). I think that it is much easier to switch over if you have good substitutes for the things that you like.
  • flhedinger
    Options
    I think that the poster who said that you should consider why you want to become vegetarian had it right. If you want to become vegetarian for your health, then flexitarian is a good option - eat vegetarian most of the time, and have meat every now and then (one or two meals a week, for example) and just try to make healthy choices for your meat meals. This also would ease your discomfort in social situations.

On the other hand, if you really want to become a vegetarian, it really isn't as hard as it might seem. I have been vegetarian my whole life, and I have found that my approach to meals out or at peoples' houses is three-fold: a) let the host know ahead of time if possible; b) be relaxed and flexible - I eat what I can, don't eat what I can't, and don't talk about it either way; c) when people ask if I'm missing the food or apologize about the lack of good vegetarian options, I tell them that I did not come to the dinner for the food but for the company, and that keeps the conversation moving instead of awkwardly focused on my diet!

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Keep a package of veggie burgers with you lol. That way you can not require the host to make something special for you which I've always hated.
    I've been vegetarian my entire life so adapting things has always been normal to me. If I go to a restaurant and they don't have anything I always ask for them to remove the meat, or I'll order a burger minus the burger lol it's actually pretty good.
    I've been vegan for a year now and I've had to REALLY adapt things! =]
  • Pfitzer
    Pfitzer Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've been vegan for a little over a year now, and being raised in a typical meat an potatoes family it took some research and practice to learn how to cook different kinds of foods and stock my kitchen differently, but now that I know what to eat and how to prepare it I love being vegan. If I'm going to a large gathering I know about in advance I often prepare a large salad or something to share so I know there will be food for me to eat. I'm definitely not afraid to say no to meat dishes, and I've found 99% of people are very understanding and accommodating. My mother-in-law always makes a separate dish without meat and cheese when she knows I've coming.

I don't crave meat anymore, your tastebuds can definitely change. I made the transition to vegan slowly, adding one new recipe a week until I knew how to make a variety of different meals so I wouldn't get bored or frustrated and quit. Even know I try to make something new every week, there are so many amazing vegetarian cookbooks and bloggers there is no reason to eat a salad every day just because you don't eat meat.

If you want cookbook or recipe recommendations feel free to add me as a friend, I'd be happy to help!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    If you want to be vegetarian for ethical reasons that is fine but don't do it because you are under the mistaken belief that it is healthier to exclude meat.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Keep a package of veggie burgers with you lol. That way you can not require the host to make something special for you which I've always hated.
    I've been vegetarian my entire life so adapting things has always been normal to me. If I go to a restaurant and they don't have anything I always ask for them to remove the meat, or I'll order a burger minus the burger lol it's actually pretty good.

A lot of restaurants these days have a separate vegetarian menu, too.

Although, the last time I was somewhere and needed to ask for one, it was TINY and there was nothing edible (to me) on it. I ended up with a wedge salad minus the bacon.
  • tam120
    tam120 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Just about everything has a substitution. I made chickpea cutlets and ate them instead of the chicken cutlets I made for the rest of the family. I have made blackbean burgers in place of ground beef burgers. You can make your own seitan, which has a meaty-like consistency, it's made of vital wheat gluten, spices and such, it can be roasted, fried etc and depending on the flavors used to make it can also be used as a sub for pork sausage or pepperoni. I use Morningstar Farms veggie sausage patties on my english muffins in place of pork sausage. There is a product called Gardein, which has a very similar texture as chicken.
    Be careful of replacing meat with a lot of processed meat substitutes which aren't necessarily healthy alternatives if you're eating them every day.
    When I make my husband grilled chicken for our salads I spice up some black beans or pinto beans or garbanzo beans and cook them in a bit of olive oil for my protein. I use mushrooms in pasta sauce to give pasta dishes more texture and a meaty bite. There are so many ways to replace animal products.
    Try some blogs:
    OhSheGlows
    FatFreeVegan
    HappyHerbivore
    VegKitchen
    TheVeganRD
    Engine2Diet
    TheKindLIfe
    vrg.org
    PCRM.org
    VegetarianTimes

Some good cookbooks
    Veganomicon
    Vegan on the Cheap
    Forks Over Knives

There are also a few vegan/vegetarian groups here. Go to groups and search vegetarian.

When dining at someone else's house just let them know beforehand that you don't eat meat but don't expect them to go out of their way to make you something else. Open the door to the discussion and whether you should bring your own meat substitute or not. Most people understand as long as you're not trying to convert them and don't judge them for eating meat.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options

A lot of restaurants these days have a separate vegetarian menu, too.

Although, the last time I was somewhere and needed to ask for one, it was TINY and there was nothing edible (to me) on it. I ended up with a wedge salad minus the bacon.

Yeah forgot that part lol. Nearly every restaurant I've been to has a veggie burger of some sort. Than there are lots of pasta dishes.