If you are a 5'9 woman or taller....

Options

Replies

• loseiteli
    loseiteli Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Me 5...currently 244...and 6ft tall..my doc says 210 is perfect because of my xtra large frame...um..who says that? Anyway, I would rather be under 200 lbs..I will take 199.9 as long as I'm under...

This is me too!! haha. I just want to be in ONEderland. :)
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I just had the BMI argument with my doctor actually. He keeps pushing the agenda that I should aim for 150ish to be in the healthy BMI range. I was a semi-pro athlete in college and weighed 163/164 with 16% body fat... looked and felt amazing. I'd like to get back closer to that (my goal is 175 and I'm 5'11) yet technically 175 is still considered "Overweight" according to BMI charts. Remember that BMI does not take into account lean muscle mass! You'd think the doctor would realize that... hahaha :tongue:
  • McMeggers
    McMeggers Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    YAY for tall girls :) im 5'10 and at my smallest which is shameful i was 205 and i was in a 12 pants and medum/large shirt and i felt like i was looking very slim. ( unfortunatley im not 205 anymore but thats why im here right?) anyway my ultimate goal is 165-170 but to be honest id be happy just being out of the 200's
  • BattyMama
    BattyMama Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9 and was happiest at 120 pounds I was running 26+ miles a day and started my day at 4:30 am. I am now aiming for a fit strong 130 to 140.
  • mashallej
    mashallej Posts: 39
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and aiming for size 8, which is somewhere around 150 for me.

Same here!:smile:
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    "need a sandwich" :laugh: There is a big range of healthy weights and everyone carries their weight very differently. When you throw in muscle mass things get even more confusing. There are a couple of measurements that you can take to tell if you are on the right track.

Supposedly your wrist size can give you a clue to your frame size. Anyone else heard this? You wrap your thumb and your middle finger around your wrist. If the tips meet, you have a medium sized frame and should aim for the middle of the weight range. Middle finger falls below thumb tip for small frame sizes, etc. Not sure about that but I do know another very important measurement is your waist size. Supposedly this number can predict your heart health.

I am 5'10" and I have weighed everything from 145 (wedding day 18 years ago) to 190 (pregnant 11 years ago). I am very active so even when the scale has a high number I always feel like I look good.:laugh: I think this is where being taller is awesome. It feels like we can get away with weighing more somehow...
  • robinrainville
    robinrainville Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not quite 5'9 but I think you have to consider build...I am 190 in a size 12...shooting for 150-160 as an ultimate goal. Some people might say that's still too big, but I am, over all, a "big girl". I have been 155 at my lowest but no muscle tone and I looked pathetic. Now that I have muscle, I kinda doubt ill ever see 160. I would like a size 10 to be very comfy. Never happy, always wanting better...
  • robinrainville
    robinrainville Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Well I'm not quite 5'9 but I think you have to consider build...I am 190 in a size 12...shooting for 150-160 as an ultimate goal. Some people might say that's still too big, but I am, over all, a "big girl". I have been 155 at my lowest but no muscle tone and I looked pathetic. Now that I have muscle, I kinda doubt ill ever see 160. I would like a size 10 to be very comfy. Never happy, always wanting better...
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    IM 5'10 - 150 was my all time fave and I was a size 5 jeans - I WILL GET BACK THERE!!!!
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    5'10... I was a fit 172, size 10-12 and very hot. I was lifting heavy with a trainer and running.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9".

I started at 237. I just recently hit 155. I'm pretty happy at this weight, any changes I pursue now will be in body composition rather than trying to lose any more.

I think if I start lifting, I'll end up in the high 140's/low 150's and be really satisfied.
  • Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Oh god I feel like I'm completely underachieving right now! I'm 5'9" right now and my goal is 180 and then reassess. I can't imagine myself ever getting lower than 170 without looking like a skeleton. I'm very big-boned (seriously, I am! My skeleton is huge! LOL) and I think I'd look skeletal if I went lower than 170. So I'm going to play it by ear. I'll truly be thrilled if I get into a size 10 or 12 - I think that would look very healthy on my build. But I'll play it by ear. :-)

Don't feel that way! I'm 5 foot 9 and 168lbs and pretty happy with myself, im a size 8-10 on top and a 14 on bottom (UK size)
    Im pleased for everyone thats in the 150 but its not for everyone, i would look ill if got down there!

x
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10" and I can be happy and healthy anywhere between where I am now (156) and 185. Fitness and health are a lot more important than the number on the scale.
  • moonspells
    moonspells Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9 i am looking at 175 or 180

Me too! I remember being around 180 at the end of high school (a MILLION years ago! LOL) and looking at pics from that time, I looked pretty healthy so I've made that my starting GW. However, considering how long it's been since I've been anywhere near that, I'll probably have to reevaluate once I get closer...
    Good luck to all the tall ladies! :o)
  • Duckz1
    Duckz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm 6' and when I'm in the low 150s I feel pretty comfortable in my clothes. 160 is my "UGH need to lose weight" number. 145 is GW. I got to 146 a couple years ago for.... um... one day :)

I weighed 140 when I was 16 and almost 6' tall, I was all legs and arms. 145 at least lets me have boobs ;)
  • bchthrpy
    bchthrpy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 9" and I felt my best at 155 - 160, which is my goal now. Right now I am fluctuating around 176 - 178 and feel very uncomfortable since a lot of it is in my abs to thighs.
  • TrophyWifeSass
    TrophyWifeSass Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    5' 9" and weigh 152 today. More interested in being able to do a pull-up and get my BF% to 20%, it's 23%-24% now. I wear a size 4 thanks to strength training.

The scale is a lying cheating SOB and a horrible indicator of success imo.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8.75". My goal is about 150lbs. I'm about 160lbs now and not unhappy with it. I'm probably around 21% body fat.
  • 7memyselfandI
    Options
    I am 5'10" and just this week hit 146 lbs, down from 185 (GW 145). Its taken 2 years of slow and steady hard work, but I've formed lasting habits and am not finding it difficult at all now to live my new healthier lifestyle, its like second nature now making food choices and working out :) I pretty much wear any size 6 pants off the rack, sometimes size 4 depending on the brand, and size 4 dresses.